Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Windscreen Replacement

McLean

Need to get my windscreen replaced tomorrow - insurance job through Autoglass.

How can I tell the new screen is "supplied by the same manufacturer" - as stated by the Autoglass rep I spoke to?

Is this on the SC430 or IS200 ?

Could ask autoglass to use genuine parts. Or get it done at the dealer.

Typically a dealer just gets the parts then subs the fitting to autoglass or similar.

If it's an insurance job then ultimately it's your choice who does it.

I usually get a bodyshop to take care of this job using genuine parts.

Inevitably there's paint damage from screen removal - possibly hidden from view.

So the bodyshop can make sure that's taken care of before a new screen is fitted.

Hopefully then rust won't creep out from unseen damage under the new screen seal.

Another thing: in the northern European countries the windshield should have the electric heating for the wiper area at the bottom ;)

It may just be that non-genuine parts don't have this.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

Thanks for suggestions guys. It's actually the SC that needs attention.

Good point about the paint damage - I'm taking it into the local Autoglass so I'll be able to keep an eye open for that myself.

As far as the choice between dealer or Autoglass repair, the insurance folk will only contribute £125 towards a dealer repair, but will carry the balance of the Autoglass repair less a £50 excess. Can only guess what the dealer repair would cost (£500+?) so bit of a no brainer.

. . . . and I'll watch out for the heater element and blue top visor band!

Another thing:  in the northern European countries the windshield should have the electric heating for the wiper area at the bottom ;) 

It may just be that non-genuine parts don't have this.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

i had my one replaced by RAC, and they did ask me if it was heated or not as it was! thats what they put back,

so your best bet is just to pay the £50 excess and get autoglass to replace it. as the cost of replaceing one is. as it is heated i think RAC told me if i was to pay for it, it would cost £560 :sick:

Inevitably there's paint damage from screen removal -  damage under the new screen seal.

the only way you will get damage is if a noob fits it, when i had my one replaced i was there when he was fitting it, they are working on a Lexus. the guy who did the job was 1st class it took him about 1 hour to do it top job :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links