Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Car theft.

marks69

Recently had my ES300h stolen from outside my house, luckily the police were able to recover it quickly. The police are confident that it was stolen via a 'relay theft'.

My question is......do i now need to get my keys reprogrammed or do the electronics constantly change the codes? (if that makes sense)

Thanks in advance.

11 minutes ago, marks69 said:

My question is......do i now need to get my keys reprogrammed or do the electronics constantly change the codes? (if that makes sense)

All keys now use a rolling code that changes every time it's used. What you might want to do, to prevent this type of theft, is to place the key fobs in a Faraday box/pouch to block the RF. One can also disable the easy entry via the onboard menus or by pressing the unlock button twice while holding down the lock button. The fob should flash the red LED a couple ot times. Next time you use the fob you will have to press any button to 'wake' it up again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NemesisUK said:

All keys now use a rolling code that changes every time it's used. What you might want to do, to prevent this type of theft, is to place the key fobs in a faraday box/pouch to block the RF. One can also disable the easy entry via the onboard menus or by pressing the unlock button twice while holding down the lock button. The fob should flash the red led a couple ot times. Next time you use the fob you will have to press any button to 'wake' it up again.

Snap!

• Haha 1

Wow....thanks for the quick replies.

I am going to invest in one of these pouches that block the signals and am also going to invest in a steering lock too, i am looking at the 'stoplock pro elite' (if anyone has experience of this)...........i can't go through this headache and stress again :scared:

1 hour ago, marks69 said:

The police are confident that it was stolen via a 'relay theft'.

It may have been a Can Bus theft, but yes you do need to either shield your keys or deactivate them.

2 hours ago, marks69 said:

Recently had my ES300h stolen from outside my house, luckily the police were able to recover it quickly. The police are confident that it was stolen via a 'relay theft'.

Were your front bumper or headlights damaged in any way? Thieves don’t need to use relay theft to steal many Lexus cars from 2016 to 2023 (your ES is vulnerable): https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-uk-statement-on-vehicle-theft/?

Your car is also as a result eligible for a tracker device from Lexus - it’s not great but may give slightly more peace of mind. 

6 hours ago, Lexusjim said:

I have these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09BMJL1DR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't put house keys etc. In them, as they will ultimately tear the lining allowing the signal to leak

Was there damage to the car at the passenger side front bumper.?

No there was no damage to any of the body work, lights, bumpers etc, all the damage was done inside, centre console all butchered as well as other bits of trim......oh and both front/rear dashcams ripped out. The only reason that the police found it so quick was because of the lexus link app telling the address where it had been taken to.

2 minutes ago, Dippo said:

I have the Stoplock Pro Elite. It seems to work - the car hasn't been stolen since I've had it!

That's exactly the one i purchased today.  I hope it's enough of a deterrent that even if a thief got the car started by one means or another, they would have a tough job steering it unless they want to spend ages grinding,sawing or banging.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links