Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Golf

Anees

Now that I'm getting OLD :blink: I need to get some regular exercise. I find gym work very boring.

I have heard that golf is good fun however. I have never played golf (well except crazy golf which I lost) so am after some advice from the seasoned pros on here!

Whats the best place to start? I heard the municipals are good -not sure what they are however?

Do I have to buy my own kit straight away? Its expensive - JJB were selling some clubs at £200 a peice!

What about golf clubs? I was told to join a club you had to be recommended by an existing member :blink:

I have no clue about the rules either - apart from hit the ball into the hole in as few shots as possible!

I have a few mates interested (we are lazy and don't like proper exercise! :P )

Whats a handi-cap??

Any Advice appreciated?

You need your own set of clubs to play. But can hire them from most courses. The only problem being they are always ***** clubs. You'll also be better off playing municiple courses as they let anyone on and you dont have to be a member.

My advice mate would be to go up a driving range and hit some balls, get used to hitting a ball. Also start off with either pitch and putt course or a par 3 course to see if you like the game. If you do you can then buy a cheap set of clubs to start off with. You can pick up a cheap set for £100 - £200 from a sport shop.

If you get bitten by the bug you'll then spend loads of money on new clubs and and loads of time playing.

It'll then be a toss up between a new £500 driver (golf club) or something else for the car :P

Yeh you need your own clubs, rules say you can't share equipment, buy a cheap set cos hiring is no goog as all clubs are different in how they feel and play.

If you've never hit a golf ball book some lessons, group lessons are quite cheap and there are loads of places that do them. If you try on your own or have a mate who plays try to teach you (unless he is single figure handicap) it will take a pro loads of lessons to sort out the bad habits you pick up.

Handicap: easy if the course has a par of 72, and you regularly go round in 100 shots, you play to a handicap of 28. No of shots less handicap = par.

As for rules, play the ball as it lies and do what you think is fair and look up the rule after.

Thanks for the great advice!

To be honest I was expecting mainly GS/LS owners to respond! Steretypical I know! :blush: :D

(I also expected Lexus owners to wear twead jackets with leather elbow patchs and speak queens english! :P -soon found that to not be true when I bought my car! :lol: )

I think I'll take Adie's advice and try a golfing range - I assume I don't have to buy my own kit to try these! :D

@Wosket - I know Golf is not the most physically demanding game but then its better then nothing (plus its a skive really)! :hehe:

Another thing- you don't have to wear those strange bright golf clothes do you? :unsure:

I'll look on the internet for a website explaining what all the different clubs are - they all look the same to me! :lol:

Thanks

Take a look round some of the golf club shops too, they very often have 2nd hand clubs in full or half sets. That will save you shed loads and you very often get a set of cllubs which were top of the range 5 / 10 years ago :)

See if you can find a local pitch and put or a 9 hole to start off on. If your having a crap time and not enjoying it, knowing you've still got another 15 or so holes in front of you is the last thing you want to think about :)

Please take my advice and get some lessons first, it will make your life easier in the future. You can go to a driving range and borrow clubs but they are c**p.

Try this Link I think it's not to far from you and they have a place near me and are pretty good. Lessons used to be cheap and if you get your mates together and book a block for all of you they will probably give you a discount. They will also advise on the right clubs to buy. Looks posh on the web site but they are "pay and play" like a municipal course.

Forgot to add that a round of golf takes about 3 1/2 hours if you are quick and don't get held up and totals about 4 miles of walking carrying a set of clubs so is a good bit of exercise. Plus it is fun when I play me and my mates rip the pi*s out of each other.

golf is played by men with small balls  :D

Got it in a nut shell :hehe: , or got it in one :hehe:

But you drive a Lexus GS and you DON'T play golf? :duh:

My whole belief system has just been shattered!! :duh: :P

@Neil.....thank you for taking the time to find that link. They are not too far from me so I will check them out. Didn't realise golf was so much walking which is really good!

Anees

Go to the driving range (golf not cars) at the Trafford Centre & whack a few balls I am sure they will lend you some sticks. When I last went only cost a few quid. Also Cranford in Heaton Mersey. See if you like it.

Get few lads together and hack around a municipal like Flixton or Altrincham.

Mini meet at a driving range?

It is a very boring 'sport' played by those who want to get away from the misses for 3 hrs.........sport involves raising the heart beat above 100-120 for as long as is good. dont like it........s*x is better! :D

It is a very boring 'sport' played by those who want to get away from the misses for 3 hrs.........sport involves raising the heart beat above 100-120 for as long as is good. dont like it........s*x is better! :D

Not a boring sport to those who play it :winky:

But i agree s*x is better :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links