Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Please advice on 2013 Lexus Ls 600h L

Hello all

Please help me and advice me if I should buy this car.  There is a 2013 Lexus Ls 600h L that has only 20 000 miles, sell for $40 000 and it has sit in the garage for 4 years without driving  

My question is:  the hybrid Battery, and the air suspensions have sit in the garage for 4 years, are they still good?  Or the hybrid Battery is dying, and the air suspension got deteriorated after 4 years without on the road.  Please help me and advice me if I should buy this car, because it has only 20 000 miles.  I will be very grateful for your helps

Hello all

Please also tell me how to check the hybrid Battery, and the air suspension to see if they are good or bad.   I will be very grateful for your helps

Hi

If the car has not been started at all then it will need proper recommissioning most likely by a Lexus Dealer (due to hybrid battery)

the following things will probably need attention:

1) 12V Battery

2) Hybrid Battery - most likely will need recharging

3) Tyres may have flat spots - may need replacing

4) Air suspension will need looking at for cracks and leaks - followed by test drive to assess how well it performs

5) Will need a major engine service.

hope this helps

• Like 1

Hello Mr. Cruisemark

Thanks for your advices.  The seller took the car to a Lexus Dealer, and the car is running.  I will test drive the car today

My questions are:  even though the hybrid Battery has been recharge, does the hybrid Battery still good, or it has been drained, and it will need to be replace soon,  because the hybrid Battery has not been started for 5 years

The seller is a very rich man, he will not have time for me to take it to a mechanic to check on the air suspension for leaks and cracks.  Given the test drive is good today,  do the air suspension is still good, if it has been sit in the garage for 5 years?  Or it already went bad, and it will need to be replace soon?

Please explain more about:  "5) Will need a major engine service."  What is needed for a major engine service?  Will it be expensive?

Please help me, and I will be very grateful 

1 hour ago, Dan4141 said:

Hello Mr. Cruisemark

Thanks for your advices.  The seller took the car to a Lexus Dealer, and the car is running.  I will test drive the car today

My questions are:  even though the hybrid battery has been recharge, does the hybrid battery still good, or it has been drained, and it will need to be replace soon,  because the hybrid battery has not been started for 5 years

The seller is a very rich man, he will not have time for me to take it to a mechanic to check on the air suspension for leaks and cracks.  Given the test drive is good today,  do the air suspension is still good, if it has been sit in the garage for 5 years?  Or it already went bad, and it will need to be replace soon?

Please explain more about:  "5) Will need a major engine service."  What is needed for a major engine service?  Will it be expensive?

Please help me, and I will be very grateful 

Check The Lexus Website For Exact Cost Of a Full Service..Possibly around 500/600

I'm repeating what everyone here knows:

- these are very special cars (I have a 2007 model) and the mileage is less important than the service history.

- these cars may be cheap to buy but they are very expensive to maintain (just a few examples: hybrid Battery £2000, air shocks £1001 per corner, injectors £200 per unit. These prices are from Lexus dealer and do not include taxes or labour and they are in UK pounds).

Now that I have one I would not want to part with it.  I cannot really advise you but I certainly would not pay $40000 for a 2013 car, especially one that has been sitting for years...

If you buy it you will not be disappointed (it is a fine car - the more you drive it, the more you appreciate it) but what it will cost to keep it going is an open question...

• Like 2

You're welcome, sharing our experience/knowledge is what this club is about.

4 hours ago, Dan4141 said:

Hello Mr. Gen.  Thank you very much

• 1 month later...

Have read this thread with great interest.
As a 76 year old widower my thoughts over recent months have been to conclude my time behind the wheel with a touch of comfort & luxury and the 600h (around 2010 - 2013) has been top of my wish list.
Scare stories make me wary of independent car dealers and/or private sales having used nothing but main dealers for the past 50 years. And main dealers tend not to sell such old stock - when they do it looks way overpriced. I'd greatly appreciate some guidance of buying outside of main dealerships.
What is the best advice to avoid getting landed with a dud?
What are thoughts on Jap imports, they come keenly priced. I cross checked insurance costs and it was lower for a same spec import! Spare parts? Must be basically the same as UK spec?
Are the advertised RAC and/or AA assured badge or warranties any good?
Thanks for reading this far :-)

Stefan hi,        
When I thought LAST YEAR to buy a Jap import Ls600 I was almost there BUT what turned me off was the seeming impossibility to get it all, everything, all knobs dials gauges hieroglyphics totally in English ……. some of it residualed to Japanese whatever 

Yes an import seemed fantastic value for money ….. always low miles and super quality with the same on-going Lexus parts costs and all 

And probably a simply great car to own, drive and thoroughly ENJOY for years ahead 

If you’re ok accepting some non-English with your new car then all could be well ……. 

In the end I bought my 2nd, J reg 91  Ls400 with 97k genuine miles ……. more or less replicated my very first J reg one a Qtr century ago 👍

Having two great, aged and a bit worn Ls400s should see me out too …… I’m 74 and thoroughly enjoy my Ls motoring knowing, from experience, that they’ll give me great and thoroughly enjoyable secure comfy motoring forever and a day 🤞🤞🤞

………. wherever I should wish them to take me

Good luck making your right decision 

🙏 

Malc 

12 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Stefan hi,        

Having two great, aged and a bit worn Ls400s should see me out too …… I’m 74 and thoroughly enjoy my Ls motoring knowing, from experience, that they’ll give me great and thoroughly enjoyable secure comfy motoring forever and a day 🤞🤞🤞

………. wherever I should wish them to take me

Good luck making your right decision 

🙏

Malc 

Great to hear from an enthusiastic convert Malc, many thanks!

• Like 1

Stefan, I don’t know how long you’ve had your RAV4 but I’m thinking you’ve been totally protected from the vagaries of owning a challenging car these past years and expect the same from a Ls600 ……… my bro-in-law has his RAV4 and whilst a car-nut generally ( racing his mini years past up the Selvio Pass whatever ) and plenty of dosh to buy any car he could now wish for, is very content with his brill aged RAV4 …….. just take care wanting to move into the unknown, albeit a Lexus 😅

Good luck 

Malc 

1 hour ago, YoungVanish said:

Great to hear from an enthusiastic convert Malc, many thanks!

Hi Stefan and welcome to the LOC, as you have already discovered our members are all happy to help with any questions and we are one of the most friendly forums.

Given your username I would assume you live near a pub by the same name near to the M1 junction 29? 😀

6 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Hi Stefan and welcome to the LOC, as you have already discovered our members are all happy to help with any questions and we are one of the most friendly forums.

Given your username I would assume you live near a pub by the same name near to the M1 junction 29? 😀

So close if it's raining I can walk there without getting wet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Malc1 said:

just take care wanting to move into the unknown, albeit a Lexus 😅

Good luck 

Oh Malc!  Words of caution.
That takes me a step backwards (again). For months now it's been yes I will . . or should I? . . . nah, stick with the RAV . . . oooh, don't know though . . . . repeat.

Thing is I do very little mileage, 12k over the past 5 years, which is more likely to reduce than increase. I'm SO SO tempted for my final few driving years to be coddled in comfort.

Yes I will, no I won't, aaaggghhh!

Have you ever driven an older Ls400 ?   They are generally bullet proof in all respects and void of much supatech and all that fragility 🤞🤞

Malc 

Wise words Malc1.  I would also suggest either the 400 or 430: they are both very comfortable and much more reliable than the 600 (it just has too many things to go wrong and all expensive to fix).  Even the "Car Care Nut" says the 430 is the best Lexus.  Ideally one would buy an Ls400 from the early years (so no interference engine to worry about) but finding a good from that era will be hard... Anyway you just might be lucky (and, of course, we all hope for that...) in your purchase of....whatever is smiling at you!

• Like 1

On Youtube, " The car care nut " a former master technician has a video that you should watch. Like all other learned members have already outlined, these are top of the range in everything, you drive them once and you will never want to hear about any other car.

The hybrid Battery can be reconditioned, the air suspension can be inspected, their Achilles heel is the cooling system, coolant leaks in the valley between the V banks and is tedious to repair but most important if you do not check the coolant level, the engine will pack up.

Every time you need a service or a repair, you may have to visit your bank. 

Test drive it and put everything in the balance. I would buy it if I lived  in England, there you can find alternative spare parts, you have options.

Chris.

Stefan hi ……… any closer to a rational decision 😂🤣

Aged and wealthy helps …….. a sinking fund of some £££££ size might be appropriate ……… what’s your thoughts ? 

Malc 

17 hours ago, YoungVanish said:

So close if it's raining I can walk there without getting wet!

Small world!
My Brother-not-in-Law used to live in Bramley Vale and his better half at the time worked as a waitress at the Young Vanish for a couple of years.
I have eaten there several times :thumbup:

As a matter of interest, apparently the censor-morons have deemed the word (Josey Wales,...opposite of inlaw) to be VERBOTEN. Why, I have no idea! 🤣
Doesn't even asterisk it out, just removes the word completely.

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Stefan hi ……… any closer to a rational decision 😂🤣

Aged and wealthy helps …….. a sinking fund of some £££££ size might be appropriate ……… what’s your thoughts ? 

Malc 

Rational decision making tells me - don't go there.

Being irrational occasionally though injects some spice to life . . . albeit at a possible cost as many have pointed out. I feel I'm being convinced of a 400/430 may be the way to go.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, YoungVanish said:

I feel I'm being convinced of a 400/430 may be the way to go.

I've never driven a Ls430  .......  only owned a Ls400 pretty much constantly for 25+ years and maybe got accustomed to the quality of all that Lexus stuff ..  and over at least some 250k miles or more happy driving  ......  much less now of course sadly  ..  age creeps up on one eh !

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links