Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Air filter only changed every 2 years by dealer

I took my 2017 IS300h into the dealer for an intermediate service.

They didn't change the filthy air filter, when I questioned it the answer, "we don't change it on an intermediate service", but the website says oil and filter change with every service.

The answer to that, "that means oil and pollen filter not air filter"

So your air filter won't get changed every year.

Don't waste your money on a service at Lexus.

• Like 1

I’m surprised they didn’t tell you it meant Oil Filter ! 

what mileage have you done between these services ? 
Malc 

Going to a dealership is a primarily for the service record & resale of the vehicle making it more appealing.

& the added bonus of an extended warranty at least with the Lexus/Toyota line up.

Have to agree with you I also experienced a similar issue but with Honda that had a Full service history it doesn't mean anything if items are neglected for cost saving shortcuts. Mine was also a filthy air filter it does make you question what else are they claiming to have done but haven't? There are posts on here where the differential fluid hasn't been changed either without putting up a fight.

On a positive on the IS300H it is a 60 second job to change the air filter just a couple of clips don't even need a screwdriver. Win win! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin Horton said:

They didn't change the filthy air filter, when I questioned it the answer, "we don't change it on an intermediate service", but the website says oil and filter change with every service.

The service interval for the air filter is every 4 years / 40,000 miles, so it shouldn't even be changed every major service.

Pollen filter should be changed every 2 years / 20,000 miles at each major service.

Oil filter should be changed every 1 year / 10,000 miles at each service.

• Like 2

'oil and filter change with every service' I read this as oil and oil filter change, surely if it meant air filter it would say air filter.

Happy to admit I'm wrong.

• Like 1

On a practical basis one changes the air filter when it’s well worn ……. You can tell this from its visual condition and knowing the air environments the cars been used in …….. sometimes even annually well before the 4 years if it’s looking knackered 🤔

A good working air filter will assist good economic motoring …… it’s not usually an expensive change 

Malc 

I change mine every year, and honestly it doesn't need. Pretty sure it states every other year on the Lexus UK website, so they right to do what they are doing. 

What I find really odd but the other way round is, diff oil every 2 years. Seems way to often... But I'm not brave enough to try let it go longer!

On 9/11/2024 at 7:51 PM, dazzlar said:

What I find really odd but the other way round is, diff oil every 2 years. Seems way to often... But I'm not brave enough to try let it go longer!

...At the same time, if you ask for it to be changed, some dealers will say the "it's for life" thing etc... I had to insist quite a bit for mine to be changed and they agreed almost as doing me a favour.
I may be wrong but I guess the critical diff oil change is the first one: in those first few years is when the mechanics of the differential are new and the most metal debris gets released due to use, (caught by the magnetic side of the diff cap). 

1 hour ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

At the same time, if you ask for it to be changed, some dealers will say the "it's for life" thing etc... I had to insist quite a bit for mine to be changed and they agreed almost as doing me a favour.
I may be wrong but I guess the critical diff oil change is the first one: in those first few years is when the mechanics of the differential are new and the most metal debris gets released due to use, (caught by the magnetic side of the diff cap). 

I know it is Sunday and I should have amore Christian attitude but.... if your car is badly maintained i.e. garage not changing or refilling critical components then it is more likely to lead (much sooner) to an expensive failure. Then..... who gets a ton of money fixing/replacing it?   It's on the same wavelength as not properly fixing the canbus issue - most stolen cars get replaced = more sales?    Cynical? Moi!

• Like 2

Air and polen filters change interwals are depends on air quality where the car is used. I used to work for a car dealer in east europe. And there was one air filter change for two oil changes interwals. But anyway, it had to be taken out and cleaned with a compressed air, that was essential minimum what had to be done. 

I've seen cars where air filters had to be changed twice within one oil change(6000mls). that usually happened with turbocharged cars.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links