Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Idle issue? After replacing headlight bulbs?

Ucf10Glenn

So I recently replaced my headlight bulbs bc one went back and I did both bc the the colors were different. Well after I got it all buttoned back together and started it ran very poorly. I tried to get it to drive a lil and it seemed very unhappy and seemed like it wanted to stall. Not sure what I did wrong as I put it back together very meticulously. Maybe I messed up putting the intake back on?

This sounds to me like you missed reconnecting something. To replace the bulb did you have to disconnect any other cables? If so check those connections as some sensors can be critical to the car running well. A friend accidentally unplugged the air temperature sensor on his 2018 Merc C-class and it ran like a dog until he found what he had done.
When something isn't right like that, the ECU runs the engine in "safe" mode which is lower power and has a deliberately "lumpy" feeling to motivate you to get it fixed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PCM said:

( Note sure what 'bc' means? )

Were the bulbs branded and genuine?

Did you disconnect the battery?

May the car is 'learning' your driving again after a battery disconnect? 

Bc means because. I did disconnect the Battery but it’s never acted like this before. I mean the bubbles are H1 LED upgrades, but regardless I don’t think that would have messed the car up. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigBoomer said:

This sounds to me like you missed reconnecting something. To replace the bulb did you have to disconnect any other cables? If so check those connections as some sensors can be critical to the car running well. A friend accidentally unplugged the air temperature sensor on his 2018 Merc C-class and it ran like a dog until he found what he had done.
When something isn't right like that, the ECU runs the engine in "safe" mode which is lower power and has a deliberately "lumpy" feeling to motivate you to get it fixed.

I didn’t disconnect anything else but I’m going everything to see if everything is hooked up. The only thing I see that might be causing an issue is this, it’s a rubber cap from a delete of something. The previous owner musta deleted the vaccum like for something or another but it never affected the car. I think it’s prolly part of the power steering fluid thing he fixed. Do you think this could have caused the issue?

image.jpg

48 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

If you touched the intake then possible a vacuum pipe isn't connected properly (or old rubber split as it was moved).

Would this be an issue? Cap from vaccum line delete for some reason. Previous owner did it but never had an issue before.

image.jpg

19 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

If that is supposed to be sealing that nipple, it isn't.
See if you can find a similar sized cap (or a piece of hose with a fold & clamp on it and see if that fixes the problem.

Yea I just tried that and it’s still running poorly. I have disconnected the Battery, I’m gonna give it like 15 mins and try again. Hoping it does a lil factory reset on it and starts working again but if not I’m at my wits end. All I did was replace my headlight bulb 😂

18 minutes ago, Ucf10Glenn said:

All I did was replace my headlight bulb

You also said you took the intake off, the symptoms you describe could well be caused by a vacuum leak somewhere, a smoke test may be required to diagnose if that is the problem.

12 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

You also said you took the intake off, the symptoms you describe could well be caused by a vacuum leak somewhere, a smoke test may be required to diagnose if that is the problem.

Smoke test? And yes Ik I was exaggerating 😂 also idk if it’s a vacuum leak at this point. But I will definitely look deeper.

• Like 1

Also try disconnecting the LED headlights and see if that fixes it. LEDs have a lot of electronics in them and it could be that they are interfering with something in the engine management.
I've heard of it before, but not seen it myself.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

Also try disconnecting the LED headlights and see if that fixes it. LEDs have a lot of electronics in them and it could be that they are interfering with something in the engine management.
I've heard of it before, but not seen it myself.

I’m gonna try this tn thank yiu

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links