Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Disappointed.

marks69

After a recent theft attempt on my Es300 and reading many posts on here, i got to thinking that maybe it might be time to move on to another brand, even though i really like my Lexus.

Whilst looking around at various cars in all the usual places like AutoTarder, CarWow etc etc, i decided to see what sort of part exchange price i could get and to my great disappointment i was getting valuations of anywhere between £23500-£24900 which means i would lose roughly £10,000 for just 3 years of ownership on a car that was only 3 months old when i got it and has barely 12000 miles on the clock :shock:

25 minutes ago, marks69 said:

After a recent theft attempt on my Es300 and reading many posts on here, i got to thinking that maybe it might be time to move on to another brand, even though i really like my Lexus.

Whilst looking around at various cars in all the usual places like AutoTarder, CarWow etc etc, i decided to see what sort of part exchange price i could get and to my great disappointment i was getting valuations of anywhere between £23500-£24900 which means i would lose roughly £10,000 for just 3 years of ownership on a car that was only 3 months old when i got it and has barely 12000 miles on the clock :shock:

Thats an unfortunate reality of owning luxury cars. They depreciate heavily. Also if thats the value you got online expect dealers / online companies like webuy etc. to knock it down further come time to sell. They will pick stupid reasons like ooh its had a resprayed bumper, you have a minor scratch here etc. If you arent in a hurry then i recommend selling it privately. But check autotrader for average prices for your trim level and see what price its going for. Honestly on a new car with 3 years of ownership losing 10k doesnt dound too bad. On average  all cars do depreciate  ~30% by year 3. You will definitely get more than if you part exchange it or sell to a car buying company. Also never bother adding anything to a car assuming it will increase its value e.g sportier alloys. If it didn't come from factory nobody cares.

12 minutes ago, Notamech said:

Thats an unfortunate reality of owning luxury cars. They depreciate heavily. Also if thats the value you got online expect dealers / online companies like webuy etc. to knock it down further come time to sell. They will pick stupid reasons like ooh its had a resprayed bumper, you have a minor scratch here etc. If you arent in a hurry then i recommend selling it privately. You will definitely get more than if you part exchange it or sell to a car buying company. Also never bother adding anything to a car assuming it will increase its value e.g sportier alloys. If it didn't come from factory nobody cares.

Yeah i understand what you're saying. My previous part exchange experience was on an Audi A5 which had prior to the Lexus, which i  lost just under £3000 for 3 years of ownership, so i thought i might get roughly the same ball park........not over triple the loss.

2 minutes ago, marks69 said:

Yeah i understand what you're saying. My previous part exchange experience was on an Audi A5 which had prior to the Lexus, which i  lost just under £3000 for 3 years of ownership, so i thought i might get roughly the same ball park........not over triple the loss.

Yeah i take it that wasnt a new car? New cars depreciate more. As cars get older the relative depreciation reduces e.g a car would lose less value from year 7 -10 vs from new to year 3

2 hours ago, Notamech said:

Yeah i take it that wasnt a new car? New cars depreciate more. As cars get older the relative depreciation reduces e.g a car would lose less value from year 7 -10 vs from new to year 3

I think the Audi was approx 9 months old when i got it, can't quite remember.

Not sure why you would change after a theft attempt. The scumbags would have probably still targeted you if you had any other desirable car on your drive. How about a much cheaper option like a visual deterrent such as a steering wheel lock, sometimes that may be enough to get them to move on to the next target. If you are looking to change anyway I have just PX an ES which was 21 months old with 14k on the clock and got £26000 from a Lexus dealer so the figures you quote sound about right I would say. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links