Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Recharge the 12v battery by a 5A battery charger

Hi UX250 users, Yesterday by stupid mistake I made my 12v Battery flat and after jump start by AA the car run again but I was advised by gentleman from AA to recharge the 12v Battery by using a 5-6A Battery recharge from amazon. I buy one but like to ask members here: can I recharge the 12v Battery by connecting +ve clamp to the Red jump start terminal in fuse box under the hood and -ve clamp to unpainted metal point under the hood, Or I should clamp the 12v Battery +ve -ve terminal directly under the boot. Thanks.

If you have bought - or are buying - a modern smart trickle charger, it should come with detailed instructions and should be appropriate for your Battery type.

You can connect the charger leads directly to the Battery but there is a procedure to follow.

1.  Ensure the charger is switched off and disconnected from the mains.

2. Connect red lead to the + positive Battery terminal.

3. Connect the black lead to the - negative terminal.

4. Switch on the charger.

5.  When the Battery is fully charged, switch off the charger and disconnect it from the mains.

6.  Remove the leads from the Battery in the reverse order ie negative first and then the positive.

You don’t mention what make of charger you have - or are buying - but most will have an accessory charging lead available.  This consists of a short lead made of both red and black leads, with spade terminals at one end.  These connect directly to the appropriate Battery terminal.

The other end of the lead will have a plug connector.  This connects to a matching connector coming from the charger.  The method of use is that you position the lead from the Battery as far away from it as possible, with cable ties for example.  You can then plug the other end into the charger cable before switching it on - and without ever having to go back to the Battery.

I hope that has made it clear.  
PS.  If you haven’t yet bought your trickle charger, I can recommend the NOCO.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links