Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

High Mileage Lexus Is200

Hi all,

Im looking to buy a lexus IS200 very soon, but im not sure of a few things!

1: Is the automatic gearbox better than the manual

2: Are cars with mileages over 100,000 reliable

3: Is the se model better than the sports model

4: What are the servicing costs like

Oh im looking to spend about £6000

Thanks for your time guys' cant wait to get mine

:driving: soon to be LEXUS owner :D

1. Depends what you're looking for. If you want an easy drive while around town or stuck in jams then the auto is better. The manual is more fun and faster.

2. Mines only done 75k so can't speak from experience but they're meant to be.

3. SE is lower trim than Sport (which has spoiler, tints, limited slip diff, chrome bits, 15mm lower suspension) but if you don't want them then you'll save money by buying an SE. See http://lexusownersclub.co.uk/articles/UK%2...eet%20IS200.pdf

4. Depends. Some are cheap - just over £100. Some are big, eg 60k is about £600.

I dont think the manual/auto argument is any more complex than what you prefer. I've heard people say the auto is sluggish compared to the manual, but if your driving around London a lot, your left leg would probably appreciate the auto box.

As long as the car has been regularly serviced, and not thrashed, it should be reliable.

Servicing varies, i would set aside about £250+ every 10k

The sport has everything the SE has, plus a LSD and a few 'crome' trimmings...

i'm in the same boat sjf...

1. gearbox type is a matter of drive usage. like javadude said, auto is great for around town, stop n start journeys. although the manual provides more power and if you're the type of guy that i am, then you'll much prefer the manual, to exploit that 2.0litre straight 6. :)

2. i'm looking at the higher mileage cars, as they are far less costly to buy. i have however noticed that the bonnets of the higher mileage cars are quite heavily chipped n scratched, so it may require a bit of TLC to the bodywork. as for the mechanics... it's a lexus :winky: !

3. The sport is a higher spec car, although the compromise between luxury and sports power, is leant towards the sporting end. If you can dismiss the chrome, tints and spoiler, then the only REAL thing the SE lacks is the LSD. I'll be going for an SE myself.

4. Above 60k, you probably only need to spend £100 a service plus parts. As you won't be needing a big service for a while. If the mileage is closer to 120k, then you can expect your first bill to be of a prestige amount, depending on condition and care taken of the car.

I just hope that all the ex-Lex owners have taken as much care of their car as i plan to do in the future. :D

that's my view on it.... :blush:

Hi all,

Im looking to buy a lexus IS200 very soon, but im not sure of a few things!

1: Is the automatic gearbox better than the manual

>Like all the others have said, both gearboxes (auto & manual) are good, it all depends on what sort of driving you will be doing.  For 'start/stop' journeys, the auto is ideal, but for long distance/motorway driving, i'd say go for the manual box, as you can fully exploit the power of the 2.0 litre 6 pot engine.

2: Are cars with mileages over 100,000 reliable

>Try and buy an IS which has covered 60,000 + miles and check that the 60K service has been done. (Check the service history of the car fully and HPI the car).  The reason for this is that the 60K service is a major service and it is quite expensive at the dealers, about £600!.

3: Is the se model better than the sports model

>Again, like what the others have said, the differences between an SE and Sport is that a Sport model will come with rear tints, crome scuff plates and pedals, rear spoiler, 15mm suspension drop and LSD, so again its down to personal choice.  BTW- only the SE comes with both auto or manual gearboxes, where as the with the Sport you can only buy one with a manual gearbox.

4: What are the servicing costs like

>The IS servicing costs vary.  The IS should be serviced at every 10K, but the IS needs a major service at the 60K mark, that's why I suggest you try to buy one that has has the 60K service done.  Roughly, a 10K service would cost around about £100-£150 at a dealer (dealer prices vary, so ring around for servicing quotes) and a major service like a 60k service would cost about £600 at a dealer.  Also, if you buy a IS which has done 100K+, check that the timing belt has been replaced, again, this would probably cost about £500-£600 at a Lexus dealer.  You may want to get your servicing done at a non-Lexus garage, this will be cheaper, it all depends on if you want to keep the service (stamps in the service book)history on the car up-to-date.

Oh im looking to spend about £6000

>Try and up your budget to £7500-£8000, then you'll be sure of getting a cracking IS!

Thanks for your time guys' cant wait to get mine

:driving: soon to be LEXUS owner  :D

My bit - i've got an SE and it was my choice when I bought it at the time, I could have bought a Sport but wasn't bothered about the LSD or tints, chrome pedals etc - it's down to personal choice, the SE is as good as the Sport IMO.

Auto / manual - as already said above it's where you live that suits the type of driving, I live near Chester and the manual is great for me. And to add to add the straight six sounds great when your driving the car hard and changing gears manually !

Mine's due for a 60k service soon, it's 3 years old and I have had no problems other than the corroded alloys which have been replaced under warranty.

I think for £6k you'll only get an S model, as said above pay extra and at least go for an SE you will not be disappointed.

2. i'm looking at the higher mileage cars, as they are far less costly to buy. i have however noticed that the bonnets of the higher mileage cars are quite heavily chipped n scratched, so it may require a bit of TLC to the bodywork. as for the mechanics... it's a lexus  :winky: !

My car has 44K and spent most of its life in a garage and has a pepperpot bonnet - any car that has done high mileage is going to have this problem..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links