Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Most Confortable Springs For The Is200?

Anees

Guys,

My car has TTE AntiRoll Bars and I have been considering changing the Eibach (30mm Drop) springs on my car to something else.

The car looks really nice lowered and now (thanks to Gordon for sorting my alloys) most speed bumps are okay.

The ride on good roads and motorways is really nice and smooth - but on poor roads it is quite hard - not really comfotable and what you expect from a Luxury-style car.

The trouble is that I seem to be spending 75% of my time driving around roads that look like landfill sites and with massive speed bumps. My job involves visiting alot of schools and most are based in some crappy little side street road full of speed bumps, cracks and potholes. I am worried about the damage thse do to my suspension setup.

I was thinking of changing my springs to something more comfortable over these roads while also offering me a nice handling increase over the standard springs, if possible.

At the front I have a very slight rub on full-lock which is due to the adjustment of the cars front camber. It can be changed but would then screw up other parts of the geometry. By raising the car slightly I would get rid of this too - but its not really a problem.

Basically I am looking for the best comprimise between looks, comfort and handling.

I have considered maybe putting my standard SE springs back on - but I've not driven on those with 18"s and don't really know how comfortable they are (I only had them on the car for about a week :hehe: )

Obviously if I did this I'd loose my drop and the car wouldn't corner as well. I wouldn't mind raising the car up abit - but not too much.

I am also really interested in the JAPSI braces Aido is selling - but worried about catching them on speed bumps with its existing drop - so if I did raise the car could I balance out the handling loss with the JAPSAI's?

Basically the options seem to be (all with TTE AntiRoll bars):

1. Get a better job :lol: (Trying too!)

2. Put back SE springs

3. Put on Sport springs (10mm drop)

4. Put on later Sport springs (15mm drop)

5. Any other suggestions for springs?

6. Any one of the above combined with JAPSAI's?

I will also very shortly be geting the full TRD bodykit fitted (thanks to Gord, Steve, John :driving: ) so may as well get the car raised slightly just to be on the safe side.

My current favourite idea seems to be raising the car up 20mm on the older style sport springs AND getting Aido's JAPSAI braces.

I recently test drove the new BMW 3 series and I was impressed by the quality of the ride it offered.

Maybe if a sport driver wants some Eibach Springs (done only 3000 miles!) we could do a swap deal?

This is not definate - its just an idea at this stage. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Anees

Anees, the only other option I can think of is that you look into the Tein CS (Comfort Spec) coilovers - I know they're a lot more expensive but from what I've read they are as soft as the standard ride while still offering adjustment when you actually want it..

I think I have some springs knocking about as well mate, I'll have a look but they could be what you're after...

Like you I'm tempted to go to a softer option, and th standard shocks and Eibach's could keep me going a while so I can try some things out :)

If you do decide to sell your eibach springs, give me a shout and i might have them off you.

I see your in Northamption mate?

I was there the other week for the BMW day. You would enjoy them because they have decent roads there!! I was well impressed! :D :D Very clean smooth roads! Infact the roads were some of the smoothest I've been on - not like the crap around Oldham, Bury, Rochdale and some parts of Manchester. :tsktsk:

I don't know how the guys with 19"s and drops do it!! They must have very good dentists!! :tomato::whistling:

When i went in Fargos IS300 recently, it didn't even feel lowered! handled like a lowered car but the comfort was very good. We both have same coilovers (Apexi N1s) mines little more sensitive to rough rounds... but i have something like a 80mm drop! lol

I think so long as you don't go too low with lowering springs you will be fine. Once you go lower than this your gonna get bumpy ride as the shock isn't shortend and progressive like the lowering springs. 30mm will be fine, after this get shocks.

In France we have the chance to have quite good quality roads, only problem is the 'car destroyers' of your sig :) but in 1st gear, it goes well :driving:

but i have something like a 80mm drop! lol

You crazy guy!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I don't really want the expense of coilovers - I'm not after a big drop. I realise that I have to compromise and I would rather have the comfort - it is a practical day to day family car.

If I didn't have to visit these crap roads and go on pot-hole full country lanes to Saddleworth and Shaw I'd definetly be keeping the Eibachs. :driving:

80mm is fine... i live in Milton Keynes so the roads are alot more for giving like most around the UK :)

You'll be fine on 30mm springs mate, go for it!

was mine ok for you ? when i took you home the other week  :ph34r: mine is standard set-up (sport 15mm)

To be honest Gordon we didn't really go on any really bad roads mate. I shudder to think what these are doing to my geometry. :nuke: :o

I could take you - but you'd be screwing you car up for no reason.

From what I can remember it felt very good. Will the older sports springs be slightly softer?

They do seem to be the best bet I think.

Thanks

was mine ok for you ? when i took you home the other week  :ph34r: mine is standard set-up (sport 15mm)

To be honest Gordon we didn't really go on any really bad roads mate. I shudder to think what these are doing to my geometry. :nuke: :o

I could take you - but you'd be screwing you car up for no reason.

From what I can remember it felt very good. Will the older sports springs be slightly softer?

They do seem to be the best bet I think.

Thanks

was the ride ok with your old se springs on ?

Can't remember - only had them on for a week before getting the Ebachs and 18"s! I don't think its a problem with the shocks or anything I had these checked at a local garage.

Think I'm going to go with the older Sports Springs (10mm). These combined with the JAPSAI's should make the ride more comfortable on poor surfaces, less hassle over BIG bumps and shouldn't hurt the handling too much (if at all).

Cheaper insurance too! :winky:

Will also sort out a very small rub on full lock at the front (this started when the geometry was changed) and it will be no worries for me when the TRD front lip is fitted.

BTW

Spotted this on the Manchester Evening News Website:

Woodstock Street, which stands at the edge of the Glodwick area of Oldham, was branded England's worst road in a national survey in April.

I go past there :blink: :shutit:

Aido you have PM :)

Can't remember - only had them on for a week before getting the Ebachs and 18"s! I don't think its a problem with the shocks or anything I had these checked at a local garage.

Think I'm going to go with the older Sports Springs (10mm). These combined with the JAPSAI's should make the ride more comfortable on poor surfaces, less hassle over BIG bumps and shouldn't hurt the handling too much (if at all).

Cheaper insurance too!  :winky:

Will also sort out a very small rub on full lock at the front (this started when the geometry was changed) and it will be no worries for me when the TRD front lip is fitted.

BTW

Spotted this on the Manchester Evening News Website:

Woodstock Street, which stands at the edge of the Glodwick area of Oldham, was branded England's worst road in a national survey in April.

I go past there :blink: :shutit:

Aido you have PM :)

Anees, steve has a set of sports springs, give me a call to sort something out for you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links