Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Intercooler Pipe Work

marcus

Hi guys,

I have an intercooler comeing over from the US. the inlet & outlet are 60mm i was going to keep all the same for the rest of the pipe work, :question:

What i would like to know is ;) 60mm not to big is it? or should i go down to 50-55, or should i just keep it at 60mm

any help would be nice from any one that knows

Thanks marcus

I just got down to the parking place and measured my intercooler piping.

The alu-pipes are 50mm and the silicone hoses 60mm.

I wouldn't go bigger, because we had to dent the upcoming piping to the inlet, because there was very small space between cooler and pulley.

I wouldn't choose a too big pipe.

If you're trying to hit the 250-350HP area I'd say 50mm is enough and you are able to fit it better than a thick pipe.

I also thought "EH?? Such thin pipes???" :o

But then I was really happy they haven't been thicker. :whistling:

Thanks guys for your feedback :whistling: Matt the Turbo i have is T4 /KKK V wheel (Quick spool), at the end of the day i would like to see 400+hp but thats only when i have had the Engine worked on :whistling: to start of with i would like to get 250 to 280hp when i fit the Turbo :winky: and run it for a bit at 280hp then at the end of next year get the Engine worked on to take it up to about 380+hp :whistling:

RR thanks for that mate that helps alot :) what size intercooler do you have mate with that setup you have, if you could let me know that would be of some help to me, all so Daza what size cooler do you have if you could PM me guys with the size's of your intercoolers.

Thanks guys B)

I just got down to the parking place and measured my intercooler piping.

The alu-pipes are 50mm and the silicone hoses 60mm.

I wouldn't go bigger, because we had to dent the upcoming piping to the inlet, because there was very small space between cooler and pulley.

I wouldn't choose a too big pipe.

If you're trying to hit the 250-350HP area I'd say 50mm is enough and you are able to fit it better than a thick pipe.

I also thought "EH?? Such thin pipes???"  :o

But then I was really happy they haven't been thicker.  :whistling:

Hmmm..... I think I got a wrong intercooler, because it's far bigger than on the picture of the turbo kit.

(sent you the pic via PM).

But it was hard to fit, the space was very narrow on the top, because in my opinion the IC was a bit too high.

We needed longer screws for that alu-bar in the front because the iC was a bit thick and high, so that the huge alu-bar in the front didn't fit there like before.

You're planning 380HP??

I hope you're only dreaming.....

OK the clutch shouldn't be a problem to change, but you'd have to exchange valve springs, pistons, rods, maybe camshaft...... :whistling:

I wouldn't know where I could get that..... :unsure: :duh:

Well rods and pistons I could get, but valve springs, camshaft and maybe other stuff..... the tuning market for the IS200 isn't the biggest as you can see.

At all the IS200 isn't the best platform for a real performance car.

Quite you can boost it up a bit, but the border is close.....I'd say to stop somewhere in the 300-340HP area.... it's far enough.

The IS200 is very light in the rear and doesn't have a traction like a Supra.

The Supra is long and heavy and is able to get the power down to the street.

I'm sure my IS200 doesn't have 240HP now (in cause of the fuel problem), and I just have to take care at accelerating on wet streets.

The HKS coilovers give much better traction than the stock suspension of course, but after raising boost or such..... :unsure::whistling:

Thanks guys for your feedback :whistling: Matt the Turbo i have is T4 /KKK V wheel (Quick spool), at the end of the day i would like to see 400+hp but thats only when i have had the Engine worked on :whistling: to start of with i would like to get 250 to 280hp when i fit the Turbo :winky: and run it for a bit at 280hp then at the end of next year get the Engine worked on to take it up to about 380+hp :whistling:

RR thanks for that mate that helps alot :) what size intercooler do you have mate with that setup you have, if you could let me know that would be of some help to me, all so Daza what size cooler do you have if you could PM me guys with the size's of your intercoolers.

Thanks guys B)

i will pm you over the weekend the size but the hks 1 on tdi is mine mate

Size of intercooling isn't what you should be thinking about it's the performance of it. You can easily get a smaller IC that will outperform a larger one. Trouble is it is difficult getting these stats.

Thats what i was thinking colin, this is why i asked if i should keep the pipe work all the same if i can, as the inlet & outlet are 60mm i dont what to drop it down to 50mm just yet as i would like to see how the performance is with this setup 1st, and if it is not do to good a job then maybe try droping it down to 50-55mm and see how it performs :whistling: like i said i have intercooler comeing from the US the size is 24"x 12"x 3" with 60mm inlet & outlet, and i will be makeing all the pipe work for it, this way with me makeing it i can play around with it a bit :winky:

thanks guys for your post's :)

24"x 12"x 3" ???

Good luck mate and please don't cut anything off only to fit the IC.... :unsure:

That's too big, at all you wouldn't need it in that size.

With this IC size you will have serious fitting problems.....

Try to get a smaller one.

24"x 12"x 3" ???

Good luck mate and please don't cut anything off only to fit the IC....  :unsure:

:whistling: from your pic,s RR yours looks that size, please can you let me know the size of your cooler mate, it will fit but its keeping it there ie! fixing points ;)

24"x 12"x 3" ???

Good luck mate and please don't cut anything off only to fit the IC....  :unsure:

:whistling: from your pic,s RR yours looks that size, please can you let me know the size of your cooler mate, it will fit but its keeping it there ie! fixing points ;)

I already sent you a PM.... mine is smaller thinner and not the height of 12"!! ;)

And as Mat(e) said.... you will have more lag..... forget it..... it's a 2.0L engine you can't boost it up so that you would need such a monster of intercooler.You don't have a Supra with a T78/T88 MonsterTurbo.

I just can feel some lag until the power gets at work.... maybe also my IC is a bit too big.

Get a smaller one... really! :winky:

way too big, the pressure drop across the intercooler will create huge lag

:whistling: this is why i keep asking for the size of your coolers, what size then matt :yawn: would do a good job as you think this one is way to big, any help would be good thanks

RR mate i have seen your pic,s but it dont tell me the size please mate could you get me the size's of your cooler Thanks :)

for me to work out optimum pipe sizing, intercooler sizing.......

SEVERAL main things are needed to be known.

what does the turbo make in terms of PSI (turbo caracturistics)

what is the HP (ESTIMATED)

Lenth of the tract from turbo to inlet manifold

from this you can see that, sizing now for 280hp, wont help at 400hp, so if you know you can reach 400hp, then you need to size for that, however you will suffer at the lower HP.

with things like this.....as with the Monster, you need to amke a decission at the start what you need and do all your calculations then.

otherwise all your costs will be duplicated..

another thing to consider is the inlets of the head, the flow caracturistics of the inlet manifold (understanding that is its a varible tract manifold) and the diameter of the inlet throttle.

and above all, CORRECT TURBO SIZING IS CRUCIAL!!!

Thanks for that matt :winky: you have me thinking now and i dont do to much of that :lol: thanks for all your help guys

for me to work out optimum pipe sizing, intercooler sizing.......

SEVERAL main things are needed to be known.

what does the turbo make in terms of PSI (turbo caracturistics)

what is the HP (ESTIMATED)

Lenth of the tract from turbo to inlet manifold

from this you can see that, sizing now for 280hp, wont help at 400hp, so if you know you can reach 400hp, then you need to size for that, however you will suffer  at the lower HP.

with things like this.....as with the Monster, you need to amke a decission at the start what you need and do all your calculations then.

otherwise all your costs will be duplicated..

another thing to consider is the inlets of the head, the flow caracturistics of the inlet manifold (understanding that is its a varible tract manifold) and the diameter of the inlet throttle.

and above all, CORRECT TURBO SIZING IS CRUCIAL!!!

Don't really know how to calculate such to take care of HP, Turbo, compressor wheel, piping length, piping diameter, IC size and so on....

I don't think that it would be a problem to get 400HP out of a 280HP setup.

?!? :blink::ph34r:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links