Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help With A Pc Problem

Bob King

Guys a bit of advice please,i can turn my PC on, that's the end of my knowledge, i have a thing called Sixtypopsix come up on the screen, i've tried to delete it but it wont let me, is it bad news, any help how to remove it would be great,

Bob.

use adaware linky

Errrrr Fargo, do i just download it ,and does all the rest ??

Scarface is your man! here on LOC he will direct you and the LOC team will help, i speak from experiance.....

My next thought is ,will Adaware work with my Norton internet security 2004 ??

Hi mate,

I assume you are using Windows XP?

If so....

1. Update to Service Pack 2 (get this from Windows Update)

2. Install Microsoft AntiSpyware (great bit of software)

3. Use Mozilla Firefox as your web browser

Also....

give SpyBot search and destry a go. (Just go to www.download.com and type in spybot under search)

Hope that helps :D

We'' i'll be f****d, i've downloaded Ad-aware , done my first scan and got rid of sixtypopsix and a few others, what's rattled me, is why Norton or AOL spy ware did not pick up on it ,anyway ,young Fargo i'll buy you a beer, next time we both make the Grasshopper meet.....thanks again.

Bob,

the number one top tip for avoiding stuff like this is to not use your PC as an administrative or power user.

Create a "Bob Admin" user - and use this user when you need to legitimately install new programs, updates etc.

Make you normal user a restricted "User" user.

This way, windows itself will actually prevent you from installing a lot of this crap, as you will not have permission to make potentially damaging changes to your computer.

Ad-Aware, Spybot and MS Anti Spyware mentioned in this thread are all good products, however prevention is better than cure ;)

Bob,

the number one top tip for avoiding stuff like this is to not use your PC as an administrative or power user.

Create a "Bob Admin" user - and use this user when you need to legitimately install new programs, updates etc.

This way, windows itself will actually prevent you from installing a lot of this crap, as you will not have permission to make potentially damaging changes to your computer.

Ad-Aware, Spybot and MS Anti Spyware mentioned in this thread are all good products, however prevention is better than cure ;)

Agree 100%!

Great Advice :D

Bob,

Matt i like the sound of this, but sorry to say i'm lost with all the technical stuff,if its going to make boring reading to other advance PC users, maybe you would PM me, how to go about doing this, in basic terms please :)

I would recommend go to:

www.download.com and download and run Spybot Search and Destroy, run it once a week or so.

Anti virus software, make sure one that updates for latest viruses. Check out AVG - it is FREE - yep free, and I have found it to be good. You need to let it run through a scan at least once a week (daily best but if it slows you PC down whilst running once a week should be ok).

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

If you have AOL, then select options to stop Ads and Spam.

I also have McAfee Stinger, this will get rid of some of the most common viruses, trojans etc. Again free:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Hope this is of use.

Cheers,

James

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links