Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Did Leeds Lexus change my £87 air filters???

Check to see what all is meant to be included at that particular mileage service for your car. Some dealers are absolute cheats. I had a major service done to my IS a couple of years ago at lexus Twickenham and a differential oil change was listed as one of the things that they were meant to do for the price at an 80k service. But they didn't do it and went on to pretend like everything was fine and all service items were done. When i questioned them about why its not on the invoice...thats when they were like ooh yeat btw we didnt do that because we didnt have the oil in stock. I insisted that it needs doing as its on the list of items to be done at an 80k service and i paid for it so i want it. Come again another day and we'll do it is what they said.  I was livid....if they didnt do it because of oil not being in stock isnt it their duty to tell me upfront when they were talking me through the jobs theyve done and issued me with an invoice? Why did they only tell me about the oil not being in stock once i caught that it wasnt done? Had i not caught it they would have gone on like everything was ok.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steve said:

its gets to the point now where i start stripping filters off before i drive off. I have seen filters on 3 occasions with wasps and leaves and send the car straight back.

One never put the oil filter on properly and half the oil ****** everywhere over the course of 50 miles, good job i spotted it, they blamed a faulty oil filter.. yeah right

And then i have one where they were inspecting the oil and drips of oil all over the front of the car and again dirty air filter. Made them come out and pick up the car and sort it.

Miss the days when we used to have dealer reviews. maybe something we should resurrect

15 hours ago, Tom999 said:

This was the 6 year service.  I can't believe they didn't follow the 40,000 mile instructions when the car was showing 39,800 🙄.

The dealership manager told me the mechanics only do what's on the schedule, he was implying they don't even have to clean the filters!

Google and trust pilot reviews are the only recourse.

Good news is the engine bay looks mint, had to treat and spray a couple of corroded bits. Not sure what these are but bolted on the front face of the two cylinder heads is an electronic unit, galvanised looking with a multi-plug on each, left one very corroded so rubbed down n sprayed back to silver.

I can ad to this, last month my Lexus was called in for service check but there were about 1500km left to oil change (they did not have a plan for that) I change at 5000km no matter what and in a bad winter when I use this car only for dry weather and short trips then I get more fuel to the oil than I want to and then 3500km is my changing time. So before every service check I call what is in it and I ad in what I want done in the process. The Lexus computer algo does not take into account what is getting close todo..         

I am an old out of date mechanic+++ and oils are holy things for me but I got into a trouble with the main (arguing with three mechanics in front of me and in the end the quiet one told them .. guys.. he only wants the correct oil..) dealer here in my country they used 5W-30 oil instead of the 0W-20 oil that is recommended for my climate in the manual and I got into argument that I wanted the correct oil and if the change did not come from Lexus Japan I would ignore it but they told me this change came from the Lexus Europe and I told them that I did not give a F**** about that coz in the manual stands black in white Quote (SAE 0W-20 is filled into your Lexus vehicle at manufacturing, and the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If SAE 0W-20 oil is not available, SAE 5W-30 oil may be used. How ever, it should be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change). There is another reason for this thin oil, and that is piston ring sot and the tight VVT manufacturing clearance. So I always need to mention that I want the CORRECT oil at the service intervals.       + the Hybrid is a stop/start engine and that puts extra demands from the oil quality.  Kind regards.

• Like 1

Last year at the big 60,000 mile service I had a difficult time understanding what the Lexus service people had done to my car.

To explain: The schedule says change diff oil. This is built in to the fixed price. It was not changed but no reduction in price. After a few backwards and forwards talks I got the information that it is an option for the garage to decide. I don't think they even checked the oil but cannot be sure. So the dealer says don't do the work but charge for it anyway. On the next service I insisted on changing the diff oil and had to pay for the privilege ( that makes two payments for the same job in my opinion ).

This has been discussed before but some people say a diff oil change is not needed. So why not seal it for life and why have a means to refill?  I agree with Sigurdur above and think we should go with what we have been taught and not take the garages word for it. For example running-in and nursing a cold engine until the oil warms up etc.  Still valid arguments for a long healthy life for the car.  BTW a car that has been run badly means more work for the garage and more costs for the motorist. Logic innit.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tom999 said:

You do have a point Colin but 200 miles! Not sure I understand the 4 year interval, the cars serviced yearly.

Your current mileage being near 40,000 miles is irrelevant - the car has already had its 40k mile service two years ago.

The service interval for the air filter is replacement every 4 years or 40,000 miles - whichever occurs first. If your car got to 4 years old before it had done 40,000 miles, the 4th year service still would have been conducted as a '40,000 mile' service and the air filters replaced. That resets the clock on the air filters and they would then only need to be replaced in another 4 years time (when the vehicle is 8 years old) or at whatever mileage the vehicle was at the time of the service + 40k miles.

Given that your vehicle doesn't appear to be doing 10k miles per year the next time your air filters would need to be changed is when it is 8 years old.

Your service therefore was scheduled correctly, as a 6year/60k mile service without air filters. The only issue is they didn't inspect the existing air filters and give them a quick clean - this should be done according to the service schedule and maintenance documentation that Lexus corporate publish but sadly it doesn't surprise me that a dealer doesn't bother to do such things 😞 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMB said:

I agree with Sigurdur above and think we should go with what we have been taught and not take the garages word for it. For example running-in and nursing a cold engine until the oil warms up etc.

Is anybody stating you don't have to look after a cold engine? Lexus do it for you on the LC where the rev limit automatically is lowered below 4,000 rpm when cold which steadily increases to 7,300 rpm as the engine warms up.

I think all of us, whichever car we have, would always want the air filter checked over at each service, scheduled or nay, and if it seems to need changing through whatever reason, miles, air driving conditions, weather whatever, then it could do with being changed to ensure the best running of the car

It's just so sad that the Main Dealer can't be bothered with this sort of " norm "

I know that my indy would always check this out and if ok, then it's ok .  if not then he would change it  ...  tiny cost within a normal service eh !

Abandon the Main Stealer for servicing asap 

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Is anybody stating you don't have to look after a cold engine? Lexus do it for you on the LC where the rev limit automatically is lowered below 4,000 rpm when cold which steadily increases to 7,300 rpm as the engine warms up

I was referring to the people such as our neighbours who race off with a cold engine, even in mid winter. Also 4000rpm is too high for a cold engine in winter. I would suggest 2000rpm max, but I suppose it's your car and you can treat it however you wish. BTW I have not recently heard any dealer saying be nice and gentle with your car until it gets warmed up. Years ago it was taken as a "given".  But, by the same token, I haven't seen many cars burning oil nowadays as used to happen - light blue smoke on the overrun, so engines must have better tolerances than before and oil is probably better, but there is no harm in being kind to your car.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GMB said:

Last year at the big 60,000 mile service I had a difficult time understanding what the Lexus service people had done to my car.

To explain: The schedule says change diff oil. This is built in to the fixed price. It was not changed but no reduction in price. After a few backwards and forwards talks I got the information that it is an option for the garage to decide. I don't think they even checked the oil but cannot be sure. So the dealer says don't do the work but charge for it anyway. On the next service I insisted on changing the diff oil and had to pay for the privilege ( that makes two payments for the same job in my opinion ).

This has been discussed before but some people say a diff oil change is not needed. So why not seal it for life and why have a means to refill?  I agree with Sigurdur above and think we should go with what we have been taught and not take the garages word for it. For example running-in and nursing a cold engine until the oil warms up etc.  Still valid arguments for a long healthy life for the car.  BTW a car that has been run badly means more work for the garage and more costs for the motorist. Logic innit.

This is 100% straight forward, change is a change, check is a check, there are no options here.     Lexus Japan knows what they are doing.      Those who say diff oil change is not needed do not have all the facts...   I got LSD diff and I am regular driving close to 0.8G., does the serviceman know that, NO so a change is a change and the F-Sport variants got a tighter maintenance schedule for the simple reason Lexus assumes that if you buy a F-Sport you are probably a driving man like me......

• Like 1

On YouTube is a good youtuber a workshop guy (only Toyota and Lexus) who did work for dealers, an honest man and at times talks about how workshops cut corners to make more profit.

The Car care nut

Edited by S.H.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Is anybody stating you don't have to look after a cold engine? Lexus do it for you on the LC where the rev limit automatically is lowered below 4,000 rpm when cold which steadily increases to 7,300 rpm as the engine warms up.

Thanks Colin  - Appreciate the understanding that some of us old fashioned engineering folk don't appreciate new methodology. No harm in being careful eh?

4 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Modern engines also warm up much quicker and the modern low viscosity oils help ensure good lubrication from start up

Don't believe everything they tell you. Reminds me of the story of the guy that tell his son to trust him and jump into a dark cellar where his father will be waiting to catch him.  Trust me son.. I will catch you. The boy jumps in and crashes to the floor breaking his leg. The Father says: Lesson number 1 in life - don't trust anybody.           Doh!!!!

8 hours ago, GMB said:

This same thing happened to me. But they gave me a different excuse (out of stock). In my opinion that excuse of its up to the garages is a lie. If it was an item just meant for inspection the service manual would say "inspect" not replace. If it says replace for that specific interval and they charge you the fixed price they MUST replace it. I kick up a fuss and threaten them with bad reviews and a complain to lexus.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links