Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Blue Death

Was dealing with what is known as the 'Blue Death'  screen something  you don't want to see appear on your PC. This is a problem that can have so many causes it really is hard to know where to start if you don't have an error code.

Anyway worked my way through causes eliminating step by step. As a last resort I thought may be it's overheating so for the first time in about X years I opened the tower up and shock horror enough dust to fill a mattress. Hoovered it clean starting with the fans and vents. At this point, success, that appears to have cleared it all up and we are now back in business with no mystery crashes and freezes for 3 days.

I had been thinking about a new PC to put at my daughters for when we are staying there and also a good backup for when this PC goes 'bang'. Wow, I cannot believe where the hardware has gone in the years since I last bought. I only posted all this to show you just what they have now got available. No more PC tower the size of a large briefcase. Look below at this little diddy. I posed it alongside a 7" Kindle tablet so you can see the size. Monitor speakers are crap ,but I just connected up my old Altec Lansing (nothing special), fiddled with the advanced setting to optimise and bang Beth Hart never sounded better.

Lexigirl just became the new screen shot !! Do I like this car....just a lot lot.

New Pc.jpg

• Like 2

Love the screenshot 😇

Towers went long back of course ……… my latest desktop computer ( for me and my business ) well, you’d never find the computer gubbins it must be miniscule ……. BUT they don’t last long I’m afraid in much daily use ……. maybe a year or two before summat goes pop and it’s a bin job …… so watch out ! 

Lucky my son-in-law is an expert teccy guy for a school group and can “ recover “. all my bits and bobs software whatever and sorts out the very latest sensible computer for me at “ trade “  🤞 

I wouldn’t envy you’re being “ lost “ sorting out any replacement computer …… it’s sooooo challenging 

I’d despair if I didn’t have his professional help 

Lucky my business pays for it all of course thankfully 👏👍👏

NOW my Delhi Office computers …… bloody hell, they really are State of the Art and possibly do stuff Zuckerberg or Musk could only dream of …….. we might even be able to fire-up that next Space Station 🥳

Sorry I go on at length ……. it’s an old age thingy maybe 😔

Its what UK  OAPs  can sometimes do 😄🙃😇

Malc 

Below are a couple of dirty ones that I personally didn't have to deal with (just photos from Google) but I have had more than my fair share of dirty ones to deal with during my days as a self-employed computer repair technician.

Smokers are the worst ones for me. I've never wanted to even have a single drag of any tobacco product and I absolutely abhor cigarette smoke, finding it acrid and horrible.

If it was really bad I would put up the price of the repair. I've even refused to take on the job if it's really, really bad, but assuming I took it home, the first thing for a smoker's machine would be out to the air compressor and a good blast with the gun.

dirty1.thumb.png.b58d949b5e11a21f220b2d858a3013ff.png

dirty2.thumb.png.66daf3d07194ccdb2949657023753c1e.png

dirty3.png.6fb7733388c08f1901fdb5ff2ed06e36.png

P.S. Stephen - I'll almost guarantee that it's been hot enough for the thermal compound between the CPU and its fan heatsink will have gone solid and is no longer doing its job. I'd recommend that you get a tube of something like Thermaltake MX4, remove the old stuff with Isopropyl Alcohol and reseat the heatsink on a blob of fresh compound.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

My pc is a tiny ssd silent one. Little box under the screen.

IMG_20240907_233219.jpg

Yes, these are called mini pc's. SSD is solid state diskdrive which keeps the noise level down and in the main provides a higher data retrieval rate.

Mine packs a higher processor than a I7, along with 32mb DDR5 dual channel ram AND 500 gb SSD all easily plug and play expandable. As if I am ever going to need more than that!

I guess if I have any concern it might be longevity rather than obscelescense.

4 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Below are a couple of dirty ones that I personally didn't have to deal with (just photos from Google) but I have had more than my fair share of dirty ones to deal with during my days as a self-employed computer repair technician.

Smokers are the worst ones for me. I've never wanted to even have a single drag of any tobacco product and I absolutely abhor cigarette smoke, finding it acrid and horrible.

If it was really bad I would put up the price of the repair. I've even refused to take on the job if it's really, really bad, but assuming I took it home, the first thing for a smoker's machine would be out to the air compressor and a good blast with the gun.

I mean yuk! Mine was nothing like that. My dust was CLEAN (sic).😁

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Boomer54 said:

Yes, these are called mini pc's. SSD is solid state diskdrive which keeps the noise level down and in the main provides a higher data retrieval rate.

Mine packs a higher processor than a I7, along with 32mb DDR5 dual channel ram AND 500 gb SSD all easily ig and play expandable. As if I am ever going to need more than that!

I guess if I have any concern it might be longevity rather than obscelescense.

Talking in this Foreign Language should be banned on this Forum 🤣😂

does anybody comprehendo 🤔

Or might be you’re just very very clever ……. Well you must be, you’re a Lexus owner 😇

Malc 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Brainpick. (Wow had to go back and manually amend that computer generated typo). 

So, mysterious mouse freezes, random pc crash, occasional blue death screen that disappeared so fast you can't even grab the error code. Does that all sound like a problem created via heating not being able to be vented quickly enough?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

I mean yuk! Mine was nothing like that. My dust was CLEAN (sic).😁

I am not joking here. I brush dust up it gets thrown and told get a wash before you come back!

• Haha 1

Stephen …… Those mouses you know …….. we have 3 cats now and if they show their whiskers then that’s it ….. KAPUT ……. no need for any Whiskas for tea that day 👌

AND what’s more …… PC crashes ……. into your car …… hope she/he’s insured eh 

Why is all this compoota languidge so challenging 🥵

😇

Malc 

59 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

So, mysterious mouse freezes, random pc crash, occasional blue death screen that disappeared so fast you can't even grab the error code. Does that all sound like a problem created via heating not being able to be vented quickly enough?

Very good chance of that my friend. Heat is very much the nemesis of any computer system, which is one reason that I mentioned the thermal paste earlier - I'll bet next month's pension that it's all dried up and doing nothing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links