Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Putting life back into a 'modded' IS250

12 minutes ago, H3XME said:

Lasts 100,000miles.. if you cut corners then you’ll end up with the same car you picked up

If there was 0 chance of anything relating to the cooling system going wrong then I get it, but when there’s a radiator that cracks (saw a lot of people online with the radiators cracked, that’s how I got the idea), hoses that can crack and seals that go bad especially on a car that’s nearly 20 years old and you can loose the entire 9.1L of that good stuff, then that’s a bit much for a consumable. 

I guess, for like, everything in this world, we just have to shut up and suck it up… 

Well it is not so much that... Water pump last ~60k miles, so that coolant last 100k is kind of irrelevant. 

Problem here is that red and pink coolant should not mix. You can mix both of them with water, but not red with the pink (long story, but one is organic acid another one is inorganic). So basically if car came with pink coolant, you want to replace it with pink coolant. Or you need to flush entire system carefully and repeatedly until you make sure there is no pink coolant left, and then fully fill it with red coolant.

It is like you don't mix dot 4 and dot 5 brake fluids (on is glycol another one is silicon). Same here with the coolants. Also red coolant is significantly shorter life - 2 years 30k miles vs. 5 years 150k miles (again kind of pointless considering water pump needs replacing every 60k and also Toyota recommends full coolant replacement at 100k and then 60k thereafter). 

There is a difference in their performance, lubricity, corrosion inhibition etc. Using red coolant will reduce your water pump life to 30k as well. Also kind of seemingly small point, but surprisingly important. Red coolant should be mixed with very pure water, if you mix it with tap water it will clog the engine (it sort of leaves white residue), pink coolant is better in that regard and protects the engine better. Meaning that to change pink coolant you can simply flush old coolant with tap water and you be alright, whatever trace amount of water is left the coolant will deal with it. Red coolant you need to flush either with distilled/desalinated water or just more red coolant itself. So it works out cheaper to use pink coolant, unless car already has red. 

Anyway... I do appreciate we are going way too deep into issues that is relatively minor in grand scheme of things at the moment... and for somebody that does not work on the cars or does not work on Japanese cars this sort of knowledge is not needed... I am just baffled that JDM garage seems to not know the difference, or not care.  

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Well it is not so much that... Water pump last ~60k miles, so that coolant last 100k is kind of irrelevant. 

Problem here is that red and pink coolant should not mix. You can mix both of them with water, but not red with the pink (long story, but one is organic acid another one is inorganic). So basically if car came with pink coolant, you want to replace it with pink coolant. Or you need to flush entire system carefully and repeatedly until you make sure there is no pink coolant left, and then fully fill it with red coolant.

It is like you don't mix dot 4 and dot 5 brake fluids (on is glycol another one is silicon). Same here with the coolants. Also red coolant is significantly shorter life - 2 years 30k miles vs. 5 years 150k miles (again kind of pointless considering water pump needs replacing every 60k and also Toyota recommends full coolant replacement at 100k and then 60k thereafter). 

There is a difference in their performance, lubricity, corrosion inhibition etc. Using red coolant will reduce your water pump life to 30k as well. Also kind of seemingly small point, but surprisingly important. Red coolant should be mixed with very pure water, if you mix it with tap water it will clog the engine (it sort of leaves white residue), pink coolant is better in that regard and protects the engine better. Meaning that to change pink coolant you can simply flush old coolant with tap water and you be alright, whatever trace amount of water is left the coolant will deal with it. Red coolant you need to flush either with distilled/desalinated water or just more red coolant itself. So it works out cheaper to use pink coolant, unless car already has red. 

Anyway... I do appreciate we are going way too deep into issues that is relatively minor in grand scheme of things at the moment... and for somebody that does not work on the cars or does not work on Japanese cars this sort of knowledge is not needed... I am just baffled that JDM garage seems to not know the difference, or not care.  

I will do a flush with distilled water or how it’s called at Tesco’s de-ionised water and add the proper pink coolant but it has to be next month or the next, the car needs a ton of money for things that it needs to actually be a decent car, I’m hoping whatever coolant he decides to use will do for the next 1-2 months 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links