Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Guys, this is going to sound ridiculously amateur.. but basically I topped up my oil today on my IS250 2009 as the low oil message briefly flashed when I was doing high revs whilst on the M25. The dipstick is woeful and was showing empty even though I was putting oil in. Suddenly after about 1.5 litres I started getting streaks further up the dipstick. Now the main oil marker seems fine, but the steaks going up the dipstick are making me think I’ve overfilled it. What are your thoughts? I’m doing a 120 mile trip to Bath on Monday so panicking. 

IMG_3184.thumb.jpeg.da2c84a9110298ae17d0fd56cdef5a49.jpegIMG_3185.thumb.jpeg.70feea1e0e8f5b38f51c6b28238b90de.jpegIMG_3183.thumb.jpeg.92dd94e703894ee9319effb64a63e19d.jpeg  

Checking your oil level used to be very simple but for some reason it seems more complicated nowadays.

Just follow the instructions and ensure your car is level. Good luck 😃

After a dealer service I have had low oil level and also overfill so even mechanics find it difficult.

That looks spot on, the streaks from my experience are just residue that sits in the pipe and rub off the end of the dipstick as it twists.

My Merc dip stick is way worse, you almost feel like some major surgery is being undertaking as you wiggle it around.

On the overfilling, if a smidgen over the second dot okay, anything else I would be nervous as experience of overfilling has never been a good outcome 

1 hour ago, Micholas said:

Thanks all. I’m used to dipsticks that are very obvious. This one is a pain in the arse! But appreciate the answers 👍🏼

As you say, dipsticks used to be very obvious and give you a simple clear cut.

Possibly dipsticks nowadays go round several bends before reaching the oil.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links