Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

An Official Member Now!

Purvesh

:D

Regards everyone! I've been browsing the forum for quite a while now, and finally bought my IS200 SE on saturday..

Its an 01/51 Auto, Dvd Sat Nav, Black, 1 Owner, 22500 miles.. It's virtually like new B)

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who posts on here, because without your help and guidance, I wouldn't have known what issues to look out for etc.. It gave me an upper hand over the salesmen, he was surprised with the info I knew on them! :winky:

I dropped it straight to the my local T/Wells dealer to sort a few issues out under warranty before it runs out.

I'd appreciate it if I could have some feedback on the following issues I raised:

1). Rusty Calipers and Drums: I noticed some people have had these changed under warranty for modified versions, which don't rust. My dealer said that, they weren't aware of the new parts, and this would just be put down to wear and tear!?

2). Sat Nav: Theres no loss of colour or lines etc, but in the evening (when it switches to dark background): Theres seems to be a flow of lines rising up the screen, most noticable when viewing the menu and map. Is this normal or is this the flexible cable playing up? In the daytime, it seems to be ok.

3). Condensation from rear glass and windows: I've read on here, that it means that there is a good seal in the car, but the condensation I'm noticing is slightly excessive. To a point that the rear heater needs to be on very often and the rear windows steam up quite a bit. I have the airflow set to come from the outside and not to re-circulate, but no real difference there. The dealer has asked me to take it on a road test with a technician, but knowing my luck, it won't replicate then!

4). Sunroof: Is it normal, when opening it fully it stops a bit from the end, and only when you depress it again it fully retracts? The dealer says Yes, this is how it operates.

5). A slight rattle from drivers side pillar area: and ideas what it could be? It's the only rattle I have!!

Sorry for the length of post, any feedback would be greatfully appreciated. Hopefully see you at the next meet! Many Thanks,

Purvesh

welcome to LOC mate.

check that your climate conrols are not on to recirculate the air in the car as that can cause condensation.

i cant remember anyone having had a caliper or drum replaced due to rust, plenty of alloys have been replaced because of corrosion though.

the sunroof is normal, i only found this out on sunday as i'd never noticed.

other than these minor probs i hope you're enjoying your new car mate.

Hope you enjoying your new car mate, and welcome to LOC.

51 plate, with DVD sat nav , on the SE ... hmmmm sounds nice :-)

Are you going to keep it standard ? or are you going to modify it ? - does it currently have the styling kit or are you considering that soon ?

Regards.

Wosket, Scarface.. thanks for the prompt replies.

Whenever I switch the car on its automatically on recirculate, so I press it to allow free flow from outside. Is there no way to make sure its always on free flow rather than recirculate when you switch it on?

I had the alloys and nuts changed under warranty just before I picked it up B)

It doesn't have a kit on it at the moment, but will be definately modifying it - where do I start!! It's fully loaded with parking sensors, but no body mods as of yet. Any front sports grills or TRD ones, let me know! Must say your cars look awesome..

I'm really enjoying the car, the smile hasn't wiped off yet! It's an upgrade from my Avensis 99' - which I'm still keeping hold of.

I'll be glad when I get the car back from the dealers, I bought it sat and dropped it straight to the dealer, as the warranty expired monday.

Welcome to LOC. Callipers I have had mine repleces for sticking, but they should replace them for corroding. Things on the centre of the rear disc again repleced under warranty when less than 6 moths old for rusting. Sunroof ... yes it does that. Satnav no idea. Condensation mine has been OK when on air from outside but do need to put heated rear screen on a bit if not using the aircon, also have to direct air up to front screen occasionally to make sure I can still see. If aircon is on though no problems. Suggest you check all the carpets and boot and spare wheel are all dry and drive with air con on for a few days to see if it improves.

Thanks for the replys guys..

I'll try out those things you suggested, hopefully it'll improve.

I'm not sure my air flow will stay to free flow, I'll have a look when I get it back.

From seeing how much you all enjoy yours, I'll definately be getting the most out of mine!!

Rusty calipers and drums - I know some people have had these replaced because of this but only in the 3 year manufacture warranty - don't think the used car warranty would cover this - much better to just paint them with hammerrite smooth.

Sat Nav - is this when it's cold? I've noticed this before - sort of interference? Don't think it's the cable.

condensation - Check/replace your air con filter behind the glovebox and clean the glass with proper glass cleaner to get rid of any film that causes the windows to mist.

drivers pillar - has a phone kit been installed and that panel removed? The little plastic clips should really be replaced when trim panels are removed to ensure a nice tight fit but nobody does that. Your dealer should be able to sort that out for you.

the sunroof is normal, i only found this out on sunday as i'd never noticed.

Learn something new everyday don't ya mate :winky:

... and then you die and forget it all :)

I was told about the 'moon' roof during the handover when I got mine, aparently it is the correct sized opening to prevent bufferting by the wind. Seems to work...

Does anyone see any difference in the ECT PWR 'sports' mode switch being on/off, I can notice a difference in the 'snow' mode, but the other mode just seems the same to me unless you need traction control off as well to feel the difference..... all this auto stuff is new to me LOL :D

Hi mate, nice purchase :)

I had a similar problem with the calipers & drums, first time they painted them both silver, then they rusted again after 6 months so they painted the drums black for me like the new cars (looks better too).

they're starting to go again but I'm going to do the calipers myself, like Col has already said, the Hammerite is the best option for you.

Have a similar issue with my passenger side A pillar, it's been butchered - never knew until Rob & Steve pointed it out at JAE.

Thanks to all of you.. I just spoke to the dealer and raised what you said, he said he'll have a word with parts and get back to me on the calipers, dics/drums. Like you said though, if I have no luck, I'll be painting them and hopefully get some of those Lexus Caliper stickers that most of you have. Red Calipers and Black logo would do the job I think!

I think your right Colin, it did happen when I was showing my cousin the car saturday evening, when it was starting from cold. If it is then how shall I look to resolve this??

Just before I had it picked up, it had its Full 20k Service, which I assume they changed the filter at - I'll investigate. As for cleaning the windows, I will definately be giving them a good once over, to remove any dirt/film like you said. I normally just use Mr Muscle window cleaner (green bottle) is this the best for trying to minimise condensation?

No phone kit has been installed mate, but I'll raise that with the dealer and ask them to replace the clips and see the results.

Other than these few points, I can see where your love and enthusiasm comes for them. I'm definately happy with my choice, thanks for warm welcomes and info!

Hi mate how u been? U didnt say u were getting an IS! :blink: Nice going!

Yeah the condensation problem is there on mine, but I never turn off the A/C any more and it doesn't cause any probs

Never had that problem with my screen even when cold (although I'm having mine replaced for some lines down the middle) so try get it replaced

I had my calipers replaced ages ago and then lacquered the new ones so they haven't started to corrode again yet

Anyway, enjoy the new car B)

Hey mate, yeah not bad.. like I said, finally part of the official group :winky: like we said, we goto make sure we go down for the next meet!!

Like you said, I'm pretty certain leaving the AC on all the time, will cure the problem, but I'm a bit apprehensive as to how much this will effort performance and feel economy. With my avensis AC on - u can really notice the drain on the car. I think I did read on here somewhere that it only makes about a 1 to 2 mpg difference - hmm.

The dealer did ring today, and said they were going to contact Lexus head office and get the calipers, discs and sat nav changed - so they'l get back to me within a week or so.

Hows the course going? Hope everything else is going well - I'll bring the car up to show ya once it's all done B)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links