Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus Insurance RX450h+ (Gen 5) want an immobilizer

I've been insured with Lexus Insurance as their quotes weren't too far from everyone else and they use OEM parts and Lexus garages for repairs.

When I bought my RX450h+ I was told via their chat system as I swapped insurance from my gen 4 RX I wouldn't need an immobilizer (as I expeced since the CANBUS theft issue is solved by encryption). I got an email shortly after the policy going live saying that I would need to fit an immobilizer. After a few back and forth phone calls the end result is that they are insisting....

As a result I've cancelled my policy with them and gone over to Aviva who are happy to insure the RX450h+ without me needing an immobilizer, I'm reluctant on a brand new car as I'm a little unhappy with folks messing with the wiring and creating a Battery drain

I'm wondering if anyone else with a RX450h+ has insurance with Lexus Insurance and been asked to fit an immobilizer? My suspicion is that as the policy was "copied" from the gen 4 documents the "needs an immobilizer" flag got copied over rather than being reset and I'd love to know.

(My next task is probably getting the NCD documentation which is probably going to be painful.... sigh...)

Hi, is Lexus insurance requiring you to get a physical immobiliser like a steering wheel lock? Only when I look at the brochure (extract below) it shows all RXs come with a Thatcham approved Category 1 alarm and immobiliser system. 

IMG_0501.png

I'm also insured with Aviva and have been for a few years now. Always competitive. 

Can't comment on Lexus Insurance other than they refused to give me cover on my RX450h+! Have max no claims, drive up to 12000 miles per annum, Social Domestic and pleasure, two named drivers.

Thatcham approved alarm and immobiliser should be sufficient for them to continue your cover.

It seems like Lexus insurance don't want my business too. Insisting on adding a cat 2 Thatcham immobilizer seems a bit off, time for a letter to Lexus HQ I feel it's not "providing the best possible customer ownership experience" as advertised on the Lexus website.

I'm surprised they didn't want to insure you Ken, unless the kingdom is now a hot bed of car thefts, and yes I agree on the OEM fitted security, so far the only security issue with the new toyota / lexus system I've seen requires access to the security module after digging through the dash and reprogramming a new key.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links