Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Do Lexus cover what? The warranty doesn't cover accident damage

f) Damage or defects as a result of defects resulting from an external cause and/or natural phenomenon 
(e.g. water or dust ingress, stone chipping, flooding, icing, storm, natural disasters, accident, fire, 
explosions, war, civil unrest, sovereign action, willful or malicious action, unauthorized use, salt, glass 
erosion and scratches, soiling);

• Like 1

"Write-off"

I guess the question is - if one buys car that is category S or N, would it be covered under warranty as long as it is still under 10 years/100k miles? Right?

My understanding is that insurance category is insurance own internal thing, they have no bearing on car warranty.

However... here is full list of exclusion (you should also read list of what is covered, as a lot of things are just not covered regardless)

Exclusions (not covered by Lexus Relax)
Types of damage or defects not covered by Lexus Relax includes, but are not limited to:
a) Any parts not mentioned explicitly in these Terms;
b) Damage or defects as a result of any wear and tear, excessive free play, noise and/or vibration;
c) Damage or defects as a result of failure to maintain or repair the vehicle in accordance with the
manufacturer’s recommendations; This is a requirement that is valid as of the date of first vehicle
registration.
d) Damage or defects as a result of defects that have not been reported immediately to an Authorised
Lexus Repairer or whereby the Authorised Lexus Repairer has not been given the opportunity to repair;
e) Damage or defects as a result of repairs not performed by an Authorised Lexus Repairer;
f) Damage or defects as a result of defects that result from using the Vehicle outside the
recommendations of the manufacturer (e.g. misuse, races, extreme off-road, tuning, excessive charge
(overloading));
g) Damage or defects as a result of defects resulting from an external cause and/or natural phenomenon
(e.g. water or dust ingress, stone chipping, flooding, icing, storm, natural disasters, accident, fire,
explosions, war, civil unrest, sovereign action, wilful or malicious action, unauthorized use, salt, glass
erosion and scratches, soiling);
h) Damage or defects as a result of defects not contributable to the manufacturer’s responsibility;
i) Damage or defects as a result of consequential damage caused by non-Lexus-genuine accessories or
special equipment;
j) Damage or defects as a result of defects caused by intentional or grossly negligent behaviour (including
but not limited to unsuitable lubricants & fuel);
k) Damage or defects caused by modifications of the original vehicle design or the installation of certain
accessories, the vehicle no longer complies with the minimum standards set down by the manufacturer;
l) Damage or defects as a result of parts that have been installed to the vehicle that are not of matching
quality to the original manufacturer’s parts;
m) Damage or defects as a result of improper mounted wheels, improper repair or inappropriate
replacement of individual components;
n) Damage or defects caused by a faulty fitting; or
o) Damage or defects caused by use of an item which Damage or defects caused by use of an item which recognizably requires repair, unless the damage can be proven to be unconnected to the item requiring repair.

What you will see above, it is a lot of things about "unauthorised/improper repair" and "parts not matching quality/not genuine". What this all means is that Lexus most likely going to find excuse not to warranty the cars if they want to. So even thought they do not outright exclude salvage cars from their warranty, most likely there will be some repairs done on the crashed car that will be classed as "unauthorised, improper, not using genuine parts, non genuine... etc. etc." So it is kind of gamble. They may or may not warranty it based on how big is the bill and how likely the failure may be result of previous damage.

Let's take for example the warranty claim I had on my Lexus - "driver seat electric motors weak/slow". This resulted in almost complete replacement of every part on the seat, what was left was mostly foam and leather, they replaced all the motors and all the screws, and all the rails etc. Total costs on warranty - £4,200. If my car had salvage category on it and was previously involved in accident I am sure they would have rejected it and said "we think that failure was caused when the car was in accident, they should have replaced the seat when as it was damaged". You can see the points above, the language is quite broad and such fault could fall under multiple conditions e.g. part "g"... It is not wrong to say that fault of seat adjustment mechanism could have happened due to "external cause", "accident" is even specifically mentioned. It could also be "f" - "extreme overloading", that is likely to happen in crash etc. 

Point is - previously salvaged car fails multiple of conditions above, whenever Lexus will use the condition to wiggle themselves out of responsibility is really down to their discretion. The do not outright say they will not warranty it, but my gut feeling is - small issue which is unlikely to be related to previous damage, they may cover, but if something more significant happens and it turns out car needs new gearbox or Battery, or something that costs thousands, I am sure there is enough condition in the T&Cs that would allow them to reject the claim. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links