Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I drove the Lexus LM 350h Takumi (in Scotland)

TomLC500h

Hey everyone,

Toyota UK invited me out to drive the new Lexus LM 350h Takumi. I can honestly say it is the most expensive Lexus that I have drive (more than any of LC), coming in at over £113k. The LM feels like a private jet for the road. The rear cabin is where all the attention is, 2 luxurious seats that feel akin to a first class plane seat than something in an automobile. There is a huge 48" screen for the rear passengers to enjoy, as well as shades that close at a touch of a button. Plenty of phone chargers, 3 pin UK sockets and mood lighting to accompany the fridge (and wishful thinking champagne that should be in it).

Up front it does feel more van like, you sit up high like in a Transit. There is no heads up display however you are treated with a blend of soft materials and copper piping. The technology is pretty much the same as you would find in a Lexus NX 350h. The main feature difference is a special rear passenger button that can help reduce dive under braking and acceleration.

I will attach some photos to this post for you all to enjoy. If anyone wants to see my video on the LM, feel free to check it out on CarsofGlasgow YouTube channel.

LM 350h rear.jpg

LM 350h loch 4.jpg

LM 350h loch 2.jpg

LM 350h loch 1.jpg

• Like 2

It would be interesting to know your opinion... what sort of person you would need to be to buy it? I assume one would buy it to sit in the back of it and the driver is more of hired employee... somehow can't see any vip taxi drivers spending £113k on something that customers may not appreciate over say S-Class.

Then assuming you buying one to be in the back of it... would you rather be in the back of say RX or LS, or the same old S-Class, or rather get out from LM?

I guess the point I am getting to... what is this car for? Especially in UK! I understand in some south-eastern Asian countries this body style is appreciated, but what kind of person one would need to be to have one in UK? What is the value proposition?

So one would have to be the person that spends a lot of time on the road, something in excess of 2 hours a day, somebody who needs basically an office space whilst on the move, yet somebody very rich to pay £100k+ price for the car and hire a driver for it... I just don't believe there are such people in UK, not more than 10 of them anyway. No matter how comfortable and impressive are back seats I just can't see any utility in them, certainly no more utility then one can get from 45min ride in S-Class or Range Rover from their office in London to their Private Jet... and then they can do work in the Jet... or if they have their Jet in regional airport (say something like EMA)... then they probably will get into helicopter and fly there... so their ride will be 15 min to closest London Heliport and then 25 min flight to regional airport. Where does LM fit in all this? For popping into Harrods? Again apart very few Asian ambassadors who used to this type of body style... most people would be embarrassed stepping out of one of these if impressing others is their goal. 

LM is impressive in many ways (it is impressively ugly for one), but I just can't wrap my head around their target market in UK. It is even less desirable than luxury pick-up truck in UK. Just not the type of car witch people would like to be seen in the back of and considering the price very few would want to drive one either.

I don't know, maybe I am missing something here, and maybe as you have been in one you could enlighten me - who is it for? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know, at first I thought it was very expensive. However a S class with the 2 first class style chairs are much more expensive. In the rear the LM is much more impressive than any other Lexus (or car) that I have been. I loved the rear blinds, the table and all the comforts back there. Driving wise it drove closer to a van than NX.

Interestingly they have sold the first 18 months allocation of LM in the UK, it has been quite popular apparently. 

I would say it is for chauffeur companies. If you want a further look, I did make a video of this LM for my YouTube channel, CarsofGlasgow.

Any other questions, just ask and I will do my best to answer.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links