Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Clutch has started to slip... Which Flywheel should i get?

So unfortunately my clutch is starting to slip. I had a feeling it was slipping so this morning i took the car out, pulled the revs up to 3k and let out the clutch in 6th gear and sure as anything the revs held at 3k while the car accelerated forward slowly.  

https://www.fensport.co.uk/products/clutch-kit-lexus-is250-gse20 I've found this clutch kit which is reasonably priced but while i'm under the car i might aswell jump in the deep end and change the flywheel also.  

https://lexibreak.com/products/is250-single-mass-lightweight-flywheel This flywheel is is pretty cheap weighing in at only 10kg Does anyone have experience with this company?  

https://www.performance-gears.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67 This flywheel is slightly cheaper and weighs 11.5kg.  

https://www.autoperformancepartsdirect.com/spec-06-08-lexus-is250-2-5l-aluminum-flywheel-specsl25a This flywheel is bloody expensive...  

I don't suppose anyone has any experience with any of these or could recommend the parts they used themselves. I'm going to assume the clutch has never been replaced in my car at 135k miles and the previous owner looked like the type to drive hard and have some fun so it's most likely a good idea to swap out the flywheel at the same time.

I've had the PGears flywheel installed for about 30,000km. Overall I'm very happy with how it feels. There's a slight amount of rattle if you really lug the engine (<1000rpm in 2nd, <1300rpm in 3rd, <1500rpm in 4th and so on...). However, it's pretty smooth for a solid flywheel. Rev hang is slightly reduced and you can shift a bit faster thanks to the reduced weight.

If you go for a solid flywheel, make sure you pair it with a sprung clutch disc. I also wouldn't recommend getting anything lighter than the PGears one for a street driven car.

I used these parts, compiled from multiple ClubLexus posts:

• PGEAR FW1224005 - Flywheel
  • Aisin CT-129 - Pressure Plate (OE part but without the Lexus tax)
  • Aisin BT-127 - Clutch Release Bearing (same as above)
  • 31250-60501 - DISC ASSY, CLUTCH
  • 17451-31012 - Gasket, Exhaust Pipe, Center
  • 90119-08079 x 6 - Bolt (For Transmission Input Damper Cover & Flywheel)
  • 90105-10549 x 8 - Bolt, Flywheel Setting
  • 96160-00900 - Ring, E - Can't remember if I ended up needing this or if I reused the old one

I also removed the clutch accumulator at the same time, to get rid of the weird clutch feel these cars have from the factory. I used these parts, taken from the Toyota Mark X GRMN catalog:

• 31482-22200 - TUBE, CLUTCH RELEASE CYLINDER TO ACCUMULATOR
  • 31485-22070 - BRACKET, FLEXIBLE HOSE, NO.2(FOR CLUTCH)
  • 31432-22010 - HOSE, CLUTCH, NO.1
  • 91651-60816 - BOLT
  • 90468-08040 - CLAMP

I'd also recommend replacing the shifter bushings while you're there, as they're likely to be worn at that mileage. They're really cheap.

• 33546-53020 x 2 - Bush (For Shift Lever Retainer)
  • 33546-53040 x 2 - Bush (For Shift Lever Retainer)
  • 90386-09025 x 4 - Bush (For Selecting Bellcrank No.1)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At 135k you probably don't have much choice but to replace flywheel, DMF can't be machined and I doubt it is still good at 135k. Can't really recommend one, but sure thing - don't get Lexus DMF again, also they are very expensive. Can easily do clutch +flywheel for the costs of just Lexus DMF.

Don't forget to change all the rest of the small bits, release bearings etc. once already there (excellent list above from Victor).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, numeprenume said:

I've had the PGears flywheel installed for about 30,000km. Overall I'm very happy with how it feels. There's a slight amount of rattle if you really lug the engine (<1000rpm in 2nd, <1300rpm in 3rd, <1500rpm in 4th and so on...). However, it's pretty smooth for a solid flywheel. Rev hang is slightly reduced and you can shift a bit faster thanks to the reduced weight.

If you go for a solid flywheel, make sure you pair it with a sprung clutch disc. I also wouldn't recommend getting anything lighter than the PGears one for a street driven car.

I used these parts, compiled from multiple ClubLexus posts:

• PGEAR FW1224005 - Flywheel
  • Aisin CT-129 - Pressure Plate (OE part but without the Lexus tax)
  • Aisin BT-127 - Clutch Release Bearing (same as above)
  • 31250-60501 - DISC ASSY, CLUTCH
  • 17451-31012 - Gasket, Exhaust Pipe, Center
  • 90119-08079 x 6 - Bolt (For Transmission Input Damper Cover & Flywheel)
  • 90105-10549 x 8 - Bolt, Flywheel Setting
  • 96160-00900 - Ring, E - Can't remember if I ended up needing this or if I reused the old one

I also removed the clutch accumulator at the same time, to get rid of the weird clutch feel these cars have from the factory. I used these parts, taken from the Toyota Mark X GRMN catalog:

• 31482-22200 - TUBE, CLUTCH RELEASE CYLINDER TO ACCUMULATOR
  • 31485-22070 - BRACKET, FLEXIBLE HOSE, NO.2(FOR CLUTCH)
  • 31432-22010 - HOSE, CLUTCH, NO.1
  • 91651-60816 - BOLT
  • 90468-08040 - CLAMP

I'd also recommend replacing the shifter bushings while you're there, as they're likely to be worn at that mileage. They're really cheap.

• 33546-53020 x 2 - Bush (For Shift Lever Retainer)
  • 33546-53040 x 2 - Bush (For Shift Lever Retainer)
  • 90386-09025 x 4 - Bush (For Selecting Bellcrank No.1)

That's extremely helpful thank you.  

can i just ask would the clutch i linked be ok or not? https://www.fensport.co.uk/products/clutch-kit-lexus-is250-gse20

Looks similar to the one you mention but comes as a kit.  

I'll start pricing up these parts and hopefully not be on the phone to the bank asking for a second mortgage.

50 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

At 135k you probably don't have much choice but to replace flywheel, DMF can't be machined and I doubt it is still good at 135k. Can't really recommend one, but sure thing - don't get Lexus DMF again, also they are very expensive. Can easily do clutch +flywheel for the costs of just Lexus DMF.

I wouldn't count on it.. depends on use. My clutch was done at 140k and the DMF was fine to re-use.. no heat spots or anything.
There are no OE replacements for DMF unfortunately, so SMF is the "cost effective" way, but it's crap. It makes a big difference.. Even I wouldn't go for SMF in this car. 

@MrTrendizzle I used Exedy Clutch kit and kept OEM DMF, so check with the garage about the condition of the DMF or see for yourself if you know what you're doing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links