Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Are the Lexus IS Hybrids (no rust) going to be classics..

Here I am at 63" and a petrol head all of my life so I have seen quite many market/evolvement over my lifespan. This dropped to my head after a visit to my Lexus dealer here in Iceland (did buy some more rustproofing stuff)

I looked over the showroom floor and there was absolutely NOTHING that even remotely got my attention, no IS or CT variants replacements on the market. There are new EU regulations coming and if I remember to the Brits to..

The EU wants to get ride of ICE cars one way or the other and the total ban from EU is now up to 2035" max. In my country (Iceland) they (to make a long story short) changed it to 2028" but our EV infrastructure is a joke just say it as it is.

And the other regulation that is coming (there was a British youtuber that took a deep dive into that matter, I need to find the link later) in that regulation then welding and replacing some car parts is a driving BAN (in short). From my point

this is plain stupid cos the market should decide if a repair is cost effective or not. A year ago I went through all of this but do not remember the details except no rust and a reliable car could go along way to beat these new regulations.

Regarding the ICE issue I can see few other solutions to reduce the carbon footprint and polution like a plug in except with an ICE as a generator (multi type fuel) etc... P.S. I can not see only one solution to all of this, here I agree with Toyota ECO.

kind regards. I know there are some clever minded ppl here that remember more about this subject than I do. Kind regards

10 hours ago, Spock66 said:

I don't think any modern car will become a classic, the electronics are the Achilles heel as the car ages and parts become unavailable.

I agree 100% but then I would never daily drive a classic like an E-Type. What I was thinking about was as a daily drive that could outlast the IS class of cars...... under the coming rules,

In best case I got about 20 years of driving left. 

anythings possible, look at how even fairly rubbish 80's cars  are now considered 'classics' which were just old bangers a few years back..

But yes the heavy reliance on computers will end up bricking most modern cars long term..

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links