Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

What Digital Camera.

Bob King

Thanks Mate! :D Somthing to think about ;)

At work we have a few Sony Cybercam P10?? 5MP cameras that seem excellent quality too!

They are good too ....... but are a little more expensive, because it's a "sony"

Bought a copy of Digital Camera Buyer this morning, being having a good read and seeing what they recommend within a £200 price bracket....

The Editor's choice......Pentax Optio S50 ....£169,

Casio Exilim EX-Z40 ....£170.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC80....£169,

Pentax Optio S5i....£205.

As i would prefer to stick with AA batteries ( as i have just bought a new one with 2300 mha batteries) , it seem out of the above ,the only one that ticks all my boxes is the Panasonic .

Question please....with memory cards, what's the difference between a CF and a CF1 ?.

One other option that been recommended is the Canon Powershot A520......your thoughts please.

Thanks for the advise Scarface so far, but you've gone a bit over my budget :o :winky: , think i come under the category of the "Snap and shoot" :D

I got a Kodak DX7630 6.1 M Pixel with 3x Optical zoom and 10x? digital zoom. Quality is superb. I also loke the "docking port" you just sit it on and press the button and off your pics go

10 x Digital Zoom is pretty crap.

You need a decent "optical" zoom, over the digital zoom ........

Optical Zoom will magnify the image to an "optimum" level ...... then the digi zoom enhances that zoom even more, ...... losing resolution on the way !

Never use the digital zoom, like you say you lose resolution. But with 6.1 M pixel you can go 2x digital zoom and still have the same res as a 3 M pixel camera :D

File sizes vary from 1 - 2 MB at full res, the software allows you to "save as" to lose resolution and make the files smaller so you get the best of both worlds, hi res images that can be made into smaller files for posting or e-mail.

Also like I said the docking port (not printer dock) is good it allows you to just sit the camera on to charge and transfer files. No messing about with cables.

Currys are knocking them out for £199 at the moment on the Web.

Bought a copy of Digital Camera Buyer this morning, being having a good read and seeing what they recommend within a £200 price bracket....

I'd get that one mate ^ ..................... :geek:

Last year I picked up a Canon S1 IS and I've been chuffed to bits with it. What I always found with cameras was that the subject for about half the photos I took was just that little bit too far away and ended up as a dot in the middle of the pic.

The S1 has an optical 10x zoom which is just awesome. I've easily taken some of the best pics ever while on holiday with this camera simply because the zoom lets you get right up close and the IS part makes sure that the picture is rock steady even if you're not.

It's only 3.2 mega pixels but I've never once felt I needed more. It can sometimes be a bit slow at processing pics and eats batteries like no tomorrow but these are small niggles far outweighed by the 10x zoom.

However we are also looking for something a lot smaller that the girlfriend can keep in her handbag as the the main downside of the S1 is that it's not that much smaller than a SLR so you have to make a conscious decision to take it with you on each trip.

We're looking for something she can keep with her all the time for those impromptu photo opportunities, the Canon IXUS 500 looks favourite at the moment unless anyone knows different?

ive had a Olympus Camedia c-50 5MP for 2 years now, never had a problem, takes good pictures.....

Olympus Cameras

Full metal body

5.0 million pixels

Bright 3x optical zoom lens f2.8-4.8

Several modes and 6 scene programmes

The five megapixel Olympus C-50ZOOM

Categorically closing the gap between design and performance, the C-50ZOOM is the camera for those that want it all. Housed inside a body with a stylish, eye-catching and extremely compact fully-metallic design are a wealth of high-quality technical features. From the versatile, bright f2.8 / f4.8 precision 3x zoom optical system to its impressive five megapixel resolution, this innovative model ensures photos taken will excel in every respect. Many automatic and manually adjustable settings guarantee C-50ZOOM photographers enjoy ease of use while being left with plenty of scope for creative possibilities. Images are saved on xD-Picture Card, the new digital storage standard.

With the metal-bodied C-50ZOOM, discerning photographers can step out in style and create pictures of the highest calibre. This model incorporates a 1/1.8 inch primary colour (RGB) filter CCD to produce razor-sharp five million pixel images. Precision optics ensure that light is clearly and accurately transmitted through the lens system to the CCD. The 3x optical zoom (equivalent to 38 - 114 mm on a conventional 35 mm camera) can be combined with a 4x digital zoom (up to 5x in VGA mode) to give users even greater flexibility for a wide range of situations. The optical system is comprised of seven glass lenses arranged in six groups and features two aspherical elements for edge-to-edge clarity.

Numerous options for exposure control are on hand, including manual and spot metering for advanced users, while the automatic digital ESP (Electro Selective Pattern) option gives complete comfort and ease. The shutter and aperture priority modes allow users to set one adjustment while the camera takes care of the other. Furthermore, auto bracketing is available for automatically taking a series of shots with differing exposure values. A TTL contrast detection autofocus ensures photos are crisp and clear.

Six scene program shooting modes provide photographers with pre-sets for many common motifs such as night scenes, sports and landscapes. In addition, the user's favourite photographic settings may also be saved in the special `my mode' folder. This retains the selected settings for later use. Thanks to the unique Olympus TruePic image optimisation technology, captured images will impress with their brilliant colours and gradation. Even for those pictures not recorded at the maximum resolution, the TruePic algorithm utilises data from all the CCD's five million pixels to produce optimal images, thereby saving memory without any great sacrifice to quality.

The C-50ZOOM allows macro photography and panorama shooting and, moreover, as well as still photos, can record moving pictures in QuickTime Motion JPEG format. An advanced white balance system ensures images stand out with their true colours. Besides full-auto TTL measurement, photographers may choose pre-sets to suit the particular ambient conditions, no matter if capturing images on sunny or cloudy days, or shooting indoors under fluorescent or incandescent artificial light.

Thanks to the built-in flash system with a variety of flash modes, including slow synchronisation, perfect illumination is also assured in challenging lighting situations.

After shooting, users have the option to change the photos captured in colour, to black & white or sepia, giving compositions a special effect. Images may also be rotated - which is especially useful when wanting to view photos originally taken in portrait format, on a TV.

To achieve the camera's ultra-compact dimensions, Olympus has incorporated two high-performance yet space-saving innovations. First, the C-50ZOOM is equipped with a slot for the xD-Picture Card - the world's smallest digital camera memory card*. This new removable storage standard currently features capacities up to 128 MB. Moreover, a Compact Flash adapter, soon to be available from Olympus, ensures compatibility of the xD-Picture Card with CF slot-equipped devices, e.g. digital cameras, thus allowing a variety of users to utilise the new storage medium. The C-50ZOOM ships with a 32 MB xD-Picture Card.

The second coup is incorporation of an all-new ultra-small rechargeable lithium-ion Battery. Not only does it make the camera considerably smaller, the very-high Battery capacity lets scores of shots be taken without needing recharging. This camera model is supplied with a quick-charger featuring a recharging time of about two hours.

With the USB AutoConnect interface, images are quickly and easily downloaded to a computer. The CAMEDIA Master software, that comes with the camera, lets users chose from numerous options for further processing of their digital photos, including editing and archiving. The C-50ZOOM supports the new EXIF 2.2 standard as well as PIM II**, enabling compatible printers to apply the saved data in order to produce optimised image printouts.

This remarkably small camera measures just 99.5 (W) x 58.5 (H) x 41.5 (D) mm and weighs merely 194 g (without Battery or xD-Picture Card). Style and quality-conscious photographers will look forward to the launch of the C-50ZOOM in November 2002.

Okay, after much internet and magazine studying, and having slept on the matter, I've decided to go for a Casio EX P600, its not got the AA batteries, but hay, got to move with the times, do we have any gold discounts on electrical goods ,or anyone suggest a good site to buy from,

Bob :)

if your interested.....

http://exilim.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...5f-617811dd86b8

I'm looking to get a camera too, I was thinking about a Pentax Optio S5n, i'm not looking to be the next david bailey or anything so I think that will do for my needs and also it's very small which is what i'm after.

I'm looking to get a camera too, I was thinking about a Pentax Optio S5n, i'm not looking to be the next david bailey or anything so I think that will do for my needs and also it's very small which is what i'm after.

Well i feel i've done my homework well, if your after a good camera, its any of the ones listed ......

pentax Optio S50 ....£169,

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC80....£169,

Pentax Optio S5i....£205.

Canon powershot A95....£198

Casio EX P600....£ 199.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links