Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Low noise runflat tyres

I will need new front tyres soon, and intend to replace the Bridgestone Turanza T005A run-flat tyres with low noise run-flats.

I am considering the following A-rated (67dB) tyres: 

• Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 K127B HRS
  • Yokohama BlueEarth-XT Z.P.S AE61
  • Dunlop SP Sport Maxx ROF 67EC             

I would appreciate comments from members who have experience with any of these tyres, to help me decide which one to go for. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm Kemp said:

I will need new front tyres soon, and intend to replace the Bridgestone Turanza T005A run-flat tyres with low noise run-flats.

Just a thought, Malcolm…Are you replacing all four tyres or just the fronts?  I’m not too clear from your post.

It’s just that having different tyres on the two axles can prove to be a very bad idea.  In any case, even when replacing the same tyres,  the newer ones should always go on the rear axle.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies; I'll go for the Dunlops.  I'm only replacing the front tyres as the rear ones still have 6mm tread. 

Len, can you explain why the newer tyres should go on the rear axle?

Mainly better grip if I am not mistaken, years ago it used to common practice to put them on the front but that has since changed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malcolm Kemp said:

Len, can you explain why the newer tyres should go on the rear axle?

I see that Chris has already provided a link to an excellent Auto Express article that explains that. In fact I think you’ll find that information on most tyre manufacturers’ websites.

Here’s another article about the dangers of mixing tyres…

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/mixing-tyres

The problem with mixing tyre makes is that even if you’ve exactly matched the size, you’ll be faced with different tread patterns and - less obviously - different compounds.  The result will be that the tyres will respond differently and unpredictably to the road and driving conditions.

This may well be an unhappy experience!

The other problems to watch out for are fitting asymmetrical tyres on the wrong sides and directional tyres rotating the wrong way!  Astonishingly, it does happen!

Frustrating though it must be, it’s always best to fit the same tyres all round - and put the newest on the rear axle if just replacing two.

• Like 2

Evening Malcolm i see your UX is same year as mine. Ive done a bit of research on this and when i change which like you will be soon i identified the Hankook you mention; were they 67db if my memory serves me. I think thats what i will go for in all honesty i dont think i would notice diffence on sound as opposed to Bridgestone though club members on here say different. Happy driving. 

• Like 1

I think you are right Brent, the noise difference is probably minimal particularly when only changing two tyres. But I think I'll give it a try anyway, and will change the other two tyres to match when the time comes.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links