Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Having had a few lexus

I'm torn between another 450h or a 600.

I'll only have a 6500 budget so the ls will have to be a high miler.

If I can find one with good history and under 200k .would I be being nieve in thinking theres a chance it won't cripple me financially.

Thanks 

• Haha 1

I would make sure that you have a good reserve fund if you are going in at that point. Unless you can do work yourself (I can't), there are some complex things that could quickly mount up to a big bill - even with an independent. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chasdad said:

theres a chance it won't cripple me financially.

indubitably it will unless you're amazingly lucky with all the gods on your side and you rarely use her .............. or am I being too downbeat ?

your profile says you have a Ls430  ...  why not use that more ?

Malc

11 hours ago, Malc1 said:

indubitably it will unless you're amazingly lucky with all the gods on your side and you rarely use her .............. or am I being too downbeat ?

your profile says you have a Ls430  ...  why not use that more ?

Malc

I sold the 430 years ago. Loads of common issues. I'd never buy another.

Often thought about either getting another 450h. Or importing a celsior 

I cannot say anything about the 450h but the 600hl will be way more expensive than the 430.  I had a 70000 miles 430 and now have a 600hl, acquired at 100000 miles and double your budget and the parts are very expensive (+£1000 per corner for the air shocks, etc.).  The 600hl is technically a far superior car.  The combination of awd and 5L V8 plus electric motors has to be experienced but the 430 is still considered by many the best of the Ls series.  Personally I think the Mk4 Ls400 was best with the Ls430 second best. Unfortunately the parts for the Ls400 are no longer availability from Lexus and when I needed to replace my 430 I couldn't find a good one and so ended up with the 600.  There is now a good 430 but the price is just under 10K.

Obviously double the price with shipping then add another £500.00 for registration and alterations like rear fog lights. 42,000 miles.

https://www.timesjpn.com/listings/toyota-celsior-2006-black/

The last year of the Celsior before Lexus finally arrived in Japan.

4 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Obviously double the price with shipping then add another £500.00 for registration and alterations like rear fog lights. 42,000 miles.

Looks real good car and price. One minus is that imports are harder to insure.

1 minute ago, steve2006 said:

I thought there was only me still up! 😀

Yes mine have both been JDM Celsiors and you are limited with insurance but mine has been reasonable albeit with limited mileage.

I do about 20K per year so.....

No idea what I'll do if they introduce the pay per mile!

8 hours ago, steve2006 said:

and that is R/H drive too, maybe that's why it's not expensive Stateside US$3000 and possibly worth importing to the UK  🙃

with sterling getting stronger by the day it seems 

Malc

On 9/19/2024 at 11:42 PM, GEN said:

I cannot say anything about the 450h but the 600hl will be way more expensive than the 430.  I had a 70000 miles 430 and now have a 600hl, acquired at 100000 miles and double your budget and the parts are very expensive (+£1000 per corner for the air shocks, etc.).  The 600hl is technically a far superior car.  The combination of awd and 5L V8 plus electric motors has to be experienced but the 430 is still considered by many the best of the Ls series.  Personally I think the Mk4 Ls400 was best with the Ls430 second best. Unfortunately the parts for the Ls400 are no longer availability from Lexus and when I needed to replace my 430 I couldn't find a good one and so ended up with the 600.  There is now a good 430 but the price is just under 10K.

I've been offered a 600H for just under 8k by a dealer but its been fitted with budget tyres (a real no-no in my book for such a heavy car) and makes me wonder if anything else has been overlooked. My own 430 just needs the driver seat refoamed, a gearbox service and the steering wheel motors replaced (I've already had the belts and radiator replaced) and I could get about 9k if I sold it - but I would be looking to get rid of the rubbish tyres so would be thinking 1k to sort that out at least so its a bit of a gamble and more or less a straight swap but I have mentioned on site that I am more inclined to keep the 430 and just lust after a 600 from afar.....  I get the feeling you would prefer the 430? 

8 minutes ago, BMCWP said:

I've been offered a 600H for just under 8k by a dealer but its been fitted with budget tyres (a real no-no in my book for such a heavy car) and makes me wonder if anything else has been overlooked. My own 430 just needs the driver seat refoamed, a gearbox service and the steering wheel motors replaced (I've already had the belts and radiator replaced) and I could get about 9k if I sold it - but I would be looking to get rid of the rubbish tyres so would be thinking 1k to sort that out at least so its a bit of a gamble and more or less a straight swap but I have mentioned on site that I am more inclined to keep the 430 and just lust after a 600 from afar.....  I get the feeling you would prefer the 430? 

Yes and no!

I agree that the 430 is probably the best of the Ls series overall and especially in terms of reliability.  On the other hand the 600 combination of power and awd result in unmatched handling. Of course if you haven't fully experienced it you won't miss it. Looking at the maintenance costs the 430 is the winner without question. Not least of all the 600 is a hybrid.  My Battery was under the warranty: it had its final check, it passed with flying colours and within 10 days the warranty expired and so did the Battery!  Cost: over 2K from Lexus with a 1 month warranty!

So it's not an easy choice.

But, given that you already have a 430 in good shape I'd probably stick with it.

They are both a pleasure to drive so, whatever your choice, enjoy it!

• Like 1

GEN hi 

I think driving some 20k miles a year in your great Ls600 with effectively quite modest per mile maintenance cost is GREAT ……. it’s when those same maintenance costs hit on more modest annual miles that immense pain follows I would imagine 

a Ls600 simply not for the feint hearted with an “ ordinary “ maintenance budget   😄

The Ls430 might “ win the day “ in this context 

Malc 

I'm running the LS on a very limited budget as is so it looks like I will be sticking with the 430 then if the 600 needs a bigger one. For once the head can rule the heart 🙂 I can start seeing about getting the other few jobs done again now - my only problem there is I can't seem to find anyone here in Northern Ireland that will do the work. Local auto spark doesn't want to know re the steering wheel motors and the same for the upholstery lot as they don't like the cooled seats (can't get the foam or something) I'm physically not able enough to do any of it either so my options are limited. neither job is a "while you wait" from what I can gather so an overnight in an air b&b will be my only option IF I can find someone...... 

I had also considered going back to a Jaguar XJ but again I had an X308 and loved it but after an old accident injury returned I found that it was too low to the ground, the next generation alloy bodied X350/356/358 models are bigger and better but a mate has a 350 that has just set him back the best part of 2k to get through an MOT (in fairness it was quite ropey) so again not sure. 

I'm in a unique position that I have owned a large number of barges so can compare like for like and it says it all really when I still have the 430 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BMCWP said:

I'm running the LS on a very limited budget as is so it looks like I will be sticking with the 430 then if the 600 needs a bigger one. For once the head can rule the heart 🙂 I can start seeing about getting the other few jobs done again now - my only problem there is I can't seem to find anyone here in Northern Ireland that will do the work. Local auto spark doesn't want to know re the steering wheel motors and the same for the upholstery lot as they don't like the cooled seats (can't get the foam or something) I'm physically not able enough to do any of it either so my options are limited. neither job is a "while you wait" from what I can gather so an overnight in an air b&b will be my only option IF I can find someone...... 

I had also considered going back to a Jaguar XJ but again I had an X308 and loved it but after an old accident injury returned I found that it was too low to the ground, the next generation alloy bodied X350/356/358 models are bigger and better but a mate has a 350 that has just set him back the best part of 2k to get through an MOT (in fairness it was quite ropey) so again not sure. 

I'm in a unique position that I have owned a large number of barges so can compare like for like and it says it all really when I still have the 430 🙂

I wouldn't have bought the 600 except for the fact that some clever driver wrote off my 430.  But financially the 400 was best: only major jobs were timing belt/wp and starter.

It's worth repeating that the 600 has two major problems built in: the hybrid Battery and the air suspension. Both will fail, it's just a matter of when not if and they are both expensive to fix.

• Like 2

Brian hi 

The steering rake motors can be bought non-Main Dealer  I’m reading  from other posts and save a small fortune 

Seats I know nowt about ….. I’ve never read about those “ failing “ …… the heater elements in the 400s stop working and really aren’t fixable they say 

Malc 

Dan I have posted several times as other members will confirm asking firstly why you are sometimes unable to even provide a quote for a Lexus vehicle and secondly why insurance premiums have increased so much recently to the point where some quotes are more than the value of 5he vehicle being insured.

All I am asking for is a response for those, like yourself, in the insurance business to give their “ side of the story”

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links