Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

What "killed" The Cat

We all know about "cat"alyst converters in the uk, but has anyone here had one fail, and do you know "why", seemingly here in the UK the "ceramic" cat is now replaced with a "metal".... There seems to be many reasons why the "cat" could fail, management this lambder that? but i think tha main reason is "thermal shock" what do you think.... :yawn:

In 1995 the cercat in my Opel Vectra 2000 16V failed. The ceramic began to come loose and started to rattle badly. Because of the rattle/motion it began to disintegrate and engine check light came on.

Think it was the consequence of overheating. At that time I had to drive home 2000km every two weeks on highest speeds. (often I did Munich-Flensburg in less than 6h)

It was replaced by a stainless steel cat.

Is that what you are talking about?

If i'm right about "thermal" shock then you need to follow this thread...!

Do i ? - why does lowering my car have any effect on what this thread will be about .......... ?

Well the "trigger" for this topic was your post yesterday about the car "catching" the speed bumps, my reply was "watch" out for that cat! "Why" in my trade we change many cats and fail cats on the MOT this leads me to my question!

1: the cat has to work at very high temperature

2: our climate does not support the cat

3: many cats that i change show no signs of truma, so why is the ceramic loose within the casing

4: why, here in the UK do we "now" use a metal catalyst converter

I think that here in the UK "thermal" shock or lets say a rapid contration of the outer casing is why so many cats fail, now you have lowerd the car your cat is a "target" for the puddle, and "thermal" shock.

In 1995 the cercat in my Opel Vectra 2000 16V failed. The ceramic began to come loose and started to rattle badly. Because of the rattle/motion it began to disintegrate and engine check light came on.

Think it was the consequence of overheating. At that time I had to drive home 2000km every two weeks on highest speeds. (often I did Munich-Flensburg in less than 6h)

It was replaced by a stainless steel cat.

Is that what you are talking about?

Did you find out why the "cat" went? or did you just replace it at a cost of £lots.?

if you found out why, what was it!!!!

It was just gone. Came loose and rattles itself into dust.

They said it was because overheating. The car was EURO2 and didn't have precats.

I never bumped the cat. But I drove it very very hard all the time. Waited until warmed up and floored it all the way home every two weeks. Full throttel for about 45000km.

Well the "trigger" for this topic was your post yesterday about the car "catching" the speed bumps, my reply was "watch" out for that cat!

But it was the front bumper that caught the speed hump........... not the rear !

Well the "trigger" for this topic was your post yesterday about the car "catching" the speed bumps, my reply was "watch" out for that cat!

But it was the front bumper that caught the speed hump........... not the rear !

Bumper today, "cat" tomorrow :huh: thing is Ahmet you are now a member of the "avoid the hump" club? and the puddle and the pot hole and the kerb and the, well you will find all in time :crying: but for now, keep that "cat" out of the water. lets talk "thermal" shock :shutit:

Don't cats have an extra heatshield, come guard bolted on underneath,to protect the cat from humps,and also to stop dry grass from catching fire when you park in a field for an event,as the cat can get very hot.

My Scorpio had this and one of the bolts holding it on sheared, put a big Jubilee clip on it ,fixed

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Don't cats have an extra heatshield, come guard bolted on underneath,to protect the cat from humps,and also to stop dry grass from catching fire when you park in a field for an event,as the cat can get very hot.

My Scorpio had this and one of the bolts holding it on sheared, put a big Jubilee clip on it ,fixed

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Yes, the "heat shield" on the under body is standerd spec "globle" but the shield on the cat "protecting" against grass fire is US code, here the after market cats come without the "fire shield" point is since a "cat" is for life why is it here in the UK do so many fail, as you read i have my own idea, and its all "thermal"

They reckon that if you have been driving for a while and the cat is 'up to temp' and then you drive through a flood the rapid cooling can kill it off.

yep thats what happened to my Lex cat after only a few thousand miles :D, the pre cats failing a few weeks before may have also helped

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links