Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Painting Plastic Bits In Engine

GALLA_4

Hi All

I see some members on here like Bazza and Stu to name but a few have painted their bits! (In the engine bay that is!!!!!)

Is it a special kind of paint needed to go onto the plastic bits?

Is the heat a problem?

I have an Astral Black IS200 an was thinking of painting things like ECU cover and fuse box red. What would that look like do you guys think?

GALLA_4

not really

need to key the surface, light rub with wet and dry

use a plastic primer

then most general sprays will do the job

they dont get too hot

or take them down the local sprayshop, wouldnt think it would cost much

:D

not really

need to key the surface, light rub with wet and dry

use a plastic primer

then most general sprays will do the job

they dont get too hot

or take them down the local sprayshop, wouldnt think it would cost much

:D

plasticote spray will work to or if you feel like it nip to the local shoe repairers and see if they will flog you a can of the spray they use for retouching ladies stillettos but that does come out very gloss (i used it on my raf shoes to save me polishing em :D)

you need to use a decent primer, i once tried using the Halfords plastic primer and it didnt work too well with the plastic and ended up peeling off.

once you have keyed up the surface you need to wipe down with panel wipe, primer it several times, rub that back, several light mist coats of the paint allowing 5-10 mins between coats until its built up. Then leave to dry for quite a few hours somewhere warm. if its not glossy enought you need to clear coat it by first rubbing the paint with 800-1000 grit paper until finish is dull. then spray several coats over that with 10-15 mins between coats. finaly rub the surface down with 12-1400 grit paper to remove all the high points and then compund polish it with something like t-cut.

that should leave you with a decent finish.

err or,, key the surface with wet n dry 800 then 1200.

get some Halfords primer/filler (yello in colour) and spray it on, let it flash off then a bit more,, you dont need a lot of this stuff..

wait a GOOD few hours, ideally overnight before applying the colour.. i sued Plasticote stuff, spray it on lightly at first,, allow to flash off then sapry more building it up till its all covered,, again i would leave it overnight before applying Halfords clear laquer.

end result...

gallery_2234_97_681816.jpg

gallery_2234_97_649311.jpg

gallery_2234_97_221976.jpg

although you can see some cracking in the surface, this was due to my impatience...

thats not fair!!!!

thats the colour i have used on my covers mr fargo!!!

oh well, great minds think a like! (or idiots think in pairs, whichever you feel more appropriate!!)

Stu

admittedly i had my bodyshop spray mine, so the paint is a bit thicker than that of the cans.

i'm going to take mine to work see if the composite bay will put a couple of layers of carbon fibre across them :D

admittedly i had my bodyshop spray mine, so the paint is a bit thicker than that of the cans.

i'm going to take mine to work see if the composite bay will put a couple of layers of carbon fibre across them :D

Me too, I like the idea of carbon fibre.... ;)

sirmarkwilson are you out there?

Me too, I like the idea of carbon fibre.... ;)

sirmarkwilson are you out there?

will be able to show you what the carbon fibre stuff looks like soon i have it all tee'd up now will be getting done in the next few weeks so the fuse box intake duct and othermisc plastic bits are going to be given a lay up of carbon fibre unless of course i can convince them to use kevlar :winky:

i used it on my raf shoes to save me polishing em :D

why not Use Nose Cone paint.........

even WE heard about that one.....bit hard justifying it where i am though :D ive still got 9/10ths of a tin

even WE heard about that one.....bit hard justifying it where i am though :D ive still got 9/10ths of a tin

flexane paint nah i fancy a bit of carbon fibre because it will be different to get it all done and how'd you get nosecone paint been using it for underseal have we (and toecaps) :D

flexane paint nah i fancy a bit of carbon fibre because it will be different to get it all done and how'd you get nosecone paint been using it for underseal have we (and toecaps) :D

the wonders of the SCOC disc :whistling:

lol...i cannot beleive there on the net....SCOC :D

the wonders of the SCOC disc :whistling:

ah right i'm with you we use something slightly different but that hasn't stopped one idiot from ordering 6 tristars (just a good job someone spotted the mistake)

Has anyone ever come across a spray that gives a mirror chrome finish or is that going to be a job for the platers/coaters ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links