Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Sonus Sfx Paint Renovator

Mr Morse

I had some Sonus SFX-1 and SFX-2 paint renovator arrive a couple of weeks ago but seeing as I don't have BB at the moment I decided to try it out on the Starlet.

I originally gave the Starlet the Klasse AIO & SG treatment by hand application about 4 months ago. Most of the oxidation came out but was starting to fade again and there were still visible swirl marks and micromarring on most panels.

After first washing and claying, this time I used the PCP, SFX-1 on the orange pad and made 2 passes North-South and then 2 passes East-West over each panel (the roof and bonnet I divided into 4), using a liberal application of the liquid and allowing the PCP to polish under it's own weight.

I was a bit concerned with the amount of red paint that was coming off onto the pad but it wasn't damaging the finish at all - in fact the improvements to the paintwork were instantaneous. Some areas just couldn't be polished to perfection - the previous owner seemed to enjoy spraying touch-up paint directly on top of the original paint without properly preparing the surface. And anyway it's a 9 year old car with 116K on the clock!

After buffing up the finished SFX-1 I gave 2 coats of the SFX-2 using the green pad. The SFX-2 has similar properties to Klasse AIO in that it leaves a highly polished surface behind. Both products are very thick and actually benefit from 10-15% dilution with a quick detailing liquid. It also helps to lightly spray the pad with detailer (I used mild soapy water) before each pass.

After the SFX-2 application I washed the car down with water to get rid of a ton of pink residue. I then gave it 2 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze followed by 2 coats of Souveran carnauba wax.

This wasn't a Mr Singh type project :D and I wasn't expecting miracles as the paintwork is too far gone for that, but the final results are simply stunning!

The SFX-1 product is really powerful stuff and I wouldn't recommend using it on the PCP for a beginner or novice as it has the potential for damaging the paint if applied incorrectly. I'd say use it maybe 2 times a year maximum on very dull or oxidised paintwork and always finish off with a few layers of SG and a good carnauba wax.

Anyway - the pictures:

gallery_8450_124_37527.jpg

gallery_8450_124_27032.jpg

gallery_8450_124_10796.jpg

gallery_8450_124_37527.jpg

Totally agree, its very good for removing scuffs, swirls, oxidation etc...

I got a very very wet look from two goes of it....

Looks excellent though!

I'm off out to try and bring my slightly daring project to an end ;)

WOW. Mike that looks the bees knees, well done mate.I remember the first pic posted, wouldn't think it was the same car.......................What you getting Babyshake as a replacement :question: Where's BB gone :question:

WOW. Mike that looks the bees knees, well done mate.I remember the first pic posted, wouldn't think it was the same car.......................What you getting Babyshake as a replacement :question:  Where's BB gone :question:

Yep, well pleased with the SFX treatment to the Starlet, I reckon it looks more like a 3 year old car now! It'll be up for sale next week after I've given it a service :P

Babyshake's away back to Cameroon for 3 weeks, now that she's passed her test the insurance gets less painful and she'd like an MR2 mk1, in red of course! :D

BB's still down with Dr Prolex having some plumbing work finished :whistling:

Brill, a 10 year old car shouldn't be shining like that.

I thought i did a spanking job using Maguires NXT Range on my dads battered old White Carina E Diesel, you must of spent hours.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links