Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

12v Battery Monitor and Jump Starter pack (RX450h+)

Any views and opinions please on...

(1) a 12v Battery monitor (something like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295644935211), so charge can be monitored on the mobile phone

(2) recommending a jump starter power pack, specifically one for the Lexus RX450h+ (one of these maybe, https://www.amazon.co.uk/car-jump-start/s?k=car+jump+start)

Just for peace of mind....

Many thanks in advance!

Both are fine. Just be aware that the Battery monitor works via Bluetooth to your phone, so you need to stand near the vehicle to get a reading.

Any booster will do, you don't need a high capacity one for the 450h+ - personally I like Noco products but those cheaper Chinese boosters work fine (aside from a concern about lithium ion Battery packs and safety - I'd store it at 80% capacity rather than 100%).

Thanks Colin. Is any particular current required (they vary enormously) and any concern with a sudden charge, from power pack, of larger current than required? Excuse my ignorance here!

1 hour ago, TonyLexus said:

Thanks Colin. Is any particular current required (they vary enormously) and any concern with a sudden charge, from power pack, of larger current than required? Excuse my ignorance here!

No, because the hybrid system doesn't start the petrol engine from the 12v system (it uses the hybrid battery). Therefore the 12v power pack really only needs enough power for the on-board computers (something like 20 amps) so the smallest one will do. You can use a larger capacity pack without issue, the car will only draw what it requires independent on what the pack could provide.

The only advice I give people is to purchase a pack with enough capacity for use with other cars in the household, or for helping a neighbour etc. e.g. if you wife has a large diesel car then get something that can support its requirement.

Took the Lexus to the dealership yesterday (for unrelated work). Showed them the Ancel Battery monitor and asked them to fit it whilst I was there. They would, but said also that the monitor running all the time would, in itself, be a drain on the 12v Battery, however slight. It would be my decision if I wanted them to go ahead and fit it. I've reserved decision on that at the moment...

As for the jump starter, they said they use them all the time, for cars that may have not been started for some weeks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links