Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus 6th Gear

can anyone inform me of why lexus use a 6th gear in their manual cars.

most other cars including BMws and Mercs just stick to 5 but only the super sporty M3 and soon to arrive delicious lookin Audi RS4 have 6 but they are way more sportier in terms of performance and looks than the IS 200 Sport

The 6th gear is great for motorway driving especially when you've got the compressor kit fitted :whistling:

I've not used the "7th" gear yet though. Might go back to the future :duh: :hehe:

The 6th gear is great for motorway driving especially when you've got the compressor kit fitted :whistling:

I think that 6th should be higher. It's still spinning at 3-4000 rpm at motorway speeds whereas most other cars in the IS class are much lower and more relaxed. The close ratio box is good - but I do think 6th sould be tailored more as a cruising gear. Hardly any difference between 5th and 6th when compared.

I've not used the "7th" gear yet though. Might go back to the future :duh:  :hehe:

Would not recommend using the 7th gear whilst motorway cruising :crybaby:

IMHO 6th is about equivalent to 5th on most cars so the gears are closer ratio than a standard box especially 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. This allows you to keep the engine "singing" above the magic 4500 :D

Matb thats why I only get 25 to the gallon.

I've not used the "7th" gear yet though. Might go back to the future 

Thats only when you hit 88mph though. When did you do your mister fusion generator mod :hehe:

I bought a great bit of kit off some bloke from the american eBay. Looked a bit like a toaster but after some repairs, works brilliantly :P :D :hehe:

Don't you use the "Rally-Gear"???  :blink:

There must be an R on the shift knob..... maybe you try it after the 6th gear.  :lol:

Why is the Rally Gear so far away from 6th? Seems weird that they put it way over the other side of the box. Oh well, I'll give it a go next time I'm doing in excess of 160 on the gravel...

Don't you use the "Rally-Gear"???  :blink:

There must be an R on the shift knob..... maybe you try it after the 6th gear.  :lol:

Why is the Rally Gear so far away from 6th? Seems weird that they put it way over the other side of the box. Oh well, I'll give it a go next time I'm doing in excess of 160 on the gravel...

Decided on a static practice from 6 to "rally" and it "beeped" at me, thought must be warp drive so won't try with TRC off :hehe:

I've not used the "7th" gear yet though. Might go back to the future 

Thats only when you hit 88mph though. When did you do your mister fusion generator mod :hehe:

Don't Prolex do 'em? :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links