Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

So Am's Not The Only One With A Clutch...56k Dead

Sirnixalot

It has finally arrived and i got it in!

You will need 17, 14, 12 and a 24mm wrenches and 17, 14 and 12 sockets. Putting the car on a lift is advised but i did it with my car about 2ft off the ground in about 6 hours. Someone with small hands is probably a good friend to find for this job as well.

There are 10 bell housing bolts. 4 of them are 17mm and the other 6 are 14mm.

The exhaust bolts are all 14mm

The exhaust hanger bracket bolts are 12mm

The driveshaft/rear diff bolts are 14mm (use red locktite!)

The pressure plate bolts are 12mm (use red locktite!)

The flywheel bolts are 17mm (use red locktite!)

The transmission crossmember bolts are 14mm

If you are changing the clutch line you will need a 10mm spanner, a quart or brake fluid (DOT3 or 4) and 2 helpers. 1 to pump the clutch pedal, 1 to fill the clutch master cylinder and the 3rd to open and close the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder.

Driving impressions so far

Pedal effort has increased quite alot. The clutch pedal doesnt feel as dull now with the braided line. I havent stalled the car yet with the cerametallic disk LOL but i can see me getting fed up with it in traffic.

Ill bring back some more driving impressions after i put some miles on it. Anyways...on to the pix!

Here is everything, flywheel, pressure plate, disk and new release bearing

mini-DSC01712.jpg

Thre the dvd on there for an idea on the size of the disk

mini-DSC01713.jpg

semi assembled

mini-DSC01716.jpg

trd clutch line

mini-DSC01717.jpg

the trd flywheel, pressure plate and cerametallic disk weigh in at 32lbs. I will weigh the stock setup tommorow

mini-DSC01722.jpg

the mid pipe had to come out in order to get to the drive shafts carrier bearing support bolts. You will find it easier to remove the drive shaft as one large piece instead of undoing it from the middle.

mini-DSC01725.jpg

the mid pipes exhaust hanger has to be completely removed to access the drive shaftes carrier bearing support bolts

mini-DSC01726.jpg

Old *******

mini-DSC01730.jpg

stock dual mass flywheel....the face of the flywheel can turn about 3inches independently of the rest of the flywheel.

mini-DSC01731.jpg

New flywheel being bolted on

mini-DSC01732.jpg

I didnt get anymore pix as the camera died and i didnt have any batteries near me.

BAASTARD! you gots yours on first lol.

Glad i ain't doing mine... Mine jacked up as far as the jack allows still is a struggle for me to get under!

Mines going in on Wednesday, i shall point out these bits to them :)

the clutch pedal does require some more effort.

You can still take off smoothly but you have to pay attention and make an effort especially when you are coming off the clutch pedal.

My jackstands are island edition LOL. I had 2 proper jack stands at the front of the car along with the cinder blocks...

Good luck with yours Am...it wont take them any longer than 2-3hours with a lift and a transmission jack. So if they try to weasle more labour out of you point that out. The things that ook me the longest was filling back up the tranny with oil...i had a REALLY small hose and no funnel so it took me about 45mins. Also i did my clutch line, they will have to unbolt the master cylinder from the transmission but they wont have to disconnect the lines and refil/bleed the system, that too my about 30/45mins (finding a 3rd helper took most of that time.)

The stock flywheel weighs 28lbs on its own and the whole assembly weighs in at 40lbs

mini-DSC01734.jpg

Stock flywheel is 12.72kg

TRD flywheel is 6.95kg

Stock pressure plate and disk weighs 5.45kg

TRD pressure plate and cerametallic disk weighs 7.95kg

A 3.27kg savings for me. I'm pretty sure the organic disks are lighter by at least a few grams.

sirnixalot, you are a pro, mechanic and photographer!!!

the best instructional piece i have ever seen and done underneath a car, wow  :mat: cheers,gds

thanks for the kind words...i should have taken mroe pix but it slipped my mind. If you have any q's on the job hit me up on msn messenger

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links