Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How often do you replace your brake fluid?

I have a Mark 4 GS250 that is a bit of a driveway queen (less than 500 miles a yr). I got a notice from the onboard display to replace the Brake Fluid (last done maybe 2 yrs ago)

Do I need a dealer to do this or can I use an independent shop? (dealer not super close)

Thanks

Brake fluid is hygroscopic so needs changing on a time basis, not mileage. Generally done every two years. Any competent mechanic can do it, unless the car is a hybrid when I would only trust a Lexus dealer do it. Probably needs TechStream to fully flush the system

There's a video on YouTube - Car Care Nut - about changing brake fluid. Main points are:

1) It doesn't need doing as often as people think. Do it when needed - see 2). I do it every 3-4 years.

2) Get a tester - you dip it in the master cylinder and lights show if there's too much water in the fluid. Not 100% accurate but a good guide.

3) You don't need Techstream - according to the workshop manual you do, but apparently dealers don't use it for fluid changes. Even if they did, not all the fluid would be flushed from the ABS unit.

4) Use a vacuum extractor to suck the fluid out of each caliper bleed screw in turn, adding fresh fluid to the master cylinder as required. (They are quite cheap on Ebay)

5) Don't use old fluid from your garage.

6) Won't apply to GS250 but for hybrids - DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVER'S DOOR WITH A BLEED SCREW OPEN.

So for a GS250 - you could use any trusted garage. For a hybrid, use a dealer/independent who knows what they're doing. I changed my brake fluid just recently following Car Care Nut's instructions to the letter - no problem.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links