Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Did anyone else realise....

....that the tracker being fitted in response to the CANbus debacle is a one time only, single use device?

I certainly didn't until about an hour ago when I saw it mentioned by Lee (Toyota Owner) in the NX forum - thanks Lee.

So, what happens if the car is stolen and recovered due to the tracker doing its job? Do Lexus then provide a new tracker free of charge or would we have to pay for it?

image.thumb.png.80f830dec26d62d23ec0ca4240905b57.png

• Like 2

Hi Herbie,

Curiouser and curiouser...

By one use does it mean throw the entire tracker away or just replace the Battery? I'm trying to figure out why the tracker hardware would be a 1 shot type of thing... If that's what it really means.

Paul

Ahhh... Does this mean the plastic card you get is for the one time tracker and the tracker phone application is just for the geofence device?

So if the vehicle is stolen you need to call the number on the card and give them the serial number from the card? But this is independent of the geofence device, from which we can track our vehicles through the app?

Paul

First you have to report the vehicle stolen to the Police, obtain a crime reference number, then contact Tracker to report the theft. 

Most S7 tracking devices don't have driver recognition so the monitoring company wont know the vehicle has been stolen unless you tell them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PDM said:

Ahhh... Does this mean the plastic card you get is for the one time tracker and the tracker phone application is just for the geofence device?

So if the vehicle is stolen you need to call the number on the card and give them the serial number from the card? But this is independent of the geofence device, from which we can track our vehicles through the app?

Paul

Yes, I think that's right.  Phone app is for the geofence device, which even if found and removed, sends an alert to your app so you know what's happening and can (hopefully!) do something about it before the car's gone.  I had no idea that the tracker was a "one use" device but perhaps this is down to the promise of a proper fix being due (something which I seriously doubt will ever happen). 

• Like 2

Seems to be down to the Battery as I've just found this text:

The Battery Powered Retrieve has a 5-year life span from the date of
installation. The Battery is designed as a one-time use operation, therefore,
if your vehicle is ever stolen, the Tracker unit will need to be replaced*

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

The trackers we get don't have a phone app, that's for the more expensive S5 version:

2024-09-07.thumb.png.37823579ac57598d55cc8999500b91fe.png

Herbie,

You should have been offered both a tracker and an OBD geofence device (which also reports position) which does have an app. Did you get both installed?

Paul

51 minutes ago, PDM said:

Herbie,

You should have been offered both a tracker and an OBD geofence device (which also reports position) which does have an app. Did you get both installed?

Paul

Good question Paul - no one mentioned the Geofence device or related app so maybe I've not got it. I'll ring Lexus Preston on Monday to clarify. Cheers.

They're rolling the geofence out in customer priority order.  I have been told I'm on the list and to expect one in the next shipment to them this month.  Other dealerships may have differing waiting times so it won't necessarily be fitted when the tracker is.

The tracker, while a one time use device, once replaced after activation the subscription continues for whatever period is left. Confirmed with company rep.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, peniole said:

The tracker, while a one time use device, once replaced after activation the subscription continues for whatever period is left. Confirmed with company rep.

Who pays for this replacement device, Lexus OR the vehicle owner? 

59 minutes ago, Toyota Owner said:

Who pays for this replacement device, Lexus OR the vehicle owner? 

That is the question, sorry I don't have an answer to that one.

To add to the confusion, we were promised a geofence obd device with the tracker.  What I actually received was a £20 Trackm8 obd tracker, with web reviews saying it doesn't work for many people.  It arrived in the post with no instructions and I had to google for the app, which doesn't mention any geofence shut down/immobilise capability.  It seems it's just a cheap app based tracker which requires a phone app to work, then, from owner reports online, a majority say it's a waste of time. I'll see how it performs and report back.

42 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

To add to the confusion, we were promised a geofence obd device with the tracker.  What I actually received was a £20 Trackm8 obd tracker, with web reviews saying it doesn't work for many people.  It arrived in the post with no instructions and I had to google for the app, which doesn't mention any geofence shut down/immobilise capability.  It seems it's just a cheap app based tracker which requires a phone app to work, then, from owner reports online, a majority say it's a waste of time. I'll see how it performs and report back.

This is very odd.  I believe I have a "tracker locate" as the OBD geofence.  At least this seems to be the only one that connects to the tracker app other than the S5.  So I assume they install a Battery powered "tracker retrieve" (no app) and a "tracker locate" which has an app. It seems very odd if they are providing different solutions to different owners/parts of the country? FWIW the tracker touch app is working way more reliably to find the car and view trips than the Lexus plus app!  (So far the tracker has got 100% of trips recorded and always knows the vehicle location).

Paul

I have been given no details for any app to work with the tracker (single use one) nor any registration details nor app details for the TrackM8 OBD.  All I have is the device which says it's the "Connect 330" model.  My patience is fast running out with lexus 🤬  Despite calling for assistance, no one was available for the call and I'm still waiting for a call back.  For two pins, I'll end up driving to the dealership and asking to speak with the MD. Not what I have come to expect from Lexus.  The whole customer experience around this security issue makes me regret ever buying the car.

Tracker Touch app > try testing the geo-fencing feature and 'safe mode' setting by driving your car outside the geo fence radius and see if you get any alerts?

Lexus seem to have created an expensive car and made it very easy to steal and then provided a tracking solution that doesnt alert the owner that their car has been nicked unless I'm missinf something? 

I find this situation to be really weird.

I bought one of these Rewire Security DB2 trackers for just under 35 quid (price varies as offers come and go) and the sheer wealth of information you get from it is astounding, including the ability to set geofence zones as well as real-time tracking maps, journey history, distance and speed travelled and lots of other stuff. The only thing missing is the central monitoring and police involvement.

My point is, with regard to both the phone app and the geofence device, if the DB2 can do it for less than £35 and with no hassle, why is the Lexus 'solution' seemingly so hit-and-miss and complicated?

The problem with these trackers, especially the obd one, is that would be thieves will locate it in a nanosecond, remove it and it'll be lying on the ground where the car was parked, so I simply cannot see any merit or value in the obd device supplied.  Mine is a TrackM8 Connect c330, and is operated via the registration details (now suppled to me by Tracker), activated once registered and installed and whilst I get no phone alerts, I get an email if the car is moved or the tracker removed.  It really offers nothing in terms of protection or theft prevention, which means no insurance reductions.  Come on Lexus, try harder...protect our damned cars...we paid enough for them!  It's inexcusable that they haven't stumped up for at least a Ghost alarm/immobiliser or an even more secure encrypted device which was the obvious answer to our problem...ie prevent theft of the damned cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GSLV6 said:

The problem with these trackers, especially the obd one, is that would be thieves will locate it in a nanosecond, remove it and it'll be lying on the ground where the car was parked, so I simply cannot see any merit or value in the obd device supplied.  Mine is a TrackM8 Connect c330, and is operated via the registration details (now suppled to me by Tracker), activated once registered and installed and whilst I get no phone alerts, I get an email if the car is moved or the tracker removed.  It really offers nothing in terms of protection or theft prevention, which means no insurance reductions.  Come on Lexus, try harder...protect our damned cars...we paid enough for them!  It's inexcusable that they haven't stumped up for at least a Ghost alarm/immobiliser or an even more secure encrypted device which was the obvious answer to our problem...ie prevent theft of the damned cars.

The last communication I had with them said the CANblocker was coming "soon"!

They have been promising that a "CANblocker" is coming soon for at least a year or longer.  I have zero faith in anything they say in a feeble effort to placate those who have experienced attempted theft or have had their cars stolen.  Too little, too late.  What is unforgivable was marketing new cars, from 2017 until the Gen5 was released, which had no encryption of security signals piggy backed onto the lighting wiring.  How was that allowed to get past quality control?  Sheer incompetence, or worse, sheer indifference for the paltry additional effort it would have taken to at least encrypt the signals.  This is why an £80 dongle is all would be thieves need to bypass security and start/drive away any car not using encryption.  Lexus don't care about customers any longer, just about market share and profit.

On 9/10/2024 at 1:18 PM, PDM said:

This is very odd.  I believe I have a "tracker locate" as the OBD geofence.  At least this seems to be the only one that connects to the tracker app other than the S5.  So I assume they install a battery powered "tracker retrieve" (no app) and a "tracker locate" which has an app. It seems very odd if they are providing different solutions to different owners/parts of the country? FWIW the tracker touch app is working way more reliably to find the car and view trips than the Lexus plus app!  (So far the tracker has got 100% of trips recorded and always knows the vehicle location).

Paul

Another Fine Mess They,ve Got us in To..It Must Surely be a Laurel and Hardy Tracker..!!!!! I,m Sticking with my DB2 Tracker And Subscription..No Complications......

I would rather invest in my own additional security then rely on whatever the manufacturer will come up with or offer as a fix. 

The Thatcham tracker on my vehicle will send push notifications to my smart phone plus the monitoring company call me if the aftermarket Thatcham alarm / immobiliser is triggered - something one of the receptionist at the Toyota main dealer found out when they went to bring my vehicle back round to me after service 🤣

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links