Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Long Term Viability and Depreciation

Hi,

I am seriously considering moving from a 3-series BMW to an IS300H. I have had the 3 series for many years, but it has reached the stage now where I am playing whack-a-mole with dashboard lights, and it needs to go. I also don't want another BMW, as the cost of a 2020 three series with less than 40k miles has really crept up, and I have reservations about their reliability.

The IS300H seems to hit the spot regarding reliability, and they look pretty good, too. My issue surrounds the car's long-term viability and depreciation, and I am trying to develop a good purchase strategy. I plan to keep the car for approx 5 years, but most of the cars I see for sale now are around 2018 and 2019, with very few 2020 models. This is compounded further by the slightly ageing tech in the cars. I also see a lot of cars advertised where they either don't state there is a service history, or the service history doesn't seem to be every 10k miles. Is this a worry?

My main question is, in 2029 will a ten to eleven year old IS300H with 100k miles on the clock be a desirable car in the second-hand market? It's a crystal ball type question, but maybe there are some of you on here who have studied the used car markets over the years with opinions.

Cheers

God knows ... one train of thought is that by that time all new cars must be electric and that could lead to a good market for luxury petrol/hybrid cars. But there are many more scenarios possible were that isn't the case. 

My view is you buy a car to use and enjoy now ... so I'm enjoying my 2019 IS300h while being mindful it could be my last petrol powered car.

• Like 1

330d Or M340d would be a nice upgrade if I was a BMW fan.

IS300H gets the job done without a fuss for future you can be assured ten years from now the IS will still be rolling where as a hybrid from other manufacturers the Battery pack has probably packed in or ready to be scrapped as it's not worth the cost. Toyota/Lexus hold the crown for  hybrid cars check autotrader for abit of clarity.

Resale wise Lexus in general have a strong resale value so maybe worth slightly more than your average rival but in 10 years petrol engines will still be around diesel will probably get phased out because of emissions although they are the best all rounder for high mileage drivers. Lexus hybrid as long as they are emissions  compliant theyl likely continue to be in demand for areas where the gov sp4nk us.

In the UK German vehicle takes the market, Lexus in the US is popular but not over here unless the market drastically changes (unlikely) observed  people would rather have a tired high mileage 3 series over a well looked after equivalent  Lexus simply because of the badge to look cool infront of their friends. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links