Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Trd Radiator Cap - Help?

scorcher

Just had this shiny little fella delivered, and really should have read the eBay listing BEFORE buying it! :blush:

32_1_b.JPG

It says...

(1) TRD (127kPa) 1.3kg/cm2 Valve opening pressure

(2) Raises your boiling point to give you better cooling

(3) Also fits on Most late model Toyota and Lexus IS300 GS300 400 430 models.

...raises my (or my radiator's I presume) boiling point? Is that a good thing?

eBay description

Help!

Just had this shiny little fella delivered, and really should have read the eBay listing BEFORE buying it!  :blush:

32_1_b.JPG

It says...

(1) TRD (127kPa) 1.3kg/cm2 Valve opening pressure

(2) Raises your boiling point to give you better cooling

(3) Also fits on Most late model Toyota and Lexus IS300 GS300 400 430 models.

...raises my (or my radiator's I presume) boiling point? Is that a good thing?

eBay description

Help!

i have one of these on my gs no ill effects at all

by raising the relief pressure all it means is the water in the rad can be cooled by the airflow for longer before it just recirculates i don't know what the difference would be between the 0.9 and the 1.3 temp wise but if it was a great difference your thermostat would pick it up

All i have noticed is i get upto operating temp quicker other than that its nice and shiny :D

All i have noticed is i get upto operating temp quicker other than that its nice and shiny :D

Hmm .... I wonder if that's a good thing ? :huh:

well most of the damage in your engine is caused when its cold so in theory it should be a good thing as there is no thermal shock involved

Increases the operating pressure from 12.8psi to 18.5psi.  Hope your gaskets and hoses are in good shape!

(unit conversions courtesy of www.onlineconversion.com)

Car is under a year old, so should be - but don't want to knacker the engine - eek!

I'm scared now :crying:

The radiator cap acts as more than just a "lid" for your radiator; it keeps your engine cool by sealing and pressurizing the coolant inside it. As the coolant in the cooling system heat up, it expands. As it expands it creates pressure in the cooling system. As the pressure increases, the boiling point of the coolant increases. The radiator cap is a pressure relief valve that controls the amount of pressure in the cooling system. What makes this important is that the higher the temperature of the coolant is, the greater the temperature gap between it and the air temperature is. So a cooling system under a predetermined amount of pressure takes heat away from the engine faster, which makes it more efficient.

This pressure increase can raise the boiling point of the coolant by about 50 degrees. The hotter the coolant is, the faster the heat in it moves to the radiator and the air passing by. When the cooling system pressure reaches about 15 psi, the valve in the radiator cap opens allowing the coolant to leave the cooling system. The coolant flows from the radiator to the bottom of the overflow tank through the overflow tube.

the system should easily be able to handle 4 psi and as its a TRD part done specifically for the model then i would put my faith in their research

Im keeping the standard cap on mine,the idea is good but more chance of something going POP.If youve got uprated coolant hoses and headgasket then things would be ok.

And theres me thinking these TRD caps are worth 30 BHP :D

Increases the operating pressure from 12.8psi to 18.5psi.  Hope your gaskets and hoses are in good shape!

(unit conversions courtesy of www.onlineconversion.com)

Car is under a year old, so should be - but don't want to knacker the engine - eek!

I'm scared now :crying:

The radiator cap acts as more than just a "lid" for your radiator; it keeps your engine cool by sealing and pressurizing the coolant inside it. As the coolant in the cooling system heat up, it expands. As it expands it creates pressure in the cooling system. As the pressure increases, the boiling point of the coolant increases. The radiator cap is a pressure relief valve that controls the amount of pressure in the cooling system. What makes this important is that the higher the temperature of the coolant is, the greater the temperature gap between it and the air temperature is. So a cooling system under a predetermined amount of pressure takes heat away from the engine faster, which makes it more efficient.

This pressure increase can raise the boiling point of the coolant by about 50 degrees. The hotter the coolant is, the faster the heat in it moves to the radiator and the air passing by. When the cooling system pressure reaches about 15 psi, the valve in the radiator cap opens allowing the coolant to leave the cooling system. The coolant flows from the radiator to the bottom of the overflow tank through the overflow tube.

the system should easily be able to handle 4 psi and as its a TRD part done specifically for the model then i would put my faith in their research

:geek: COOL... :geek::lol::lol::lol:

Now have a sit down Austin :duh: :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links