Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

PHEV useable battery capacity

The Battery management system on my RX450h+ won't allow the traction Battery to fall below 20% to 30% no matter how I drive it so the maximum full charge after a long run is is 14.3kWh, does anyone get different numbers to this?

My understanding was that regular discharging of the traction Battery to less than 20/30% would shorten its life. I still get 50 miles range in EV, which is more than that quoted so I'm happy!

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the answer.

We never get to use the full capacity of the Battery because charging or discharging too far would drastically shorten its life. Think of it as a buffer at both top and bottom. The graphical representation that we see onscreen is only showing us 'our' usable part of it, not the Battery as a whole.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2024 at 8:36 PM, AWC said:

The battery management system on my RX450h+ won't allow the traction battery to fall below 20% to 30% no matter how I drive it so the maximum full charge after a long run is is 14.3kWh, does anyone get different numbers to this?

Nope, that’s right. EV mode can only use approx 70% of the Battery. The remainder is kept for hybrid driving to maintain the full engine power in all circumstances.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tickedon said:

Nope, that’s right. EV mode can only use approx 70% of the battery. The remainder is kept for hybrid driving to maintain the full engine power in all circumstances.

So whatever EV mode range you are getting is achieved using just 12.67kWh of power which is a little over 3.2 m/kWh in my case whereas the centre dial usually reads somewhere between 2.2 m/kWh and 2.8 m/kWh?

9 hours ago, AWC said:

So whatever EV mode range you are getting is achieved using just 12.67kWh of power which is a little over 3.2 m/kWh in my case whereas the centre dial usually reads somewhere between 2.2 m/kWh and 2.8 m/kWh?

Lexus has never been specific about the exact percentage. 

If you deplete the EV mode, and then drive the car hard depleting the Battery further without any real chance to recharge (e.g. going downhill, spare petrol engine energy) you’ll find it takes a bit more energy when you plug it in. If you just deplete the EV miles, you’ll find it takes less than 14kw from the plug. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is the 2.2-2.8 reading historical? If you zero the reading after a recharge you should get the present range. Mine varies between 3.2 and 3.4 at the moment however with temperatures dropping I expect a return to 2.6-2.8 before long!

3 hours ago, Ken R said:

Is the 2.2-2.8 reading historical? If you zero the reading after a recharge you should get the present range. Mine varies between 3.2 and 3.4 at the moment however with temperatures dropping I expect a return to 2.6-2.8 before long!

I've got it set to read the "instantaneous electricity consumption", the reading does seem to be pretty dynamic and changes quite rapidly as driving conditions change, got up to 3.0 briefly during a long 50 mph motorway run.

In the manual under EV mode:

Current electricity consumption

Displays the instantaneous current elec- tricity consumption.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links