Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Does Anyone Know The Procedure Involved ....

jasear

Hi mate

I done this recently with a Clio dCi for the g/f.

If its a Cat C which is classed as written off then the V5 will have been returned to the DVLA and you need to get a new one.

In order to do this and get the car back on the road you need to repair it and then apply to the VI (Vehicle Inspectorate) for a VIC (Vehicle Identity Check).

This invloves the VI inspecting the car after it has been repaired to ensure the VIN details hasn't been tampered with (e.g. in case someone decides to steal an identical car and tries to transfer the identity of it to the written off car, etc).

It is NOT a check to ensure the car has been properly repaired and the car will still have to go through a seperate normal MOT if its over 3 years old.

If it passes the VIC you can then apply to the DVLA for a new V5.

I'm assuming the whole procedure is the same in the mainland as it is in Northen Ireland.

More info can be found here:

http://www.car-crime.com/dvla_info.htm

Hope that helps,

Gavin

Well my van has been written of twice once cat b and five weeks ago cat c ,never had to put it through a sperate mot or test and never had to return or apply for a new log book,bought hundreds of write offs over the years and the only test i know of is one to have a note put on the register to say it has been repaired to a good standard.there are a few garages that do this but in my opinion you would struggle to put even non write offs through as the test is very thorough.in answer to your last question yes it is harder to sell a written of car as most members of the public will run a mile a soon as they hpi the car ,it is also ileagle not to admit to the car having had damage if asked by the buyer ,but you do not have to declare this if not asked ,but to be honest i always do as it is not worth the grief when they come back to you when they do find out .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links