Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Notchy steering

Hi,

Has anybody had there steering rack replaced due to notchy steering ?

I have a minor issue where the steering feels like its got stuck when driven at motorway speeds in the straight ahead position for a while, it usually shows up after about an hour. It feels like you have to apply more force to the wheel when changing lanes and sometimes after long sweeping bends you have to apply more force and then it over corrects, almost like being stuck in a rut. The steering is fine at all other times.

I've googled the issue and there appears to be a bit of info out there regarding other Lexus models with this issue and Toyota models in general, but I can't find anything regarding RC's having it as an issue - mine is a 2015 RCF. 

I must admit I'm tempted to leave it alone as it doesn't bother me that much either, but my only concern is whether it's likely to get worse.

Might feeling the need to apply more steering force when changing direction at higher speeds not be a natural driver reaction to the momentary transfer of weights that accompanies the AVS’ functional reduction of body roll, or, more simply, an equally natural desire to compensate for the substantially stiffer suspension in the SPORT or SPORT+ modes?

6 hours ago, RCF5v8 said:

Has anybody had there steering rack replaced due to notchy steering ?

The early IS series III models had this issue and there was a TSB issued - I had my rack replaced as I had the same symptoms as you describe, although it would happen much sooner than an hour, and it got to the point where it was borderline dangerous due to the force needed to unstick it which sent you veering into the next lane.

This was associated with a bad batch of racks from the initial production run - your one possibly sounds like it has developed the fault through wear rather than always being there.

Hopefully you have Lexus Relax warranty so you can get it replaced before it is 10 years old.

Here is the IS TSB - although this isn't in any way applicable to your vehicle.

image.thumb.png.f2d02407522980369a48fe4e87850228.png

Thanks for the info, I did see it was quite prevalent on the IS but I haven't been able to find much associated with the RC, I can't seem to find any TSB related to the issue on the RC either.

Yes I've got the relax warranty, the car has only done 33K miles so not high mileage and full Lexus history. I think I'll get it in to Lexus and let them have a look as it's only just noticeable at the moment but concerning none-the-less.

34 minutes ago, RCF5v8 said:

I can't seem to find any TSB related to the issue on the RC either.

I don't think you will as it isn't a wide spread issue.

The RC F has the same rack as the GS F, not the standard RC/GS one. I should probably move this thread into the F forum.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links