Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Back End Steps Out Too Much!

Hi,

Recently bought a Y reg IS200 SE which has the ZR17 tyres on it. I have noticed that in the wet, especially when going around round-a-bouts that the back end steps out way too much - this is with tracktion control on. The tracktion control does not even kick in! Is this normal? Or is it something to do with the tyres?

Any advice would be most apprecicated!

Mike

if you have the dunlops - they are summer sports tyres - and as such, struggle with standing water and snow/ice.

What happens is the tyres aquaplane - which means they lose contact with the road - the traction doesnt kick in, mainly because it doesnt 'sense' wheelspin.

Just take it easy - drive smoothly and you'll notice a big difference, in the wet just be progressive with the steering and accelerator and you'll be fine.

Traction Control won't stop you slideing it stops wheelspin.

I would say tyres are the problem, take the advice of Fidgits on driving style.

It all part of the fun of RWD.

Have your geometry checked (if you haven't already). I had the same problem, was losing grip all over the place, once I got the geometry sorted, no problems at all :winky:

I'd be willing to bet this is your first rear wheel drive car...

So your driving the IS as you have driven all your front wheel drive cars... which would explain 50% of the problem.

You see, the different drivetrains require completley different driving styles, where a FWD car you use the engine to 'pull you out' of the corner, RWD requires balance and finesse - dont worry, you'll get the hang of it...

I had SP9000's on my old SE and thought they were wicked - never any probs in the wet.

Only probs was in snow. But we all know about IS's in the snow!!!

You better get yours checked over fella.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links