Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus Reserve & RZ vs RX

I’ve had a RX500h F Sport Takumi for the last 3 days through Lexus Reserve. Excellent service, confirmation emails of delivery time and personable delivery driver. Car was a 24 reg with 3,000 miles and immaculate. Hiccup initially as email said I was to insure. Sorted as Lexus do insure, you have to provide a DVLA access code so they can verify your ‘history’. Service is provided by Toyota & Lexus Fleet Demonstration Team, who knew nothing about Reserve and thought they were dropping a demo car off, hence the insurance confusion. 

I logged in and was pleasantly surprised that the profile was loaded seamlessly. I’m hoping the same will happen in the RZ using the RX settings because I turned off the Driver Attention monitor during the first drive and it did not default back on through 4 or 5 restarts. My RZ always defaulted back. 

I have been thinking of biting the bullet and changing back to a plug-in, possibly a RX. After driving the F Sport I’m not so sure now. Perhaps because it was a F Sport, I found the engine noise wearing and the ride quality a bit too harsh. It felt a lot bigger (very similar to my Range Rover Velar) to drive but also more spacious. I found (again might be the F Sport spec) the leather seats uncomfortable - far too firm. The seat heating & cooling was a lot more than the RZ and I checked the settings were the same - not sure why that should be. Found the digital rear view mirror a distraction so turned it off. Rear wash / wiper was a welcome addition. The driving was primarily duel carriageway & motorways (stretches limited to 50mph) averaged about 30 mpg. The front doors seemed much bigger so more difficult to get in and out in tight parking spots. Overall, if I were to switch back I wouldn’t consider the F Sport and would have to test drive a 450h to see if my observations were really only down to the F Sport spec. 

• Like 3

I’m also achieving c50 miles of EV range from a charge in my 450h+ which is most suitable for the majority of my journeys. The car is also good for our longer holidays with a bike carrier on the tow bar. We extensively tested the Velar (pre facelift) PHEV and preferred the comfort of the RX. However there is some harshness to the ride on rough surfaces at about 40mph. With many manufacturers developing PHEV cars I hope you can enjoy your research process 

I am using an RZ premium + as a courtesy car as some minor work is being done on my RX and I am very impressed with it, the drive is very smooth. I had one for a day a few months ago but I enjoy the experience more now probably because the novelty factor is gone.  The drive (my opinion only) is better than my RX but I have not used the RZ on motorway. The interior feels less solid than in my RX but it is still of very high standard. The one I am driving has the software update as the odometer said 220 miles range when I picked it up but it is the premium + version and I thought the software update was not available on this version because of interference with the HUD ?

• Like 2

I have just taken delivery of my RZ Takumi which has the HUD.  It has the update and shows the percentage of Battery.  The range at 100% says 246 no ac.  I had a Velar and although I liked that car my wife didn’t and prefers the size of the RZ.  So far I am really enjoying it and range is not an issue as I rarely drive 100 miles or more.

• Like 2

So it seems that the issue of the software update and the HUD is now sorted. I really enjoyed the drive of the RZ, it is very smooth and the size of the car is perfect. I am not sure how the RZ compares with the RX450h+ when the latter is in electric mode ?

Algee - be interesting to see what the range shows after a week or so. It only took a few days of my driving for it to drop to about 220 - before the update. I had a Velar plug-in for 2 years, when it was good, it was very good but when it was bad it was very bad ! From new, 8 times to the dealers - which was why I bought a Lexus which unfortunately been back about 5 times in 16 months. 

FredD the guaranteed way to know the car has the upgrade is that it shows a % as well as the range. As Algee has just taken delivery of a Takumi with it it looks like Lexus have sorted it 

17 minutes ago, wivenhoe said:

Algee - be interesting to see what the range shows after a week or so. It only took a few days of my driving for it to drop to about 220 - before the update. I had a Velar plug-in for 2 years, when it was good, it was very good but when it was bad it was very bad ! From new, 8 times to the dealers - which was why I bought a Lexus which unfortunately been back about 5 times in 16 months. 

FredD the guaranteed way to know the car has the upgrade is that it shows a % as well as the range. As Algee has just taken delivery of a Takumi with it it looks like Lexus have sorted it 

Thanks wivenhoe, could you explain why your RZ went back to the dealer 5 times ? I thought the RZ was very reliable. I would have no problem in buying the RZ as a second car - this is what I was considering doing but I had to change my plans and instead I am now trading my RX (4th generation) because of the canbus issue. As I drive to France and Italy a few times a year, the RZ would not be suitable 

I am about to trade it with the 500h, I like  the torque and there are good deals around but now am considering the 450h+ although I never tried one hence my question how it drives in electric mode v/ the RZ. The RZ would have been my first choice because of the salary sacrifice scheme my employer offers but I need a petrol car for my trips to Europe (4 or 5 trips per year)

• Like 1

A question for RZ drivers. Doesn't the reflection from the rear window in the infotainment screen bother you? In my seating position it was annoying and covered most of the screen. I think it was mostly the rear window, could have been roof, and it wasn't a particularly sunny or bright day either during the test drive. It meant the maps were near useless.

18 minutes ago, peniole said:

A question for RZ drivers. Doesn't the reflection from the rear window in the infotainment screen bother you? In my seating position it was annoying and covered most of the screen. I think it was mostly the rear window, could have been roof, and it wasn't a particularly sunny or bright day either during the test drive. It meant the maps were near useless.

Have to say I have never noticed any reflection in the infotainment screen even on a bright day and I can see the maps quite clearly.  I had a number of issues with the RZ in the early days of ownership but thankfully no issues with reflections

12 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

Bob, for info mine is still showing 220 miles on a full charge although I expect this to start dropping soon with the colder weather. With regards the software upgrade, I am reliably informed that all Takumi  cars now have it as standard when delivered so the issues must now be resolved. 

7 hours ago, FredD said:

I am about to trade it with the 500h, I like  the torque and there are good deals around but now am considering the 450h+ although I never tried one hence my question how it drives in electric mode v/ the RZ. The RZ would have been my first choice because of the salary sacrifice scheme my employer offers but I need a petrol car for my trips to Europe (4 or 5 trips per year)

you know about the 42 days hybrid car offer, that you get with every RZ?

Thanks, if I buy an RZ it would be through my employer company car scheme and the 42 days hybrid car offer  is not available on that scheme. The offer is only if you buy the RZ direct from a Lexus dealer. This does not matter to me. I drove the RZ for a few days and still have it until they fix my RX. I really like the RZ, the smoothness of the drive is fantastic and it is a very easy car to live with. I can see the range being an issue but if you have a home charger and if you do not travel long distance (500 miles +) the issue should be mitigated.  The bad point of this car that Lexus should address asap is the charging port lid that is of very poor quality

I maybe do 1 long trip a year so no issue for me.  Have you thought about hiring a car for the 4 or 5 long trips?  I have a salary sacrifice lease which is very cheap so could hire a car for a week or two if I found it an issue.  Could even treat myself to something more fun on those occasions!!

Unfortunately renting a car is not an option as I take all my vacations in Europe so insurance would be a nightmare and in winter I drive in tough conditions (winter tyres or chains are compulsory)

10 hours ago, FredD said:

I am about to trade it with the 500h, I like  the torque and there are good deals around but now am considering the 450h+ although I never tried one hence my question how it drives in electric mode v/ the RZ. 

Check out the 450h+ before you sign on the dotted line for the 500!

FredD. As John said, my issues were in the early days and I think my car was one of the first ones. Memorable issues were having no AC charging for weeks whilst they sourced a replacement AC charging module. I was locked out due to a flat 12v Battery and the manual key wouldn’t open it, then the update and recall and a diagnostic check on the system software. It has settled now and also the dealers are far more experienced - if only the Lexus Link+ App had progressed as well. I had a Mercedes plug-in 8 years ago and the App was far more reliable and had a load more functions. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links