Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

My Cambelt Has Been Sheered In Half!

Hi,

Just been told my cam belt has been sheered in half!!!, although it's being replaced, the mechanic has no idea what caused it.

My worry is that the same could happen again, any idea as to what could be causing the sheering eg pulleys tensioners, waterpump etc

Any wild guesses as what could be causing it?

Thanks in advance

The lileage is 90,000.

The belt has been changed but it's still at the garage as the mechanic doesn't know what caused it.

My worry is it may happen again and very quickly.

Any thoughts

Mine was the same, but only a quarter of it tho, had mine changed at 98K, and apperantly another member who had his changed think it was around 80someting and same problem on his belt, wonder what can cause this to happen??

When I got my Lexus I insisted that the timing belt be changed at the 60K service I got with the car. Both the seller and myself had no idea that the belt was supposed to be changed at 100K!!

Seems like a smart move now!! :D :D

90K and 98K mileage - seems like normal wear to me.   :unsure:

Or should the cam belt not wear like this?

Lexus state 100K for cam belt change.

As Lexus state 100k then it should really last 120k+

Certainly people in the US have got well over 120,000 miles on GS, LS and RX engines.

Looks like it is worth inspecting the cambelt on the IS200 at 60,000 miles and every 10,000 afterwards.

not sure what you mean by sheared in half do yo mean as in snapped or as in split into two thinner belts if it has split into two you would have to assume it had ridden to the edge of the pulley and sat there till it wore through

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links