Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Clutch Squeek

TheDon

Hi, well i bought one of the helix clutch assemblys off prolex, and so far its been good. at teh start it was a bit on off, but now its a it more bedded in its smoother.

altho i have to reverse outa my drive in the morings and its kinda noisy to start with until its warmer.

but today my clutch pedal has developed a very audible squeek for the entire length of its travel. why would this be? is the actuator having trouble and i can hear it thru the transmission tunnel? im no clutch expert so i need some advise,

cheers guys

You sure it's the pedal Chris...

You know the clutch bearing, did you lube the piece it runs on ... not at the tip but the shaft bit ?

Also ensure the bolts are torqued up on the slave assembly which controls the release bearing on the gearbox .. ( The arm )

It's unusual to get a swueek from the pedal, if you think it's the source of your problem, spray some of that squeek stopper thing on the mech of the pedal.

im pretty sure the bearing was greased. but its been getting a bit better today. lots of strange creaks and groans since the damp weather.

will try and get under the car while a friend pumps the clutch to see

ok now the squeek has turned into a full on annoying squeal.

It only stops when the clutch is engaged for more than 1" on the pedal. This leads me to think the thrust bearing is a faulty one or something! not happy as its all gotta be pulled apart to find out what is wrong. now it was a brand new thrust bearing from the helix set. so strange!

If the noise goes when you apply pressure to the pedal, it's more likely to be the release bearing.

If you have a ceramatalic or "paddle" type centre plate, you can get all sorts of noises, vibrations and general nastiness as the clutch bites, but this type of clutch is intended for competion use (or where an organic clutch is not man enough)where bad manners can be tolerated.

ok, is the release bearing the one that contacts with the plates? the thrust bearing?

i dont mind the noise personaly but i just wanna make sure that it aint gonna shatter! lol

altho it is making my car sound like an old astra! has anyone else with the helix clutch got this prob?

ok, is the release bearing the one that contacts with the plates? the thrust bearing?

i dont mind the noise personaly but i just wanna make sure that it aint gonna shatter! lol

altho it is making my car sound like an old astra! has anyone else with the helix clutch got this prob?

The release bearing goes between the cover and release arm.

Assuming it is the bearing and not a centre plate to flywheel noise (which you would get with a ceramatic plate), it shouldn't be noisey, so it either it wasn't replaced or it is faulty.

Why don't you ask the people that fitted it for you? A half decent garage should be able advise you what the problem is.

Mines OK fitted by Tdi in April done 6k miles to date :geek:

will do, it was a brand new bearing that went on, watched it all go in.

I will call the guy up. just wanted a bit of advise thats all. strange whining noises are always worrying tho.

I got the Helix paddle clutch and lightened flywheel in mine a couple of weeks ago.

Did the job myself, at home in the garage, on axle stands. I'm so glad it doesn't squeek, cause it aint coming out again.

At first it was a bit "juddery" but it seems to be getting alot better now it's bedding in.

i think as with all upgraded items

that when you gain one thing

on the other hand you will loose another

the upgraded clutches will give a far better performance

but the downside of it will be a bit of noise

as with all items ie:coilovers / 18"wheels etc etc

you cant have your cake and eat it :whistling:

yeah, had to use the OE clip as the one in the kit didnt work with it!

might just get a new clutch, but will destroy this one up the strip at the pod b4 i do tho

OK,

update on the clutch mystery.

took my car fitted with a helix clutch to one of my prolex fitting centres.

They took my helix clutch out as I wanted tio know why mine was OK yet steve & thedone had problems.

To cut a long story short helix sent me the wrong clutch plate (paddle not organic)the MD rang me last night to apologise and will be sending the correct uprated organic clutch to me on Monday along with a ££ credit which I will pass directly on to my customers.

I'll be posting the new plates out ASAP.

i think as with all upgraded items

that when you gain one thing

on the other hand you will loose another

the upgraded clutches will give a far better performance

but the downside of it will be a bit of noise

as with all items ie:coilovers / 18"wheels etc etc

you cant have your cake and eat it :whistling:

Uprated organic clutch centre plates make no more noise than standard. The only difference is that the fraction material has what is called a "higher coefficient of friction", which to you and me means that it grips better.

An uprated clutch cover has stronger springs which allows it to clamp harder.

The cerametalic centre plates have a friction material made from a metal compound which has a high coefficient of friction than the organic material which makes it better for very high power engines and for competition, but the down side is that it is noisy as it engages (metal to metal contact) and rips the flywheel to shreds in a very short period of time.

The clutch we fitted in Daves car is organic as we don't recommend cerametalic for street use.

Hope this covers everything :)

oh dear, me hopes that me fly wheel aint shredded, have done about a thousand miles so far on it!!!!!

Hury up mr helix man and sort dave out with the propper ones!!!

i did think that the plates looked a lot like the EBC Gold racing motorbike pads!

I like CREDIT Mr Prolex :winky:

But because I always rush into things, I have my new clutch available for collection any time now, as I am only waiting on another part to arrive before collection.

I will however return the old one to ya when I do the swapsy, and guess we'll sort out something thereafter.

Again, thanks for the feedback and actully fixing problems rather then avoiding them like some companies may do ... :unsure:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links