Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ebc Red Stuff Pads V3

TheDon

Well i have been running these for over a week now, and i can say i am highly impressed.

The stopping distance on these are far better than the mintex pads i have been running, on average stopping me 10+ meters earlier from the same braking points as i used to have.

They cost about £89.99 for the fronts and come with new platic type shims that are self adhesive and have reduced the amount of squealing i used to get.

They also come with a "bed in" coating which means they work from the first moment you start driving!

Initialy i was after a set of Green stuff pads and phoned up EBC technical department to double check they would be the right ones after i had so much trouble with my mintex pads.

They (Bart) told me that EBC green stuff pads are not realy suitible for cars over the 200+ BHP mark.

After that they recomend you move up to the red stuff pads as they are designed to cope with higher operating temperatures etc without overheating and such other pad issues.

So i just thought i would share my experience with these pads thus far so that anyone thinking of getting new pads who has the supercharger or an IS300 could gauge the merits of these.

Initial bite from the pads is far better than standard but is not too much and doesnt feel like you have thrown an anchor out of the back. It is smooth and controled and realy has inspired a lot more confidence in later braking for me.

I also combined this with fitting new Calipers from Fargo's old car and a full bleed through whcih has removed all traces of spongy pedal feel which i was previously experiencing.

I hope this helps some people, i will also try and put up the part number at some point but if i cant find it just call the people at EBC as they are very helpful and knowlegeable.

What disks are you using with these EBC pads Chris?

Reason I ask is that I need to replace my entire braking system next week, both disks and pads, front and rear, Dave's sorting me out with some stuff but wondered what you're running with these mate?

They sound better :)

EBC is based in Northampton round the corner from me. So i popped along the other week and told them about my turbo conversion, 250 bhp. I'm looking to push up to around 300bhp.

They recommended that with the driving i do with the car, mainly motorway and town and not much track days, then the best ones would be the Greenstuff pads. Unless you running serious power and on tracks then change from Greenstuff.

It cost me £126 for Greenstuff pads front and back. I'm then going to change the front discs to the EBC turbo, as they're only about £10 more than Prolex pagid ones.

Are they just crap quality? I've only just had them fitted but not got my car back yet to try them. Are mintex better?

I've heard some people from shops / garages not just LOC slag off EBC for mintex and vise versa.

Is it down just to preferance or is one better than the other?

sorry i havent replied, haveny been on since i posted.

I just spoke to EBC technical over the phone.

I will be ordering the rear red stuff pads very soon to even out the braking.

As for me i think the mintex pads and discs that i had were appauling as they glazed over very quickly and went bad from there.

i suppose its down to how you brake in the end, i like the feel of the EBC pads far more than the Mintex ones as they have stayed very consistent so far be it in the wet or dry. there is a lot of feed back and they suit me.

I am personaly looking at getting some tar-ox or similar discs to go with these pads. At the moment all is working fine.

Well i have been running these for over a week now, and i can say i am highly impressed.

The stopping distance on these are far better than the mintex pads i have been running, on average stopping me 10+ meters earlier from the same braking points as i used to have.

They cost about £89.99 for the fronts and come with new platic type shims that are self adhesive and have reduced the amount of squealing i used to get.

They also come with a "bed in" coating which means they work from the first moment you start driving!

Initialy i was after a set of Green stuff pads and phoned up EBC technical department to double check they would be the right ones after i had so much trouble with my mintex pads.

They (Bart) told me that EBC green stuff pads are not realy suitible for cars over the 200+ BHP mark.

After that they recomend you move up to the red stuff pads as they are designed to cope with higher operating temperatures etc without overheating and such other pad issues.

So i just thought i would share my experience with these pads thus far so that anyone thinking of getting new pads who has the supercharger or an IS300 could gauge the merits of these.

Initial bite from the pads is far better than standard but is not too much and doesnt feel like you have thrown an anchor out of the back. It is smooth and controled and realy has inspired a lot more confidence in later braking for me.

I also combined this with fitting new Calipers from Fargo's old car and a full bleed through whcih has removed all traces of spongy pedal feel which i was previously experiencing.

I hope this helps some people, i will also try and put up the part number at some point but if i cant find it just call the people at EBC as they are very helpful and knowlegeable.

I had EBC Green stuff, they was ok but it seemed like i had to stand on the brak to get the car to stop ;) and i have Prolex 16 G/pagid discs as well :whistling:

so i went from the EBC's to mintex pads with the 16 G/pagid discs IMO they are 10 times better than EBC pads ,

you say you are running RED's i was told they was for cars doing well over 300bhp,

0845 225 5011

thats the number for EBC, i spoke with Bart there in the technical department.

I was told that the Red stuff pads were for fast road use and were designed for cars on the 200+ Bhp market, or better suited to heavier cars also. I think if you put red stuffs in a saxo or something nearer 1 tonne then you would have trouble.

They do need a little bit of warmth to get them working fully but not much, just one good brake from 50mph - 25mph.

I have now done over 300 miles on them and they just keep getting better.

My mintex pads were good for the first 2000 -3000 miles then under heavy braking went bad!

For £89.99 i would rather stop consitantly rather than £50 and have to keep wondering when they will fade. cant wait to get new discs though as i think that they will work even better with them.

(Please note these are my opinions and not to be read as a difinitive guide to the Red stuff pads)

nope reds are for cars over 200 hp.....205 with the superchatrger, is over.

however as you have pointed out chris, there fast road/track pads, so you said you have to warm them up...yep thats true, so lets presume your on the motorway...need to brake urgently, ..........

fast road pads mean there for spireted driving...i.e track days etc etc.

if your happy with EBC, then thats great....i think there pants, ebc have only managed to keep in the market, because, there bike brake components ARE GOOD, and the fact, they plaster there adverts in all the boy racer mags.

ive read the ebc site........not much factual technical infomation to back there product up.......now go look at the mintex site, or any other performance brake manufacturers site.

Bart....barts gonna tell you whatever you want to hear regarding EBC products, aslong as he gets a sale.

obviously, this is all just my opinion aswell

i will let you have a go of these ones matt, i had to make an emergency brake after 20-30 mins on motorway with little braking and it was damn good. even when you pull out of drive they still feel stronger from cold than the mintex did when hot.

when they are hot they are frigging awsome! lol

Hi

Im the market for some new front dics/pads. I have a stock is200. I prefer the look of the brembo slotted/drilled discs but they start getting costly.

I have been in contact with a company trying to sell me ebc discs and redstuf pads. When i queried the greenstuff price he said that redstuff were more suitable due to the weight of the car. however, im reading quite a lot of contradictory feedback and cant make my mind up.

EBC Discs + greenstuff or red stuff pads

Brembos + standard or uprated pads

mintex standard discs and pads (prolex)

pagid discs + mintex pads (prolex)

dba discs + sports pads (tdi or prolex)

I do a fair bit of motorway driving to work and so perhaps redstuff may not keep hot enough...but there are also good reports!

Im trying to keep the cost c£200. Some of these combinations are creeping up to £300 with vat and carriage.

Help! I do not wish to waste money on the wrong option!

Rich

nope reds are for cars over 200 hp.....205 with the superchatrger, is over.

however as you have pointed out chris, there fast road/track pads, so you said you have to warm them up...yep thats true, so lets presume your on the motorway...need to brake urgently, ..........

fast road pads mean there for spireted driving...i.e track days etc etc.

if your happy with EBC, then thats great....i think there pants, ebc have only managed to keep in the market, because, there bike brake components ARE GOOD, and the fact, they plaster there adverts in all the boy racer mags.

ive read the ebc site........not much factual technical infomation to back there product up.......now go look at the mintex site, or any other performance brake manufacturers site.

Bart....barts gonna tell you whatever you want to hear regarding EBC products, aslong as he gets a sale.

obviously, this is all just my opinion aswell

Sounds like a good idea!

I think the dba discs/mintex 1144s look the most tempting on the prolex site but are out of stock! They may as well look good if you gonna spend that sort of cash! ;)

Certainly the standard blank mintex discs are good value!

Rich

I need new brake pads all round too, but fancy some new drilled/slotted disks too. Maybe if we both buy them Mr Prolex could do us a deal ;)

the other side to the red stuff pads is life span! good braking comes at the cost of miles to pad!!

Basicaly if your doing the general hum drum driving i suggest a set up as close to stock as possible.

Drilled discs have a tendacy to crack sometimes and are suited to hard braking and track use mostly.

In the end it comes down to your ££££. EBC has its fans and haters, Mintex has its fans and haters.

Everyone has different driving styles and ways of braking so what is good for one may not be good for another.

Maybe just go with the EBC discs and pads in my opinion as they have a good back up service

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links