Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Alternative places for lexus servicing?

I have a 2017 Lexus IS 300h which is due for a service soon.

I have looked into Lexus Services and they are way more expensive than independent garages. Although, I know with Lexus we get the warranty, not sure if it will be used given reliability of Lexus with regular servicing. 

I was wondering if there are independent garages that are approved by Lexus for servicing and are cheaper?

Alternatively, anyone has any experience of good mechanics in either West Midlands or Berkshire region?

Thanks

There are no independent garages that are certified by Lexus. Like for other marquees, there are some independents run by ex Lexus / Toyota trained staff dotted around - I haven't used any but others may be able to name some. 

Any main dealer for any make of car will be more expensive than an independent garage and Lexus aren't so different to any others in terms of cost. You have to weigh up the pros and cons (which for Lexus include the additional warranty and the hybrid Battery warranty) and make a choice based on your own circumstances and needs. If you do go independent you can get the regular hybrid health check done at a Lexus dealer for around £60 that can be repeated until the car is 15 years old with unlimited mileage. 

Regards the warranty, any car can go wrong and Lexus are expensive to repair if they do. Using an independent will save some money that you can put away for when something does go wrong that would otherwise have been covered under warranty (and it will as a car ages - even a Lexus) - it's all a matter of managing risk.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

I have a 2017 Lexus IS 300h which is due for a service soon.

I have looked into Lexus Services and they are way more expensive than independent garages. Although, I know with Lexus we get the warranty, not sure if it will be used given reliability of Lexus with regular servicing. 

I was wondering if there are independent garages that are approved by Lexus for servicing and are cheaper?

Alternatively, anyone has any experience of good mechanics in either West Midlands or Berkshire region?

Thanks

My Advice ---Stick to the Dealership--- Most Members on Here Would tell You That...!!! If Only For the Peace of Mind With The Warranty...!!!!

• Like 1

I recently had an interim 10,000 mile service done on my 2017 IS 300h with 109,000 mileage on the clock.

The service warranty was not Validated due to mileage but I believe having the Health Check and passed it validates warranty for the Battery.

Is this correct.

Health check picked up wheel alignment required on four tyres and new condenser recommended due to possible stone damage (£970 cost!)

As only had car for 6 months came as bit of a shock to pocket! Put on hold for now.

Any views on above and continuing using a Lexus dealer for next main service. 

Customer service was very good tho.

9 minutes ago, Coach P said:

I recently had an interim 10,000 mile service done on my 2017 IS 300h with 109,000 mileage on the clock.

The service warranty was not Validated due to mileage but I believe having the Health Check and passed it validates warranty for the battery.

Is this correct.

Health check picked up wheel alignment required on four tyres and new condenser recommended due to possible stone damage (£970 cost!)

As only had car for 6 months came as bit of a shock to pocket! Put on hold for now.

The Health Check is different to the Hybrid Health Check. The Health Check is simply the list of items that the service goes through and identifies anything that needs addressing (such as as the condenser and alignment). The Hybrid Health Check is a completely separate service that checks the condition of the hybrid Battery. If the hybrid Battery passes these checks it is then warrantied for another 12 months / 10K miles (whichever comes first). If you have the car serviced by Lexus then the Hybrid Health Check is included within the price of the service and you should have received a Hybrid Health Check certificate on collecting the car. If you don't have the car serviced by Lexus then you can ask them to undertake the Hybrid Health Check (the cost is about £70) which if the hybrid Battery passes these checks it is then warrantied for another 12 months / 10K miles (whichever comes first). The hybrid Battery can be kept under warranty like this until the car is 15 years old with unlimited mileage.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

There are no independent garages that are certified by Lexus. Like for other marquees, there are some independents run by ex Lexus / Toyota trained staff dotted around - I haven't used any but others may be able to name some. 

Any main dealer for any make of car will be more expensive than an independent garage and Lexus aren't so different to any others in terms of cost. You have to weigh up the pros and cons (which for Lexus include the additional warranty and the hybrid battery warranty) and make a choice based on your own circumstances and needs. If you do go independent you can get the regular hybrid health check done at a Lexus dealer for around £60 that can be repeated until the car is 15 years old with unlimited mileage. 

Regards the warranty, any car can go wrong and Lexus are expensive to repair if they do. Using an independent will save some money that you can put away for when something does go wrong that would otherwise have been covered under warranty (and it will as a car ages - even a Lexus) - it's all a matter of managing risk.

11 hours ago, Coach P said:

The service warranty was not Validated due to mileage but I believe having the Health Check and passed it validates warranty for the battery.

Is this correct.

11 hours ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

My Advice ---Stick to the Dealership--- Most Members on Here Would tell You That...!!! If Only For the Peace of Mind With The Warranty...!!!!

Thanks for the replies. Excuse my naivety, but my concern is like what @Coach P experienced, if it was a one off payement fine, but there could be extra costs which could make it more expensive, what does the service fee cover then? Do they just do basic checks and replace basic stuff and anything extra discovered will require an extra payment?

Also what abut tyre checks and replacements? Are these covered by Lexus Services?

Again please excuse my lack of experience. Thanks. 

18 minutes ago, DarkKnight said:

Thanks for the replies. Excuse my naivety, but my concern is like what @Coach P experienced, if it was a one off payement fine, but there could be extra costs which could make it more expensive, what does the service fee cover then? Do they just do basic checks and replace basic stuff and anything extra discovered will require an extra payment?

Also what abut tyre checks and replacements? Are these covered by Lexus Services?

Again please excuse my lack of experience. Thanks. 

The service will cover the items listed in the service schedule which can be found in the service book (the one that gets stamped Each service) that you should have with the car. What is done each service changes according to age and mileage. Each service some items are replaced and others checked but these will vary depending on the age/mileage the service is done. However Lexus just have two prices - one for the intermediate service and one for the full service - these alternate each 12 months or 10K miles (which ever comes first). Maintenance items such as tyres, brake discs/pads are not included in the service pricing. And of course any other items not listed in the service schedule (though they may be covered by the warranty). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

The service will cover the items listed in the service schedule which can be found in the service book (the one that gets stamped Each service) that you should have with the car. What is done each service changes according to age and mileage. Each service some items are replaced and others checked but these will vary depending on the age/mileage the service is done. However Lexus just have two prices - one for the intermediate service and one for the full service - these alternate each 12 months or 10K miles (which ever comes first). Maintenance items such as tyres, brake discs/pads are not included in the service pricing. And of course any other items not listed in the service schedule (though they may be covered by the warranty). 

Thanks will look into that, I am due the 80k full service. 

I looked at My Lexus online and when trying to book the service it gives a drop off time in the morning and pick up time at around 6PM, is that how it usually is? I thought I could drop it off with them and collect it within a couple of hours max? So will have to travel from and to the dealer without my car?

1 minute ago, DarkKnight said:

Thanks will look into that, I am due the 80k full service. 

I looked at My Lexus online and when trying to book the service it gives a drop off time in the morning and pick up time at around 6PM, is that how it usually is? I thought I could drop it off with them and collect it within a couple of hours max? So will have to travel from and to the dealer without my car?

I always leave my car for the whole day. Sometimes I book a courtesy car (but need to book at least a month ahead for that) and sometimes my wife picks me up and drops me off. Or I get the bus/train if I haven't arranged either! You often can request a service while you wait depending on the dealer (though they only have limited slots for those). Personally I prefer to leave the car for the day rather than feel I am rushing them by waiting for it. Booking early gives you options - if you leave booking until a couple of weeks before the service is due your options will be more limited - usually meaning leaving it there for the day and making your own way from and to the dealer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wharfhouse said:

I always leave my car for the whole day. Sometimes I book a courtesy car (but need to book at least a month ahead for that) and sometimes my wife picks me up and drops me off. Or I get the bus/train if I haven't arranged either! You often can request a service while you wait depending on the dealer (though they only have limited slots for those). Personally I prefer to leave the car for the day rather than feel I am rushing them by waiting for it. Booking early gives you options - if you leave booking until a couple of weeks before the service is due your options will be more limited - usually meaning leaving it there for the day and making your own way from and to the dealer. 

Thanks will plan ahead! 

Just wondering do you normally just book it online through the website or go in person and book it. Is there any benefit to either? 

Also are service plans worth it? Couldn't find much information about them online?

1 minute ago, DarkKnight said:

Thanks will plan ahead! 

Just wondering do you normally just book it online through the website or go in person and book it. Is there any benefit to either? 

Also are service plans worth it? Couldn't find much information about them online?

I used to phone my dealer to book but have now started doing it online and all seems to work OK. I add any notes for anything I want looking at and when I take the car in the dealer has those notes and I explain it in more detail face to face.

A service plan simply adds together the costs of a number of services and then lets you pay the total up front or pay monthly - if you are disciplined saving money you could do that yourself. However the service plan does fix the price of the services when it's taken out and so one benefit is that you are protected from and inflation. I've had service plans for 8 years - I schedule 3 services over 2 years each plan and pay monthly. . 

It's worth noting that if you haven't paid enough into the service plan (if paying monthly) to cover when a service is due (maybe you have done more miles than was planned) you may need to pay a top up for that service. You won't pay anything more overall for the designated number of services but you can't run a debit (only a credit). 

• Like 1

There are toyota lexus workshops that are authorised workshops i.e they are not dealerships that sell cars but only service centres e.g Lexus Hayes , Lexus chalfont & st.giles. they are cheaper than dealerships for repairs but for servicing lexus has a fixed price of ~350 for a minor service and ~550 for a major service and this price is the same across. But for repairs prices vary e.g i got my waterpump fixed at lexus hayes for ~320 ish whereas lexus twickenham which is a dealership wanted ~420.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links