Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Chip / Mods

Hi guys,

I've read thru a bunch of threads about chipping (to chip or not to chip/does it work or not) etc etc .... and the consensus seems to be ... "some kind" of chip is worth it after "some kind" of modication.

The thing that confuses me .. through reading the threads, is that I'm not sure what "kind" of chip is actually worth it? (i've read about the piggy back ECUs ... and the replacement power chips). I kinda know the general differences between the 2 types, but in general which ones are the safer & easier ones to put on? (actually, I should say which ones are available for the IS200!!!)

Regarding .."worth it if done with some mods" .... would the following be considered mods that are worth it goin with? or not extensive enuff?:

-hi flow muffler/exhaust box only

-K&N air filter

Can someone gimme a definitive answer? and also a brand of chip that you guys have used and think works? (how much performance increase did u get? ... i've heard crazy numbers like 22hp+ ..... which i seriously doubt, but no one can seem to debunk these statements)

Any info much appreciated!!!

Hi guys,

I've read thru a bunch of threads about chipping (to chip or not to chip/does it work or not) etc etc .... and the consensus seems to be ... "some kind" of chip is worth it after "some kind" of modication.

The thing that confuses me .. through reading the threads, is that I'm not sure what "kind" of chip is actually worth it? (i've read about the piggy back ECUs ... and the replacement power chips).  I kinda know the general differences between the 2 types, but in general which ones are the safer & easier ones to put on? (actually, I should say which ones are available for the IS200!!!)

Regarding .."worth it if done with some mods" .... would the following be considered mods that are worth it goin with? or not extensive enuff?:

-hi flow muffler/exhaust box only

-K&N air filter

Can someone gimme a definitive answer? and also a brand of chip that you guys have used and think works? (how much performance increase did u get? ... i've heard crazy numbers like 22hp+ ..... which i seriously doubt, but no one can seem to debunk these statements)

Any info much appreciated!!!

Come'on guys? lots of views ... no suggestions??

How about giving a fellow IS-er in need ....some advice eh? Over here in HK .... its really tough to get advice and info like this ... there aren't any forums over here!

Not having an IS or a chip i can't really give you the gospel reply on this but from what i can gather in the forums there are two types of piggyback ECU used, the silver and the black.

Now i am, sure someone who actually has one and who is not going off hearsay will give you a better answer but as far as i can tell the "chips" allow a tuner to interface with the engine and set up different variables in the engine computer (fuel, timing advance etc) by changing you fuel curve asd other things you should be able to up your engine output

The difference between the silver and the black is that one has a lower rpm limit than the other (for the supercharger boys ithink)

"Chipping" or re-mapping the ECU only really has an effect on forced induction motors, i.e. compressors & turbines. Many of the piggyback chips give claims of +20bhp etc, however these are very rarely substantiated with hard data to support the claims.

Since most of the IS's here are normally aspirated the members may not have sufficient knowledge or experience to give you any feedback.

Suggest you also try some of the Scooby/Skyline/Evo forums

Not having an IS or a chip i can't really give you the gospel reply on this but from what i can gather in the forums there are two types of piggyback ECU used, the silver and the black.

Now i am, sure someone who actually has one and who is not going off hearsay will give you a better answer but as far as i can tell the "chips" allow a tuner to interface with the engine and set up different variables in the engine computer (fuel, timing advance etc) by changing you fuel curve asd other things you should be able to up your engine output

The difference between the silver and the black is that one has a lower rpm limit than the other (for the supercharger boys ithink)

The silver and black piggyback chips are the TTE ECUs for use with the Supercharger and don't provide additional performance on their own.

The problem with some of the 3rd party chips is that they conflict with the stock ECU - it tries to correct the changes back to "normal".

Ah.. i see... so I guess the answer is ... without a SC, theres no point in getting my car chipped.

I know this question must have been beaten to death by now, but anyone done any dyno runs with just minor mods like hi flow muffler, k&n filter? any significant increase at all? i know the magic number seems to be 4-6hp increase & responsive throttle @3500+ rpm :hehe: at least thats what everyone seems to say ... (regardless of car make/brand) haha

Thanks guys for ur feedback!

Bernard

Hi,

just to ask, why were you considering making modifications to your ECU? If it's just for extra power, then I don't think it's the easiest path to go down if the rest of your car is stock.

The usual points for light mods to a NA car work nicely on the IS.

Aftermarket cat-back exhaust.

Aftermarket headers (if you can find them for the IS! :( or you can just de-cat).

High flow cat.

Air-intake modifications (either a foam drop-in coupled with modifications to the air-intake or an induction kit).

Better spark plugs (neglible gain.. but even 0.5hp for such an easy mod is good value! Esp since you're in asia like me and should be able to get them MUCH cheaper than all these brits here :P)

*these mods alone should net you at least a 10% increase in power, if not more*

After that if you're still unsatisfied, there's still more! -

TTE s/c

Increased final drive (I understand that 4.5/4.7/5.1 are all readily available)

Since you're swapping out the FD, might as well get a light flywheel (JUN makes them for the IS)

PS. IF you're getting the TTE s/c, I think it comes with the 'black' chip

Well, I think you get the point, and these are all "bolt-on" modifications that don't require any really really major changes to the car (or any real tuning for that matter).

We have successfully installed the Dastec and HKS ecu's in the is200. The more modifiecation that have been done to the car the better the tuig results will be. On a stanrd is200 you can expect around 6hp with better economy if it is mapped properly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links