Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is there a way to fix these old headlights

Tynisteri

Assuming it is on the outside then yes you can rub the headlights down with progressively finer wet&dry sandpaper (e.g. 400, 800, 1,200 and 2,000) and then use a polishing compound to bring them back to new. I'd recommend then sealing them with a clear lacquer to protect the finish, otherwise you will have to repeat every couple of years.

1 hour ago, Tynisteri said:

The plastic seems worn or something, there isnt even that much condensation. Is there a way to make these look new?

IMG_1497.jpeg

IMG_1499.jpeg

Wouldn't go so far as to say 'new'. However, mine cleaned up very nicely using the slightly abrasive side of a kitchen sink pad (not brillo!) applying Peek polishing paste. Then just wipe off with damp cloth. From experience I know you don't even have to mask the headlight off as the paste will do no damage to your paint work as long as you wipe it off with a damp cloth and don't make the mistake of dry rubbing it in.

Peek paste can be bought off amazon. If you do it please post up a pic and let us know how you got on.

Most solution are nothing more than using something mildly abrasive. Operative word being "mildly".

In my experience)have done it myself and had it done by Lexus) it is only a very temporary solution (1 year at best). Before experimenting I have read about a solution, seen it on YouTube, etc.  By the way, unless you're looking for exhausting exercise I wouldn't not attempt this without some sort of powered sander/polisher.

23 minutes ago, GEN said:

In my experience)have done it myself and had it done by Lexus) it is only a very temporary solution (1 year at best)

If you don't lacquer them afterwards then yes, they won't last long - the hard shell of the plastic is removed with wear and sanding them down and so they aren't as protected as they once were.

3 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Assuming it is on the outside then yes you can rub the headlights down with progressively finer wet&dry sandpaper (e.g. 400, 800, 1,200 and 2,000) and then use a polishing compound to bring them back to new. I'd recommend then sealing them with a clear lacquer to protect the finish, otherwise you will have to repeat every couple of years.

On my plastic lenses 2006 Honda Legend  ( my Ls400s are all glass )  we do this every year just before MOT time and it gets them in best condition going forward for another year ..  it's a relatively simple quick job done each time

Trying to do permanent clean-ups on plastic lenses has never worked for me SO just resigned to this annual simple quick " fix "

Malc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Is there a way to know if its inside or outside

I recently used a Sylvania kit on the LS460. Cost £35 from amazon for two bottles of liquid that will do 6 headlights, and I had to supply my own masking tape and wet and dry. You'll probably find that the haze is simply old oxidised coating on the plastic and will go with the stripping and sanding.

The headlights do look new from a few feet away now, but there is some very minor crazing in the polycarbonate when you look up close. I'll try to get a pic when I get home. 

FYI watch some videos of headlight restoration on YT first, it's a job that could be quite stressful and concerning if you haven't seen it done before as it looks worse before it looks better!

2 hours ago, GEN said:

In my experience)have done it myself and had it done by Lexus) it is only a very temporary solution (1 year at best). Before experimenting I have read about a solution, seen it on YouTube, etc.  By the way, unless you're looking for exhausting exercise I wouldn't not attempt this without some sort of powered sander/polisher.

It literally took me no more than 5 mins using a pad and Peek paste. All by hand and I am not exactly the most robust OAP on here. I did them about 8 mths ago and they have stayed clear at this point, but given the time and minimal cost it takes I would be happy to do them every year.

Just now, Boomer54 said:

It literally took me no more than 5 mins using a pad and Peek paste. All by hand and I am not exactly the most robust OAP on here. I did them about 8 mths ago and they have stayed clear at this point, but given the time and minimal cost it takes I would be happy to do them every year.

Congratulations, good for you!

Wish I had found it that easy.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

If you don't lacquer them afterwards then yes, they won't last long - the hard shell of the plastic is removed with wear and sanding them down and so they aren't as protected as they once were.

1 minute ago, GEN said:

Congratulations, good for you!

Wish I had found it that easy.

In truth it may depend upon what exactly is causing the problem. I think my method works well if you are just looking at aging effect on the plastic lense. Anything further than I just don't know.

YT is full of this stuff, but trust me having worked on many surfaces (hobby with paint effects) they have one thing in common. That is, they all involve some form of mild abrasive. I tried baking soda/lemon (acidic)...no good. WD40...no good. Plastic cleaners...no good. The result was just getting the abrasive level needed and that was a simple kitchen pad and Peek compound.

1 hour ago, Tynisteri said:

Okay the problem is on the inside of the headlight. I used 400 800 1500 and 2000 and no progress

You would need to finish off with a cutting compound/polish otherwise it would remain very cloudy.

If it is on the inside, have non-standard bulbs been used that have overheated the lens?

• Like 1

But about halfway thru he’s mentioning it’s a “ permanent fix for months or years “  ……. not quite permanent sadly BUT as expected ……… an every year fix maybe 🤔

And the insides ? 

Malc 

16 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

You would need to finish off with a cutting compound/polish otherwise it would remain very cloudy.

If it is on the inside, have non-standard bulbs been used that have overheated the lens?

I would assume so. I used clear cloat to get rid of cloudiness. When i put my headlights on and look into the lens i can see that its like that on the inside. Also theres some condensation there too.

I would assume that some owner before me used non-standard bulbs.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links