Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Boot Install Started!

Well the weather managed to hold over the weekend, so managed to get one of my amps fitted along with the capacitor. both in the custom panel.

What do you guys think of it so far?

Im thinking about moulding the larger amp that runs the subs into the parcel shelf

and removing the 6x9's and moulding them into the boot door!

I don't want to loose the spare wheel, although i could buy some tyre weld, but is that stuff any good?

Jason :P

gallery_6300_24_50929.jpg

Right what you do first is remove the panel. now get the amp etc and cover them completly with several layers of masking tape, when this is done bolt them down in place where you want them. (The capacitor fitted nicely into a cardboard tube i found)

then put some vasaline/wax onto the masked amps etc. to help stop the resin sticking to it.

Then get some 'polar fleece' (easily aquired from fabric shop @ about £3 a metre) and staple this in place over the panel. stretching it to the shape you require.

Now you will have the basic shape and layout that you want. Now paint the whole thing with resin, use as much as you can, the polar fleece will soak it uo good (i used re-processed as its the cheapest stuff). when this is dry,The polar fleece will now be rock solid!, turn it over and cut the amp out then cut holes for the front of the amp to show through the panel.

Then spend ages sanding the whole thing down, and add some body filler to get it nice and smooth then cover the whole thing with boot carpet using evo-stick. or if you want to spray the panel spend about 3 weeks of constant, non stop sanding to get the panel smooth enough for paint!

When this is done wire it all in and replace the panel! ......now you can rest B)

Havn't done anymore since the last photos. last weekend the girlfriend was off work so insisted that i spend the time with her and not on the car!

I have however been ordering stuff like there is no tomorrow.....

have recently bought......

Parcel shelf

Internal boot trim

2x Chrome ports

spaeker wire

carpet

More resin etc....

and all the tools and equipment i need to do some more this weekend.

Im going to re-do the parcel shelf, remover the speaker grills and fibreglass the chrome ports into it rather than just remove the 6x9's and leave the standard shelf there. im also going to mould the 6x9's into the boot door.

I think the large amp is going to get moulded into the boot floor, no where else to put it. but i have a few tricks up my sleave for this one :shifty: lets just say watch this space :winky:

Jason :D

well i am putting a 7" screen where the ash tray is in the back, trying to decide if i should put a motorised screen in there or a permanently mounted screen.

Btw jason, that deal we were aranging is sorted. Pm me for details on costs. very good deal!!!

That's a really nice custom boot install you got going on there mate ........... all you need now is to mould a tv screen in the back somewhere too !  :whistling:

Thanks mate! :P Yes thinking about the tv screen idea! but not too sure, if i do go the tv screen way then i need something to connect to them! was thinking about putting one in the boot door but don't know if i can justify putting one there as it wont get used much! hmmm..... choices, choices! :duh:

Those ports won't do a thing to improve the sound, the CSA is so small any sound will hardly make any difference on your ears. Plus those ports will probably make it more suspecting for vandals that you have a install...

Unless you have a ported enclosure venting directly into the cabin your waisting your time with those ports.

Amp is basically a heater, don't mount it under the rear shelf, thats what 'chavs' do :P

Depending on its thermal dynamics, you want nice open area.

I'm putting 3 very large amps in my boot floor, two of which have Valves in them, which can reach tempritures as high as 200deg. C!!

the amp is no longer going into the shelf, im now going to put the amp into the boot floor.

Some people have mentioned that removing the 6x9's in the rear shelf helps the sound get through from the boot? is this right? im getting well confused now :duh:

i was going to remove the 6x9's and rather than just leave the standard shelf there, put two ports in its place!?!?!?!

Thanks for your help my Singh!

Jason :duh:

Yeh some people do. But i would be more inclined to just use carpet or acoustic fabric over the old holes.

I'm doing direct loading into the cabin, whereby pressure from the sub goes into the car rather than in the boot.. all in a purpose build perspex vented enclosure..

so im doing the right thing by removing the 6x9's? :duh:

The 6x9's i was planning on putting in the shelf don't actually fit in anyway as they are too fat :P

Your install sound like its going to be great, im just trying to keep as much of the boot space as i can really! this is my first proper install i have worked on so im sort of learning as i go!

The idea with the ports was just aesthetic really, but surely i need to leave some sort of hole to help sound come through from the boot or it will sound muffled wont it?

Jason :P

6x9s... nothing wrong with them, but if you never have passangers in the back its no point upgrading them unless you have big rear bias faded..

The holes won't make a huge difference, maybe detectable to a SPL mic but nothing worth bragging about... So long as you know this i think the ports will just be 'aesthetic' feature rather than functional :)

Thanks Mr Singh :) As long as the ports won't make it sound crap i think i will put them in! Just for the aesthetics of it! I have already bought the 6x9's and they have been sitting at home for about 5 months so far so don't really have much choice.

This is how i had it planned out, feel free to tell me if its ok or what i should change!

Remove 6x9's in shelf.

2x1000 watt peak alpine r type subs in boot, with 1800 watt peak legacy amp.

25cm (400 watt peak) pioneer speakers in rear doors, amplified by sony 400 watt amp.

6x9's Alpine type r (300 watt i think) in boot door, amplified by another sony 400 watt amp.

2x sets of 16 cm components in front doors (2 component speakers in each door)

i don't really want to change this set up much as it has all already been purchased but let me know what you think!

As i have said this is my first real install, as you can probably tell :duh: :lol:

Jason

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links