Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Fog Lights As Break Lights

Hello all!

Looking to find out on here who has wired their Fog lights on the boot lid to work as break lights when break is pressed! I remember seeing a post on here a few weeks ago about this but I cant remember who did it! Can anyone help?

Thanks Lads and ladettes

GALLA_4

2 ways you can do it

one is to just wire the fogs upto the brake lights, but you'll not have any rear fogs and fail mot, so change them back b4 that.

or you can buy some dual filament bulbs and holders and have both

with my rear boot spoiler i had 6 brake lights hehe

Quite a few peeps have done this mod, as ive got an auto i didnt want to use it as a brake light cause your foots on the brake alot more so ive got it as tail/fog. Run a search for brake/tail/fog mod and you will get tons of results

My auto electrician said he had a special relay that could run two circuits! so I can have the fogs come on when the break is pressed and when I press the button in the cockpit it will make the second circuit leaving them on the whole time! Does this sound right?

i wanna have mine so that the fog lamp (but with lowere rated bulb) comes on at the same time as the rear lamp when te lights go on - like the R34 skyline.

How would one go about doing that?

i designed and fitted it to my car about 4 years ago and have not had any probs.

as for the legality well yes depending on what configuration u have it then it is or isnt legal rear fogs as fogs and tail lights is ok rear fogs as fogs and brakes not ok - according to highway code and some other highways site.

the plans are on the site, workshop i assume unless it has been moved or lost during a crash as has happened before - remember usual disclaimer applies!!!!!!

oh u need to use diodes as the fog circuit doesnt rely on the fog switch being a positive latch, it uses a trigger

Hi all, I've converted my rear fogs to brake lamps for quite some years without any hassle. First of all you need to order a new bulb holder and cover as you need it to be dual filament. If you can remember, when you want to change a bulb you twist it and it pops out of the cover, right? Well, sods law the shape of the receiver (fog lamp cover) is a different shape so its not just a case of buying just the dual filament holder on its own. I managed to find some schematics and order it from Toyota Hong Kong. I was asking as a Altezza customer as its standard on that car. Once I got the complete set, luckily I had a friend who works for lexus (engineer) and for a small charge he managed to rewire my fog lamps to match my brake lamps. He also rewired the existing fog lamps cable down the back of the car behind the bumper so that I can attach an external fog lamp (like the import cars) when needed e.g for MOT testing. As you have gathered, I have taken my external fogs off the car during the year and only put it back on for MOT or if its really foggy so not to ruin the car's look. The fitting takes 5 mins and is really easy. The external fog lamp fits nicely under the car using a bolt and a hole under the bumper. You can see this 'flap with a hole' if you look underneath.

I must say that this conversion makes the car look so much more aggressive and is a head turner!

I've never had problems with lights on the dash saying there is a problem with the bulbs. When i dont use the external fogs, I simply tape up the wire in masking tape and tuck it behind the bumper!

Oh btw, you also have to purchase a pair of dual filament bulbs (same as the brake bulbs). Sorry to waffle but hope that helps. I will try and get some pics posted up.

i wanna have mine so that the fog lamp (but with lowere rated bulb) comes on at the same time as the rear lamp when te lights go on - like the R34 skyline.

How would one go about doing that?

Thats what ive done, and its still used as fog light, all legal - and passes MOT. Chris its pretty straight forward, order the dual filament bulb holder harness from Chris.S (around £25 + a few quid for new bulbs) and its easy to do, ill even give ya a hand at a meet if you want :winky:

Oh and i didnt buy new bulb holders, just modded the original ones slightly :

:offtopic: is your car back on the road Chris :question:

Well, sods law the shape of the receiver (fog lamp cover) is a different shape so its not just a case of buying just the dual filament holder on its own. I managed to find some schematics and order it from Toyota Hong Kong.

no need for that hassle - u just get the standard dual holders and clip a bit of the plastic off - takes 5 mins.

So Guys

What is the best way to do this?

(a) Just have the fogs light up when break is pressed?

(B) Replace the holders and put double filament bulbs in there, so the fogs work as stop/tail?

Where can I buy direct plug and play double filament bulb holders ASAP?

If I go with option (B) above, could I still use the button in the cockpit to overide stop/tail function and act as fogs?

Thanks guys!

I got mine from Mr Shipley, the dual filament bulbs and holders.

thats the best option but when you press the fog button it will light up the brighter part of the filament but not stop them also working as brake lights too, you would have to add in a relay for that trick

I got mine from Mr Shipley, the dual filament bulbs and holders.

thats the best option but when you press the fog button it will light up the brighter part of the filament but not stop them also working as brake lights too, you would have to add in a relay for that trick

So I can have stop/tail and fog functionality with existing cockpit button using relay?

Here you go pal, the post in the workshop of Rob's where it's all documented:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...?showtopic=1358

Some right dodgy fella's did mine so that they don't work as brake lights but instead as tails - it looks ace :winky:

Chris and Mick fitted this for me when they did the supercharger, absolutely perfect job they did too :D

Not a single problem but I have occasionally had people flashing me when they think the fogs are on so a press of the fog button soon shuts them up when the back end lights up like a xmas tree :P

i've done the fog mod for a few altezza club members and so decided to do a step by step dummies guide to the install

http://www.accsoft.com.au/~quantum/is300/fogmod.htm

i thought it prudent to have a switch so the mod can be disabled when necessary

also, credit is due to the original writer of the instructions, and again do it at your own risk!

i've done the fog mod for a few altezza club members and so decided to do a step by step dummies guide to the install

also, credit is due to the original writer of the instructions, and again do it at your own risk!

:tsktsk: would have been nice to ask me before using my diagrams etc :angry:

Hmm, I had no idea that it was you who wrote the original document. And it was not my intention to offend anyone. So I have removed your diagram and added my own, and provided a link to the original document. Will this be ok?

Only wanted to help people perform the mod with the benefit of switch and detailed pictures....

:tsktsk: would have been nice to ask me before using my diagrams etc :angry:

But the Real challenge would be to have quad tail lights, quad brake lights and fogs.....

This is what my waffling (above) will achieve. I have it on mine. The reall deal. Quad taillight, with quad brake lights and fogs lights without having one or the other or using relays.

:whistling:

i dont mind u using it, was just the fact it would have been nice to have been asked - i am making a point more than anything else - if u were unaware who wrote it then ok no probs. thanks for the link but it is not necessary.

Good guide BTW very informative. i had something similar untill the board crashed and all was lost :crybaby:

oh yes, and i can be a total arse! as those who know me will agree :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links