Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Intermittent Problem

Hi folks,

I've recently been having a problem that I have now convinced myself is not my imagination. Sometimes the car feels less "lively", as if something is holding it back. There also seems to be a certain extra noise, not dissimilar to tyre roar in these circumstances. There's no knocking that I can hear, more a whine.

The problem seems to come and go -- sometimes in the middle of a journey, sometimes there for days, sometimes no problem at all. Now I also think I'm getting some slight juddering on braking, but I can't be 100% sure. In any case, I'm now sure that something's not right!

So, any ideas what this is? Is it a sticking caliper maybe? Is there anything else that could be rubbing or causing friction? If so, is it the kind of thing a complete car ignoramus like myself could sort out? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Incidentally, the car is completely stock, not lowered, on 17" wheels if that rules out some potential problems.

Ta,

Si

Well, I haven't reset the ECU yet, but yesterday I decided I'd have another feel around to see if I could find anything rubbing or sticking. On the O/S front, I noticed that the shield behind the brake disc (what do you call this thing?) is pretty mangled in places. I think it had bent sufficiently to leave no clearance between it and the wheel/disc. Without even taking the wheel off, I pushed it back away (it probably shouldn't be that easy to bend, should it?) and the problem seems to have gone away. Could be just coincidence, of course, but does this sound like a likely cause of the original problem?

While I'm on the subject, is this something I should get replaced? It's quite mis-shapen, and I don't want to risk it rubbing on discs or wheels on a regular basis. Also, looking at the other side it seems to have a channel for air-cooling the disc. I'm assuming the cooling effect is being compromised as it stands. Is it worth getting sorted, or am I just being ultra-anal now?

Cheers,

Si

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links