Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Buy ls 400 year 1994 whit 3 problems

Hello, my name is Fran and I live in a small town in the north of Spain called Gijon. This weekend I went to see a Mercedes S500 from 1999. The same owner had a bunch of cars in a barn. He had died and his son was selling them. The Mercedes was not in the optimal condition that I would like, and it was also very expensive. However, almost before we left, we saw a Lexus parked, an LS 400. There are not many cars of this model in Spain and I don't know much about this brand.

First problem, gearbox, it has a four speed gearbox with Overdrive, one of his sons used the car for a while while his was being repaired, he was fascinated by the driving comfort, he assures me that it is almost as comfortable or as much as a Mercedes, the problem arose when one day he went to get the car, I put the car in forward gear and the car would not move, I went up in revs and it would not go but nevertheless, I put the car in reverse gear and it did move backwards when we started it we checked it, I put the car in reverse gear and it would slide and when I put it in forward gear it tried to start with a small jerk and it did not do anything, it went up in revs. I wanted to ask you if you can find out what problem this gearbox could have

Third problem, when I went to visit the car, I didn't know it had air suspension. When I started it, next to the gear stick, I saw a button with three positions. I put it in first, second and third and I didn't see the suspension move up or down at any time. What I did see was that in the drawer where the instruction manuals are, just below where the CD changer is, there was the fuse cover. My question is, could it be that they removed the fuse for the suspension pump due to some problem it had and that's why the suspension doesn't go up or down? How can I find out where the extension pump is located? Because the car is lower in the back than what I consider the normal height. You can see it in the photos. Thanks

Fourth problem: the instrument panel is really nice, with a very white light, but when accelerating the car the rev counter needle did not move. It is dead. How can this problem be solved? Where can it be sent for repair. Do you know of any place?

Fifth problem: the original Lexus stereo didn't work. When I pressed the round switch, part of the screen would light up, but there were some very strange noises coming out of the speakers. Where can I send this stereo to be repaired?

Thanks for everything. I'll leave you with some photos that I was able to take this Saturday. I'll have to give the seller an answer. The truth is that it's a very unusual car in my country. I had read when I was younger that this car had better quality than Mercedes and BMW. I'd like to rescue this gem to take some rides on the weekends with my wife and enjoy its comfort and the V8 engine, the air suspension and the gearbox. It would be a pleasure for me if you could help me. Next Saturday I'll upload more photos if I buy it. Thanks to everyone.

[url=https://postimg.cc/bGTYPgc7][img]https://i.postimg.cc/ZRkWrsf5/IMG-0531.jpg[/img][/url]

IMG_0537.jpeg

IMG_0536.jpeg

IMG_0535.jpeg

IMG_0534.jpeg

IMG_0533.jpeg

IMG_0532.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

Ola Fran and welcome to the LOC.

The car is a 1995-97 model ( series III) not a 1994.

Looks like a major project, are you planning on doing all the necessary repairs yourself?

Bear in mind that spare parts for this age of LS400 are getting less by the day and expensive if you can find them.

What’s the mileage KMs and how long has it been stood?

Regarding the transmission are the brakes free? 
If it has failed cheapest option is a secondhand replacement.

It does appear to have air suspension,albeit unusual, replacement struts, if still available are around €1200.00 each although conversion kits to springs may still be around.

Sticking speedometer and tachometer needles is a common issue due to excess oil on the stop, a wack on the dash above the cluster with a fist normally releases the needle.

You will be very lucky to find anyone repairing the stereo units nowadays and even luckier to find a good working replacement. It’s not just the head unit there is also an amplifier under the seat. Fitting an aftermarket stereo may be the best course to take.

A lot of work and cost just to sort out the problems you know about and a lot more for those you don’t yet like brakes, catalytic converter flanges and suspension components.

I would be looking at a few hundred Euros for the car and a €10,000 repair budget.

At least that is half of the cost of restoring the S500 😀

• Like 1

Fran hi.  
Steve is a great font of knowledge for you 👍

You are aware Fran that Lexus is a subsidiary of Toyota ?  
And I note Gijon seems to have a Toyota Main Dealer maybe  which might have a local professional perspective for you on this sad car ? 

They may even have done servicing on it  and know something if it’s history and someone there remember, as it’s such a rare car 🤔

Good luck

Malc 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links